The Smiths - CD comparison thread (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Thank you! I'll update the summary:

2. erasmus

erasmus Forum Resident

Not to mention the very peculiar 'horns mix' of Frankly Mr Shankly.

3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

No, I don't believe so. I checked and actually the fan-remaster bootleg I have contains five tracks:
    1. Reel around the Fountain
    2. Pretty Girls Make Graves
    3. How Soon Is Now
    4. London
    5. Half a Person

4. erasmus

erasmus Forum Resident

That's my understanding too. There is also Miserable Lie that is only on the Peel Session EP.

The Kid Jensen version of Wonderful Woman also remains unreleased.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. ottosander

ottosander Forum Resident

The planned remasters would have contained lots of material that have not leaked yet alongside stuff that was already leaked on the bootleg mentioned. But as usual the release was blocked. And there is probably lots more still left in the vaults we can only dream about..........

6. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Oh, right, I forgot about that, probably since I don't have the big Complete box. I'm glad that one has at least been made available.

tmtomh and Gems-A-Bems like this.
  7. Pavol Stromcek

Speaking of the Tate sessions, the debut, and fantasy versions of Smiths albums... While I do think the remaster of the debut is a welcome and significant improvement over the original, I nevertheless cobbled together a version of that album using only my favorite recording of each track.

1. Reel Around The Fountain - Tate
    2. You've Got Everything Now - HoH
    3. Miserable Lie - Tate
    4. Pretty Girls Make Graves - Kid Jensen
    5. Hand That Rocks The Cradle - Smiths remaster
    6. This Charming Man - HoH (I'm from the US, so I'm used to this being on the debut, but I think this BBC version is better)
    7. Still Ill - HoH
    8. Hand in Glove - LTB
    9. What Difference ...? Tate
    10. I Don't Owe You Anything - Smiths remaster (love the organ on this version)
    11. Suffer Little Children - Smiths remaster (can't beat the guitar layering on this version)

And I tacked on to the end: Wonderful Woman, Tate version. (I have yet to track down a listenable version of the Kid Jensen one, sadly).

Has anyone else done something like this? Its seems nearly everyone prefers the BBC sessions or Tate versions of these tracks to the actual debut.

Jim B. likes this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

Can I ask what Kid Jensen is? Commercially released?

9. Pavol Stromcek

They're BBC Sessions - bands playing live in BBC studios. Like Peel sessions, but with a guy called David "Kid" Jensen instead of John Peel. Maybe a Brit could shed more light on Kid Jensen, specifically. The Smiths did two Kid Jensen sessions in 1983. Some tracks from those sessions wound up on Hatful of Hollow. Others, as far as I'm aware, have never been commercially released. An officially released complete Smiths BBC sessions comp is long overdue. There are bootlegs, but nothing official.

10. Pavol Stromcek

Has Marr gone into any detail about these "legal barriers" that are allegedly preventing them from releasing this stuff? I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want at least some of this stuff out there, and I do think there is demand for it, as that bootleg from several years ago got quite a lot of attention. I wonder if Rough Trade has the rights to these demos and alternate recordings and is just sitting on them? I can't think of what else it could be.

tmtomh and George P like this.
  11. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

In the interviews I've read, Marr hasn't gone into it - and in fact has specifically said that he can't talk about it. (I don't know what that means or why, but that's what he said.)

12. Pavol Stromcek

Hearing that almost makes me wonder if perhaps Morrissey is the one who's blocking their release.

ggggreenisaac, George P and mikeyt like this.
  13. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That's exactly what I think.

George P and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  14. erasmus

erasmus Forum Resident

That is correct - more about DJ Kid Jensen here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Jensen. There does not appear to be a list of all the sessions recorded for his show anywhere on the Internet but had many great ones including Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, The Skids, Visage etc.

The Missing Kid Jensen Tracks are as follows

4 July 1983 Session:
    Wonderful Woman

September 1983 Session:
    I Don't Owe You Anything
    Pretty Girls Make Graves
    Reel Around The Fountain

Another influential BBC 1 DJ was Janice Long who produced many sessions for long forgotten 80's indie bands like The Chesterfields, Flowerpot Men etc although she did a session with a very early Primal Scream and a more recent session with Morrissey.

There is also a BBC radio session of the Sandie Shaw versions of I Don't Owe You Anything and Jeane. These can be found of this rare disc http://www.discogs.com/Sandie-Shaw-Cool-About-You-The-BBC-Sessions-19841988/release/1300481

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  15. ottosander

ottosander Forum Resident

Who else?

16. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Possibly someone involved in the court case.

