The Small Faces - Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake 50th?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Electric Sydney, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m hoping someone can help me understand what is intended to be released in reference to this Small Faces album. It seems to me, there will be a single cd release of the album shortly but there will be vinyl and cd box sets released in September. Do I have it right?

2. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

[​IMG]

Ogdens’ Nut Gone Flake (50th Anniversary 3LP Box Set)
    by Small Faces
    Released: 28th September 2018
    THE 50th ANNIVERSARY OF THE ICONIC 1968 ALBUM CELEBRATED WITH DELUXE TRIPLE VINYL BOX SET
    • Originally released by Andrew Loog Oldham’s Immediate Records on 24 May 1968 and soon hit the No.1 spot where it stayed for 6 weeks.
    • Critically acclaimed and still featuring in albums-you-must-own-polls, it is by far and away the Small Faces’ best-known and most successful album
    • Includes ‘Lazy Sunday’, ‘Afterglow’ plus ‘Song Of A Baker’ and live favourite ‘Rollin’ Over’
    • Newly remastered by Nick Robbins at Soundmastering with the full cooperation of surviving Small Faces member Kenney Jones.
    • Cut at half-speed by Matt Colton at Alchemy Studios to give a better dynamic response, more defined and accurate sound and extended low frequency and smooth high-frequency response. This is the best Ogdens’ has ever sounded!
    • For the first time ever, both mono and stereo versions of the album plus an LP of rare bonus material will be released together on one deluxe, limited edition box set, pressed on 180-gram audiophile red, white and blue vinyl.
    • Deluxe booklet loaded with material, including in-depth sleeve notes by Small Faces authority and Mojo contributor Mark Paytress, interviews, rare photos and memorabilia.
    [​IMG]

Ogdens’ Nut Gone Flake (50th Anniversary 3CD + DVD Earbook)
    by Small Faces
    THE 50th ANNIVERSARY OF THE ICONIC 1968 ALBUM CELEBRATED WITH DELUXE TRIPLE CD + DVD HARDBACK BOOK
    • Originally released by Andrew Loog Oldham’s Immediate Records on 24 May 1968 and soon hit the No.1 spot where it stayed for 6 weeks.
    • Critically acclaimed and still featuring in albums-you-must-own-polls, it is by far and away the Small Faces’ best-known and most successful album
    • Includes ‘Lazy Sunday’, ‘Afterglow’ plus ‘Song Of A Baker’ and live favourite ‘Rollin’ Over’
    • Newly remastered by Nick Robbins at Soundmastering with the full cooperation of surviving Small Faces member Kenney Jones. This is the best Ogdens’ has ever sounded!
    • 60-page hardback book edition contains 3CDs for mono and stereo versions of the album plus rare bonus material
    • DVD contains the Small Faces legendary TV performance of “Happiness Stan” for the BBC’sColour Me Pop” programme in June 1968, together with Peter Whitehead’s promotional film for ‘Lazy Sunday’.
    • In-depth sleeve notes by Small Faces authority and Mojo contributor Mark Paytress, interviews, rare photos and memorabilia.
    [​IMG]

Ogdens’ Nut Gone Flake (180g 1LP w/ 6 roll fold booklet/ 12” x 12” artcard)
    by Small Faces

Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake is the third studio album and first concept album by the English rock band Small Faces. Released on 24 May 1968, the LP peaked at number one on the UK Album Charts on 29 June, where it remained for a total of six weeks. The title and the design of the distinctive packaging was a parody of Ogden's Nut-brown Flake, a brand of tobacco. These deluxe, Art Of The Album versions celebrate this seminal records 50th anniversary.

Vinyl cut at half speed mastering for finest audio quality at Alchemy Mastering.
    New liners notes by acclaimed music journalist Jon Savage.
    LP comes with 12” x 12” art print.
    180g LP also contains 6 page roll fold booklet.

