"The Simpsons" premiered 25 years ago today.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I miss Lionel Hutz and Troy Maclure, but the repeats are so often that I had no idea until a few years ago that they hadn't appeared since 1998!

Benno123 and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  2. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I did find the 90's past episode funny.
    [​IMG]

johnnypaddock likes this.
  3. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

I remember my sister had some episodes taped on VHS...I was 8 or 9. I'm 32 now so that's about right. It will be a sad day when it is off the air.

4. The Snodger

The Snodger Forum Resident

They didn't appear after 1998 as Phil Hartman was tragically murdered by his wife that year.

MikaelaArsenault and goodiesguy like this.
  5. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Yes, such a shame. Not only did we lose two great characters, but a real life was lost as well :(

6. The show was never really the same after they tragically lost Phil Hartman.

7. mep

mep Forum Resident

Is there any hope, that Fox will remaster and release the early episodes and seasons on BD somewhere in the nearer future ? Quite sad, how mediocre most of the great classy Simpsons episodes look on those almost two decades old DVD-releases I own...

8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Who would have ever guessed it would turn into the longest running primetime sitcom ever

9. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

better then

10. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I like em like that. Thats how they were meant to be. Not everything needs to be remastered.

Huntigula, Grand_Ennui and Benno123 like this.
  11. I doubt it, Fox has stopped caring about issuing television on Blu-ray. The remastered episodes will remain exclusive to the new syndication deal for a while.

12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I agree. The DVDs all look fine and I honestly could not care less if they ever get upgraded. :)

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I think that my eight-year-old daughter must be sick of hearing me proclaim, "Can you believe that I was still in high school when this show began?" every time we watch The Simpsons together. "And Mama was exactly as old as you are now!"

As far as I'm concerned, the show can go on for another 25 years, and I won't object. Preposterous plots, recycled scripts, jokes that try way, way too hard...I still laugh out loud at least a dozen times, week in and week out. I have no inclination to wear my critic's hat while I'm watching the show; it entertains me, and that's all I need to give it a half-hour of my time 25 or so weeks a year.

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I found that Target is selling seasons 14 and 15 for $9.99 a pop (they also had 16 for $14.99 but that's too much). I had previously drawn the line at Season 11 but at this price I couldn't resist. Damn. Now I have to get 12 and 13 to plug the hole. But that's it. I'm not going past 15. I've probably already sailed out into hostile waters. I don't want to be reminded of how far the show has fallen from greatness. At least now I have that "Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp" episode that I enjoyed so much.

15. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I watched a few episodes in 1990 via a Global (then City-TV) cable channel that was only carried by our cable company for a short time before it was dropped. I didn't see the show again until Fox was added to our cable package in 1994.

16. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

You must have been the only one who did. This particular episode gets a lot of hate since they retconned Homer and Marge's relationship.

17. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I gave up after S12 but dang it's a helluva accomplishment!

[​IMG]

18. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Season 13 and 14 are the best of the post best of era. 15 is ok and 16 is good. After that…

Jagger: It's only rock and roll fantasy camp Homer.

Homer: But I like it.

19. I was watching Deep Space Homer recently.:laugh:

The spacecraft has apparently been taken over, "conquered" if you will, by a master race of giant space ants. It's difficult to tell from this vantage point whether they will consume the captive earth men or merely enslave them. One thing is for certain. There is no stopping them; the ants will soon be here. And I for one welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality, I could be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves. - Kent Brockman

wayne66 and sparkydog like this.
  20. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

During the second decade of the show, it took me longer than most people to notice that SIMPSONS just wasn't funny anymore. I'd liked the show too much. There was a point where you could really tell that the animation was digital, rather than cell animated, and I think that's when i gave up on it.

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Thanks to the re-runs on FXX, I'm noticing some funny things in the newer episodes.... not as bad as I remembered.

sparkydog likes this.
  22. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

That's the way it usually happens. Once you stop comparing to previous episodes, you see the funny that has always been there. Is the writing weaker? Yes but not on every episode.

23. I did get a kick out of the Reverend Jim / Christopher Lloyd appearance in last night's episode.

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Lisa eats eggs ?!

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I saw it, too!
    They say there are 'levels' of 'vegan' that you can be.
    Some eat cheese..... some eat eggs.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.