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The Jensen sessions were generally bands that were already established/popular. They were just like the Peel sessions, not live, but recorded in a studio in a day. So you had to get on with it and it was normally a more basic approach.

Kid Jensen was a funny character. He was Canadian I think, and was most famous for presenting Top of The Pops in the late 70's (I think he was the host when the first punk/new wave band was on, The Jam).

He was definitely not seen as 'cool' like people, but he did like good music. It was generally Peel-lite - the more popular bands that Peel played and more mainstream new wave/indie stuff. He didn't generate that loyalty that Peel had, but it was a decent show. He was on before Peel weekday nights, so you had a good few hours of great music.

A Peel session was seen as a career highlight for a new band, where as a Jensen session didn't quite have the prestige a Peel session did, and for some reason they never seemed as good, perhaps because they were more established bands the actual record releases were better, where as for several reasons many of the Peel sessions are the definitive recordings of a lot of songs from those bands.

elvissinatra and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I am under the impression Morrissey has vetoed any new material being released as due to the court ruling his share would go to Rourke/Joyce, or a part of it anyway, so all they can do is repackage what has already been released.

Although there doesn't seem much in the vaults, there is scope for some great releases if he ever changed his mind.

Firstly a BBC set, then an expanded debut with the Tate sessions.

I would like a DVD set of all the TV appearances, as there are stacks of them (they seemed to be on TV in the UK all the time on one show or another).

And some live shows would be great - there are a lot of recordings out there, many of which are better than Rank.

19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

This got me thinking: How much of the physical Complete Deluxe Box is represented on the iTunes release and other digital-only versions like Qobuz? It turns out most, but not all - plus I believe one bonus.

The iTunes lossy AAC version has 105 tracks, and Qobuz's lossless redbook/16/44.1 version has 106. I believe European iTunes Stores also have the 106-track version. (No, I don't know what the 106th US track is, but I think it might be a track from Hatful that's also represented on one of the singles).

The tracks first run through the four studio albums (tracks 1-40), and then Rank (41-54), and then Hatful (55-69). Then it gets interesting: the final 37 tracks are a mix of (A) tracks on the 7"/45 singles from the Deluxe version of the Complete box, and (B) tracks from The World Won't Listen and Louder than Bombs that don't already appear on Hatful or The Queen Is Dead. There is some overlap between these two groups - for example, Money Changes Everything fits into both categories.

Of these final 37 tracks, I think 33 appear among the 50 tracks spread over the 25 seven-inch vinyl singles in the Deluxe version of the Complete Box. Among these tracks are the Troy Tate version of Reel Around the Fountain; the studio version of The Draize Train; I Keep Mine Hidden; Work Is a Four Letter Word; Jeanne; and the Troy Tate version of Pretty Girls Make Graves - some good stuff!

Based on the listing of the full 50 single tracks at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_(The_Smiths_album), the following are missing from the iTunes/Qobuz version:
    • One of the two listings of Jeanne
    • Suffer Little Children
    • Well I Wonder *
    • What She Said
    • The Headmaster Ritual
    • The Boy with the Thorn in His Side (single version) *
    • Bigmouth Strikes Again
    • Vicar in a Tutu
    • Cemetry Gates
    • Both listings of Girlfriend in a Coma *
    • I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish
    • There Is a Light that Never Goes Out
    • Some Girls Are Bigger than Others
    • Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before
    • One of the two listings of William, It Was Really Nothing
    However, as far as I know, all but three of these tracks already are represented on one of the albums. Only three are on the singles but not on an album: Well I Wonder, the single version of The Boy with the Thorn (was on TWWL but the remaster of TWWL has used the album version), and I believe one of the two versions of Girlfriend in a Coma (which is supposed to be different than the album version, yes?)

Finally, there are the other 4 songs in this final group of 37. These are songs that do not appear on the 7" singles and also do not appear on the four studio albums or Hatful. Of these 4 songs, three are unnecessary/redundant if you already own the remastered CD set (because the CD set of course includes all of TWWL and LTB). These three tracks are: the UK mix of You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby (appears on both TWWL and LTB) and both versions of Stretch Out and Wait (one each appears on TWWL and LTB).

That leaves one remaining track that's not on a 7" single, and that does not appear on any of the remastered CDs: the US mix of You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby, which used to be on LTB but has been replaced by the UK mix on the remaster of LTB (TWWL has, and always has had, the UK mix as well).

So there you have it: If you are interested in the 2011 Marr remastering or you wish the remastered singles were available in digital form and not just vinyl, you can get a digital version of virtually everything from iTunes or Qobuz.

