The Smokey IS The Bandit Script finally leaked!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by paulisdead, May 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous Thread Starter

On the imdb forums (R.I.P) a PDF of the shooting script for the third Smokey and the Bandit film was posted earlier this year and it looks legit too.

This may be our only look at one of the world's most infamous lost films next to The Day The Clown Cried. For those unfamiliar with the premise, the original cast of Burt Reynolds, Sally Feild and Jerry Feild where not going to return for this sequel. So the, admittly strange, idea was that Jackie Gleason's Buford T Justice character would impersonate Reyond's Bandit to win the Enos' wager. However during initial test screenings, audiences were confused and Jerry Reed agreed to rejoin the cast to play the Bandit.

Although we have lost the imdb forums, the script can be found on this forum here via a Megaload link (4th post down) (providing this doesn't violate the terms of this forum).

Now you can see for yourself, what could have been one of the weirdest mainstream Hollywood films of the 1980's.

Smokey IS The Bandit Script Surfaced. | Forums - The Lost Media Wiki

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    RayS likes this.
  2. paulisdead

And for those who haven't seen it yet, the original teaser trailer that first appeared on YouTube in 2010. It was the first evidence that the film was more than urban legend.

In the trailer the film is titled: Smokey Is The Bandit Part 3. In the script it's simply Smokey Is The Bandit.

MikeInFla likes this.
  3. paulisdead

4. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Somebody's ass is going to be barbecued in molasses for leaking this.

5. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Well Hollywood could always attempt a Reboot with Jason Lee

[​IMG]

paulisdead likes this.
  6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

This is a major find for a Smokaholic like me. A shame I missed this thread first time around.

I always thought having Jackie be the Bandit was incredibly dumb, but making the character mute (except for the "Bandit giggle") is even dumber than I would have imagined.

The Gleason-as-Bandit footage would be THE selling point of a super-deluxe re-re-re-release of the trilogy.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Is there any place where this script can be viewed? I was unable to find it online. This is right up there with the original "Magnificent Ambersons" as far as lost films go.

RayS likes this.
  8. paulisdead

I recently read the script again and added details on The Lost Media Wiki:

Smokey and the Bandit Part 3 (original Jackie Gleason footage; 1983) - The Lost Media Wiki

Spoilers (for a film we'll never see :D)

According to the script is pretty much the same as the released film. The key difference being that Gleason plays the Bandit role. However, unlike the released version of the film where Jerry Reed's character Cledus is pretending to be the "Bandit", Gleason in the script IS the bandit. As in Gleason is playing two roles as two different people in the film: Sheriff Buford T. Justice and Bo "the Bandit" Darville!!!

This angle is all played straight too, no one questions that the Bandit now looks like Jackie Gleason. Gleason plays the role of the Bandit mute, except when he's imitating Renyolds' laugh and at the end of the movie when he paraphrases the famous line from Gone With The Wind: "Frankly, Dusty, I don't give a damn."

Other differences include:
    • Gleason first appears as "the Bandit" about 32 pages into the script. The Enis' are enter a bedroom where "the Bandit" is in the shower with "a blonde bombshell". After Enis confirming their deal plan with him is "a go", the camera pans up to reveal that the "Bandit" is played by Gleason.

• Dusty Trials is still in the film but plays a radio D.J. instead of a working at a car dealership.
    [​IMG]

RayS likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I never knew the Smokey and Bandit movies even had scripts. You learn something every day!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Graham, Walt, Jacob29 and 2 others like this.
  10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

You Moose Twit!

11. RayS

I happen to have my young son in the thread and I don't appreciate that kind of language. :)

Chip TRG and paulisdead like this.
  12. paulisdead

Another thing I noticed - the released film’s poster has no image of Jerry Reed. Perhaps this was going to be the original poster for “IS the Bandit”?

Do we need to start a campaign to have the “Magnificent Ambersons” of bad movies released in its original form? :)

[​IMG]

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

Yes.... we need to start a letter writing campaign to the studio. This is the holy grail.

paulisdead likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

15. RayS

Imagine popping it into the player, sitting back with a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, and confusing your friends and family for 90 minutes. I'd decorate up my whole house for the event (at a cost of $40).

16. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I only like the first one....... I saw part 3 and thought it wasnt that good...... (I havent seen part 2 yet)

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There are some weird, weird, weird films that floated around where they got X number of weeks through, then somebody looked at a rough cut, freaked out, and everybody got fired. A friend of mine wants to do a book on "Movies Still On the Shelf," but has yet to find a publisher who will do it. Getting the studios to cooperate is tough, too.

I worked on a few really strange films that had long, convoluted protracted post-production histories where they kept editing and re-editing, reshooting, editing and re-editing, reshooting, editing and re-editing... and sometimes reshooting some more. I lost count of the number of times I saw different versions of Elaine May's Mikey & Nicky, and they also redid The Stuntman countless times. I saw 5 or 6 different versions of Boris & Natasha, and they were all stunningly awful (as was the final version). With some movies, like the relatively-recent Universal remake of The Wolfman, they fired the director, fired the editor, hired a new guy to reshoot some scenes, hired no less than Oscar-winner Walter Murch to re-edit the film from scratch... and it still sucked. There's a lotta weird stories out there like that.

18. paulisdead

:laughup::laughup::laughup::laughup::laughup::laughup:

We need to make this happen!!!

19. RayS

Why would we do that when they said it couldn't be done?

That's the reason son!

paulisdead and Quadboy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.