[​IMG]

Ogdens’ Nut Gone Flake (1CD mediabook)
    by Small Faces

Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake is the third studio album and first concept album by the English rock band Small Faces. Released on 24 May 1968, the LP peaked at number one on the UK Album Charts on 29 June, where it remained for a total of six weeks. The title and the design of the distinctive packaging was a parody of Ogden's Nut-brown Flake, a brand of tobacco. These deluxe, Art Of The Album versions celebrate this seminal records 50th anniversary.

Vinyl cut at half speed mastering for finest audio quality at Alchemy Mastering.
    New liners notes by acclaimed music journalist Jon Savage.
    CD is deluxe 28 page mediabook feature archive photos and memorabilia.

Hi @Electric Sydney, I hope this answers your question, cheers Richie.

bhazen, jh901, Mike Griffiths and 3 others like this.
  3. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident Thread Starter

It sure does! Thank you.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  4. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Is this what Caiger teased us? The same 3 CD as from 2012 but tracks in different order on bonus CD? Mr Hype. :thumbsdow:thumbsdow

5. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

This is the tracklist that spin has for it, my copy of the previous release is not to hand so is there anything new here

CD1 (mono)

1. Ogdens` Nut Gone Flake

2. Happiness Stan

3. Afterglow

4. Rollin` Over

5. Long Agos And Worlds Apart

6. The Hungry Intruder

7. Rene

8. The Journey

9. Song Of A Baker

10.Mad John

11.Lazy Sunday

12.Happydaystoytown

CD2 (stereo)

1. Ogdens` Nut Gone Flake

2. Happiness Stan

3. Afterglow

4. Rollin` Over

5. Long Agos And Worlds Apart

6. The Hungry Intruder

7. Rene

8. The Journey

9. Song Of A Baker

10.Mad John

11.Lazy Sunday

12.Happydaystoytown

CD3

1. Ogdens` Nut Gone Flake (early session version - mono)

2. Happiness Stan (backing track - mono)

3. Afterglow (alternate USA mix)

4. Bun In The Oven (early session mix)

5. Long Agos And Worlds Apart (alt USA mix - stereo)

6. The Fly (take 4 - Instrumental version - stereo)

7. Rene, The Dockers` Delight (early session mix)

8. Mad John (take 7 - backing track - mono)

9. Song Of A Baker (alt USA mix - stereo)

10.Happydaystoytown (alt USA mix - stereo)

11.Lazy Sunday (alt USA mix - stereo)

12.Kamikhazi (take 7 - backing track - mono)

13.Every Little Bit Hurts (early session mix - mono)

14.Ogdens` Nut Gone Flake (alt take - phased mix - stereo)

Mike Griffiths likes this.
  6. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Why would they redo the mono all over again when Kenney Jones allegedly oversaw the last "definitive" vinyl remaster just a couple of years ago?

This is a great record kind of haphazardly recorded. I don't think a half speed master will be any kind of revelation but we will see.

Here's what they said about the 2012 mono remaster. Sounds familiar:

This Collectors’ vinyl edition was cut from an original analogue master tape on a Neumann VMS 80 mastering lathe by Matt Colton at Air Studios during February 2012, under the supervision of Kenney Jones. The album on heavyweight 180-gram vinyl is a lavish recreation of the original Immediate mono LP albeit with some additional elements. The disc is thus housed in the distinctive award-winning round 5-panel sleeve.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    Surferghost likes this.
  7. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No. All of this same material has been out before on the 3CD release... I also have the excellent Reelin' in the Years Productions DVD Small Faces: All or Nothing, so I don't need the Colour Me Pop DVD (although is the "Lazy Sunday" promo something that's not included there? Can't remember). Will be skipping this release

Surferghost and hallucalation like this.
  8. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Does this have a definite stereo mix? I'm a bit ignorant I know but this album is sublime and while I love the power and vibe of mono, this album in perfect stereo is something I need to hear!

9. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

For a band who's history is littered with unauthorized/half-authorized/authorized but poorly mastered releases, and who's surviving members a few years ago tried to clean that mess up with the definitive versions of their albums, they are doing a good job of muddying the waters themselves. Having said that this album did need to be re-released since the last 3 cd set has become so expensive. Did it need to be remastered? That is the question.

