The Small Faces: the coolest band after the Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Oct 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy Thread Starter

Watching their videos, great songs, and interesting personalities, these guys seemed like the next Beatles in so many ways...unfortunately it fell apart all to soon. Any impressions on the band?
    You have the dual songwriting team of Steve Marriot/Ronnie Lane, the dual singers in the same guys, very good instrumentalists, a great look and stage presence (especially Marriot).
    They seemed to have everthing going for them except what sounds like bad marketing according to what I've read.

2. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

More bad management than bad marketing. They were managed by Don Arden, and the theory goes that he played favorites, meaning that he considered the other groups he managed to be "competition" to The Move (who he put quite a bit of time and effort into promoting). Also, Arden's decision to keep Small Faces away from the USA is a completely unjustifiable sabotage of their career. Send them to Australia and skip over the States? I mean, who does that?

3. tages

tages Senior Member

Unbelievably cool band.

Soul, style and substance.

The dogs bollocks, the mutts nuts, the terriers testicles, etc. Just fantastic.

In my head, they're a multi-platinum stadium act that got all the praise and recognition they were denied in the real world.

RIP Plonk, Steve and Mac.

Carl80, Linto, Purple Jim and 11 others like this.
  4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Seriously??? Who's left????

5. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

In my house Small Faces are waaaay cooler than The Beatles. I thoroughly appreciate and respect The Beatles but it's not even close, imho

As for who's left...only Kenney Jones

6. tages

tages Senior Member

Kenney Jones (who I believe posts here under the name Baba Oh Really). Great drummer, fantastic feel. :edthumbs:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  7. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Jimmy Winston is still around. Turned 71 this year! :agree:

8. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

My favorite band after The Beatles is probably The Rolling Stones. Not very original but that's just the way it is. I love "Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake". :tiphat:

heliocentric likes this.
  9. I would venture to say they were cooler than the Beatles.:righton:

Carl80, Rufus rag, 905 and 9 others like this.
  10. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

With all due respect, when you think of cool bands Velvet Underground, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, etc. come to mind, not the Beatles.

11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Definitely a very cool band with loads of talent, a great sound and engaging personalities. They delivered some outstanding singles, including "Itchycoo Park" (with the heart-rending "I'm Only Dreaming" as a great b-side) and the mighty "Tin Soldier". Though I enjoy their Immediate albums in particular, I think that maybe they fell a little short of delivering an all out masterpiece. Ogden's is very good, but the Happiness Stan suite seems a little half baked to me. I really wish that these guys had managed to stick it out for at least one more album, delivering more of a back to basics affair as some of their later recordings suggest. For all his early promise as a songwriter, Marriott seemed to lose the plot over the years with Humble Pie, pissing away his gifts. Ronnie Lane, on the other hand, matured quite nicely as a songwriter both with the Faces and then on his own.

Crungy, Cousin It, Rhett and 4 others like this.
  12. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Definitely.

strummer101, bluesky and JohnnyQuest like this.
  13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Great band but their mod/popsike sound was already going out of fashion. The Move and The Who also abandoned it around the same time.

The '70s wanted earnestness rather than good-spirited humor.

One bit of history would change if I could -- I wish they'd've had a greater presence in America: a few tours, guest shots on Sullivan, the Smothers Brothers, and Bandstand that we could watch now on YouTube. Maybe then people here would know a SF track other than "Itchykoo Park".

Rhett and Zeki like this.
  14. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Before the Anthology tv series and CD sets were released in the mid 90s, that would have been my impression and this is what I was thinking as soon as I saw the thread title. Or maybe it's because I had just got into the Small Faces a few years before and was playing their music over and over. :D I was actually thinking of playing Ogden's this evening but am actually needledropping a few Beatles LPs as I type. Anyway...

There was the tv documentary where rock journo Charles Shaar Murray said that they were 'authentic' all the way through - from being mods to soul boys on acid. I've tried to find what it was (it was on UK tv Channel Four in the mid 90s); I recorded and watched it many times. I could see and totally agree with what he was saying - my quote will be pretty close to what he did say.

I don't know about coolest - all relative I suppose, but they were utterly :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool: and remain so, in my book!

Mal, zphage and heliocentric like this.
  15. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

:laugh:

905 likes this.
  16. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Mal likes this.
  17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

[​IMG]

18. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

One of those bands that should have been huge, not middling. Great band.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  19. heliocentric

I'm not sure if it's truly earnest but The Autumn Stone shows where they could have headed.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Purple Jim, Mal, sixelsix and 4 others like this.
  20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

21. heliocentric

Gotta love Mac.

groundharp likes this.
  22. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Great band. Sad story.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  23. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

#1 in England?
    That's a big fat advertising lie, it went to #3. :laugh:

Counsel15 likes this.
  24. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

So where is the Deluxe version of Autumn Stone, Kenney?

25. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

The Beatles were cool?

sami, TheRollingZeppelin97 and moops like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.