The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead Super Deluxe Edition 3CD+DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnBR, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't know! I said that!

It's just probably the best album of the last 35 years so deserves something special (imo). Not marbles or scarfs or Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes, no thing like that, just something special.

2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I wonder why the Complete box set is out of print?
    It seemed to be very well received and obviously sold well.

3. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Yep. Off the top of my head, I can think of Jeane (both versions), and The Draize Train that aren't on any compilations. They are on different OOP cd singles.

ScienceFriction likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

Unfortunately, that just seems to be the way it goes for box sets in the music industry now. Stuff goes OOP quick and that set came out six years ago. Happens even faster with classical releases.

tmtomh and bob60 like this.
  5. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

6. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

"so, mr. morrissey, you want us to replace the iconic color scheme with a dull monochrome and slap this photoshop halftone filter on it?"

"yes"

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    jalexander, andrewskyDE and vette442 like this.
  7. ScienceFriction

ScienceFriction Forum Resident

It's getting harder and harder to find a reason to like Morrissey these days..

8. George P

George P Notable Member

What did he do now?

9. ScienceFriction

Just a general critique. Besides always messing with album cover art and sequences. I still dig him as an artist (to a point), but as a person? I'm not putting him on pedestal as a hero anytime soon. It's not like he's done anything terrible or anything.

10. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I don't know, I like that they tweak the album covers on these reissues. Yeah the original is iconic and all, but we all already own it. Now I do find that the new covers never real live up to the standards of the original Smiths covers, something about them just seem a bit cheap and off.

11. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would love that also! (Another uncollected b-side is the single version of Accept Yourself). Unfortunately, the fact that some b-sides have been tacked onto this deluxe edition makes me think that a dedicated b-sides collection is not forthcoming.

12. JohnBR

Speaking only for myself, whenever I buy a reissue, I intend to replace whatever edition is currently in my collection. I don't intend to own multiple editions of any albums. So, for me, it's always disappointing when a reissue has a different cover.

lbangs and inaptitude like this.
  13. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

I wonder if there will be a vinyl release with the new sleeve,
    I guess if this is about making as much money then we see it released

14. ScienceFriction

For a band who made a point of singles/b-side collections, you'd think they'd have released a definitive b-side collection by now. That would be a fantastic piece. Even better, Morrissey can mess with the cover art & sequence and it wouldn't matter, because it'd be a new set.

Regarding this set, it wouldn't be so bad, but the filter treatment is cheap looking IMO. The original had the opposite feeling.

15. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

You're the one who said it deserved "something special."

What do you want them to do? Get back together and record a hip-hop version of the album?:pineapple:

16. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Maybe he just doesn't care....

17. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

But usually the reissue is worse that the original. ;)

JohnBR likes this.
  18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Alcohol can do that.. .

19. Moth

Moth fluttering by

What, no tacky badge?

Big-Faced-Child and tmtomh like this.
  20. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

:tiphat:

[​IMG]

21. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Didn't they just re-master it in 11? They really want to soak their fans of every possible dollar/pound...

22. JohnBR

Amazon UK now has this listed as 4 discs, but no details on the added disc. Will it be a CD or a DVD I wonder, or possibly even vinyl? Unfortunately this also means the thread title is no longer accurate!

23. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Sometimes Amazon are not always right with the number of Disc in upcoming releases

24. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

It seems strange that they're hyping/promoting this release with vinyl singles that contain tracks that won't even be included on the deluxe edition.

25. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

tmtomh and johnnybrum like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.