Surferghost likes this.
  10. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I need this album in my collection, but I can't justify $55 + $21 shipping.

Sorry for OT, but is the more affordable 2xCD Mono+stereo bonus tracks digibook version from 2017 have a respectable mastering job?

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I have this one and unfortunately it's actually the Mono and Bonus Tracks CD's, no Stereo. I found a rather cheap copy of the previous 3CD Deluxe Edition to finally get the Stereo disc.

The 2CD digibook of the Immediate Self-Titled on the other hand is the Mono and Stereo.

Mark

DaverJ likes this.
  12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I'd want the 3 CD set to be the definitive absolute but then I'd probably also want a highball colonic.

13. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

What a load of bollocks. I will still buy it mind. Very disappointing so not holding much hope for "The Autumn Stone" deluxe.....

Surferghost and peachyg72 like this.
  14. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Yep.

DaverJ likes this.
  15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I was keen on this, if only for Kenney's scrawl on the print, but I played back my old CD copy, and honestly, I don't really enjoy the album that much, and not enough for a £60 issue.

noahjld likes this.
  16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Well Here Comes The Nice and the Decca Years CD boxes were remastered much nicer than the 2012 DEs so hopefully they take that approach this time knowing the Nut Flake Goners will buy better remasterings if nothing else.

17. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Is that how much it's going for?!?!

[​IMG]

Surferghost and noahjld like this.
  18. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Is the single CD stereo or mono?

bobcat and sound chaser like this.
  19. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

On Twitter today, Rob Caiger said this about the new sets: "For vinyl, its all newly mastered to vinyl, cut at 1/2-speed. For CD, MFiT and digital download, its again newly remastered as I managed to track down some better sources for part of the masters. To my ears, there is an improvement to previous editions."

20. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Really Rob,really? Pray enlighten us.

Surferghost likes this.
  21. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I will not believe anything he says. Another hype to sell the the same stuff over and over again.

noahjld, Chris M and Surferghost like this.
  22. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Stereo

bobcat and Spitfire like this.
  23. Geoff Whiteley

Geoff Whiteley Well-Known Member

This album has been in my local (Derby, UK) for three weeks, £20. Can't decide whether to buy it or not. I was never a fan, really.

24. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Meh. A milking too far for this fan.

It saddens me to say that I don't need this one little bit. In fact, at £60 I find it rather an insulting offering. Although admittedly £60 is substantially less than I was expecting them to try and rip me off for.

There is still no sign of that 1968 BBC session that hasn't ever been issued in it's complete form. That should be one of the major draws of an Ogden's SDE, if only they could be bothered to include it. Seemingly, although we know that at least three of the four tracks exist in excellent quality, they also won't be bothering to include it on The Autumn Stone reissue, either (remember The Autumn Stone?).

The best Small Faces release since the Nice and Decca Years boxes remains the Belgium '66 Live CD from earlier this year, which by no small coincidence had no connection whatsoever to this reissue programme. Of course I'll buy The Autumn Stone, should they ever condescend to release it, but it will be a purely perfunctory purchase to finally complete my original album reissues collection. But who knows, maybe I might have gotten the sour taste left by the latter stages of this reissue programme out of my mouth by the year 2020.

On the bright side, not bothering with this SDE will leave me with more money to buy the Village Green Preservation Society SDE, which does promise to be worth the bother.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    noahjld and marmalade166 like this.
  25. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

For anyone still interested, there's this from RC's twitter:

[​IMG]

[heavy sarcasm=] I would not be at all surprised if the 'outtakes track listing' storyboarded above actually turned out to be a list of all the songs that are known to exist but which they couldn't be bothered to include because of reasons, accompanied by notes that tell you how great they sound. [heavy sarcasm]

Got Link If You Want It: Rob Caiger on Twitter

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    noahjld likes this.