The Sopranos

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AndyNicks, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident Thread Starter

This June the show will have been over for 7 years and this continues to be the greatest show I have ever watched, and probably will ever have seen. I own each individual season on DVD when they first came out, in addition to the box set. I watch it on HBO at night if I'm home. I have seen each episode probably a half dozen times and STILL pick up on things I missed when I first viewed it. I agree going out on top was a smart move by David Chase, but man they could've had 5 more seasons easily. Even Tony Sirico (Paulie Walnuts) admitted recently after Gandolfini's passing it had continued a little longer. Anyone who hasn't revisited the show should watch again soon. The HBO Gandolfini tribute a few months ago was very touching.

Check out this blogger's take on the end of the show: http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/ Incredibly in-depth and long, but if you have a few hours to kill, I strongly suggest reading it. Some of his theories are a bit extreme, but overall I agree with him.

2. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Link not working.

3. AndyNicks

4. AndyNicks

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Actually just finished watching the entire series for the first time a few weeks back. Final episode was a sad ending, ambiguous huh.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

What can I say? It's the best!

mick_sh likes this.
  7. lyniv

lyniv Forum Resident

yep, maybe the best TV show of all time.

Humbuster, Rufus McDufus and mick_sh like this.
  8. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I think the final episode ended the show perfectly consistent with the character's story.

9. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

That site is incredible! I found it a few years ago, and I agree with the owner; his take is definitive. Every little detail leading you to the final conclusion is examined, and re-examined.

He nails it; there is no other possible explanation for how it ends.

Personally, I think The Soprano's is the best drama, ever. So much work put into what we saw, so much foreshadowing, so many mind games.....I really thought Paulie and Chris would have troubles because of the Russian incident, but nothing. Fwiw, that's my favourite "funny" episode...my wife and I were howling at their antics.

I was watching the show while working evenings, and the season with the big Ralph Cifaretto climax.....I'm trying to not post a spoiler....the big climax episode, I missed that. #$%&@!!!
    It was the only episode not shown at a later time, so I had to wait until later in the year to catch it, using my wife to confirm what happened.
    Man did that piss me off, a pivotal episode and I wasn't able to see it in order with the rest...the only time that happened.

artfromtex likes this.
  10. alexpop

Another season. A shoot out .all main characters killed off. :)

11. alexpop

The Russian episode was the best TV drama ever.

live evil likes this.
  12. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

It was funny, and a great bit of misdirection, leaving us wondering what would come of it.

13. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

It's pretty good but it went on too long. The class of 1985 season was mostly a dud. The last episode was a mediocrity that the emperors-new-clothes-media-flunkies decided was great. Cigar store Indians are better actors than Steve van Zandt.
    But it had good moments. I particularly enjoyed the HUD scam episode.

tremspeed likes this.
  14. jhayman

jhayman Forum Resident

My wife loved the show, I thought it was ok, many better shows to watch..IMO
    The final episode was one of the worst I have ever seen, and the Russian they shot but could not find wtf was that.
    I felt to many episodes were cut off before giving you conclusions to why or what happened I know sometimes you have to read into it, you fill in the blanks...

15. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Any word on the street when a full bluray release?

Graham and Dee Zee like this.
  16. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Thanks much for the link. I did take the time to read it and I have to agree with him (and you) as well. I am not a serious student of film, but what he extropolated about the shots that were used and why as well as other details that he pointed out makes for an excellent arguement.

In fact, I was happy to see that I had already come to the same conclusion (without realizing why) after first watching and then rewatching the final episode.

musicalbeds likes this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No, and nothing in the alleys either.

smokeverbs likes this.
  18. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Me too, I'd be interested in a blu ray box set.

musicalbeds likes this.
  19. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

musicalbeds and AndyNicks like this.
  20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

There is no bigger fan of this show than me. I watch the same episodes over and over. However, I was disappointed with the second half of the last season. Especially Malfi suddenly deciding that Tony really was a sociopath and dumping him. My feeling was that they had run out of compelling ideas, and it was time to wrap it up.

But as a dramatic series, this was the best of all time.

And for the poster who knocked Little Stevey's acting. I thought he played that role perfectly. Cigar store Indian, Gracie?

AndyNicks likes this.
  21. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Only half a dozen? Come over to the dark side, grasshopper, where a few of us have gone way beyond that. :wave:

I have the complete box, as an upgrade from the original season sets, and it's in constant rotation here. Season six ends, restart season one. It's almost pathological at this point. :help: :laugh:

So many great moments. Last night was "Whitecaps". Edie Falco knocks it out of the park on that one.

smokeverbs likes this.
  22. AndyNicks

I was being conservative because I didn't want to admit just how many times I've seen them all! Watched them all live on Sunday nights at 9:00 on HBO. I remember almost having a heart attack at the end of "Employee Of The Month" because Melfi refused to say what happened.

I'm currently up to Seas 6A, "The Ride"

Nucci: "Paulie you let St. Elzear go without his hat!"
    Paulie: "F*** the hat!" Lol:laugh:

23. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Priest: Given the tenor of this conversation, I sense there's a possible criminal element in this neighborhood that could endanger this precious piece of local history.

Paulie: But for 50 grand, you wouldn't have that sense. :cool:

GMfan87', musicalbeds and AndyNicks like this.
  24. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Pretty extensive discussion. Quite the tribute to the writing, acting and production of this show. I cannot think of to many TV shows over the years that would warrant this kind of analysis. Maybe someday there will be college courses on The Sopranos.

musicalbeds likes this.
  25. John54

John54 Senior Member

:biglaugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.