If you go and buy all of the 34 tracks I've mentioned above (the 33 from the singles, plus the US mix of YJHEIYB), your best best by far is Qobuz, because you can get the entire Complete set - all 106 tracks - in lossless quality for only 33.79 Euro (about $38 US). Buying them individually on iTunes or Qobuz would cost between $44 (lossy from iTunes) and $60/€52 (lossless Qobuz).

However, just as many of the missing digital tracks compared to the singles already are represented on the main albums, so too are some of the included digital tracks from the singles also represented on the main albums. So if you already own the main albums, you might only have to buy something like 20 tracks instead of the full 34. Then a la carte purchases might make more sense.

And of course if you don't like the remasters' sound or you are happy with earlier versions, then you might only want to buy a handful of these tracks - the ones that are available only on vinyl singles, or only on relatively expensive out of print CD singles. In that case you're probably looking at 10 or fewer tracks, in which case buying them individually is by far the cheapest method.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  20. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Wow! Amazing post. Thank you

tmtomh likes this.
  21. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Yes, this is awesome. I did finally get my edited TWWL done, see above. :) I have the makings of another 2 CDs (or so) of non album tracks, but I always get stuck. This post might either help to get me unstuck a little, or get me further stuck! There are some songs there that I didn't already have good sources for, so that helps. [I'm looking at the iTunes Deluxe Complete set.]

Gems-A-Bems and tmtomh like this.
  22. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

You'd have to believe that if Johnny Marr was discussing a set of odds-and-sods Smiths tracks, there's more than what's on the 7" singles in the Super Deluxe Complete box. But, if he has given up, and Moz is still nursing a grudge against the rest of the band... Well, I'm not holding my breath.

Instead, I'm sticking with my imported Complete on Rhino CDs.

tmtomh likes this.
  23. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Glad to help - and thanks for your TWWL listing!

To make my original post simpler for those of us who already own versions of Hatful and LTB that we're happy with, here is the full list of tracks on the iTunes "Complete" collection that do not appear on a full-length Smiths CD album:
    1. Handsome Devil (live at Manchester Hacienda)
    2. Reel Around the Fountain (Troy Tate version)
    3. Jeanne
    4. Barbarism Begins at Home (7" version)
    5. Meat Is Murder (live at Oxford Apollo)
    6. Work Is a Four-Letter Word
    7. Pretty Girls Make Graves (Troy Tate version)
    8. Rusholme Ruffians (Peel session)
    9. I Keep Mine Hidden
    10. The Draize Train
    11. That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore (single version) *
    12. You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby (US mix) *
    13. What Difference Does It Make (single edit) **
    14. How Soon Is Now (single edit) **
    15. Last Night I Dreamt that Somebody Loved Me (single edit) **

* = You don't need these tracks if you own any pre-2011 version of TWWL and LTB
    ** = As far as I know/can tell, these are just shortened versions, so you don't need them either if you're looking for actual different takes or mixes

One final note: Even if you are a dedicated fan of the original Rough Trade CDs and hate Marr's 2011 mastering job, you owe it to yourself to get the iTunes or Qobuz download of The Draize Train. The better frequency balance, particularly the bottom end, makes it like a whole different song. I daresay you won't regret it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Jim B. likes this.
  24. Natcat

Natcat Forum Resident

I got a totally mint copy of Sheila from UK ebay for £10 including delivery a few months back (check my post a few pages back).

Would you be so kind as to report back on the sound of your RT WDDIM CD single. Oh and that was a nice price btw, congrats.

tmtomh likes this.
  25. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Comparing your version vs mine. :)

4 Money Changes Everything 4:41
    23 Handsome Devil [Live at Manchester Hacienda 4/2/83] 2:56
    24 Reel Around the Fountain (Troy Tate Reel) 6:10
    25 Jeane 3:06
    30 Meat Is Murder [Live at Oxford Apollo 18/3/85] 5:39
    31 The Draize Train 5:09
    32 Work Is a Four-Letter Word 2:46
    33 Pretty Girls Make Graves (Troy Tate Version) 3:35
    35 Rusholme Ruffians (John Peel Session 9/8/84) 4:05
    36 I Keep Mine Hidden 2:00

Very close! (I don't care about single edits ... they are shorter!) I'm trying to remember why I didn't include Money on my edited TWWL ... (I think because I started with trying to copy LTB, then backtracked to just TWWL plus the extra tracks. Somehow I lost Money doing that. I think.)

Money isn't on the original RT CD of TWWL!

tmtomh likes this.