The Sopranos

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AndyNicks, Mar 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Mine too.

2. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

3. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

If ever there was a character and an actor that were more interwoven together, I can't think of it. In this case James/Tony are sadly not coming back.

4. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

So Chase now saying "Whether Tony Soprano is alive or dead is not the point." still leads me to believe that Tony was not whacked by the Member's Only guy at that moment, but that everything after that moment is unknown to us as viewers.

Could he have been whacked 1 second later? Maybe, who knows. But the conspiracy theories on bell rings/POV shots/onion ring bites , in my mind, as busted by the "Whether Tony Soprano is alive or dead is not the point."

5. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

It's very, VERY, obvious that Tony is implied to have been killed in the finale. The Members Only Guy is focused on a lot, and even tracked into the bathroom (the only tracking shot in the scene). Chase was clever to leave it ambiguous enough so that in case he wanted to make a Sopranos movie someday, he could, but with Gandolfini shuffling off the mortal coil, that will never happen. Tony is doubly dead.

6. Bren

Bren Forum Resident

The representative assigned to PR wipe-up did not mention the effort Chase & editing crew put forth in making the Sopranos' final minutes one of the most subtle yet retroactively obvious Answers to dramatic "so what happened" Questions that have ever been pondered.

7. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

This stuff drives me mad, and I think it's the opposite of what Chase has just said.

unsubscribing now.

8. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Of course Tony is dead, but you know what? If Chase didn't want to continually be asked if Tony lived or died, maybe he should have thought about that before pulling the ending stunt he did. What did he expect? That people would just be like, "Oh, cool. That's the end. Well that was fun. Moving on...." No, it doesn't work like that. You can't just screw over the fans like that and expect them NOT to wonder.

10. nbakid2000

It IS the point when you make the ending like what he wrote it, shot it, and edited it as. It is COMPLETELY the point.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Disagree totally. Chase is an intelligent man, and believes that after 7 years, people would move on.
    I never "wondered," and those that viewed it with me, have never discussed it past that 30 minutes that elapsed, after the broadcast, back in 2007. It's-a-TV-show. Not a priority of life.

misko likes this.
  12. Myke

We even paraphrase a great line from one of the episodes, where Tony says words to the effect of how he was watching a movie, and it hit him, how he didn't give a damn about it. " What effect does this crap have on my life ? None. " And he turned it off !!! :laugh:

misko likes this.
  13. nbakid2000

Then he's naive/ignorant to how the world works.

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Gandolfini is dead, so is Tony. End of story.

Myke likes this.
  15. Myke

I'll take him over the Facebook masses any day.

16. nbakid2000

That's strange coming from a guy who makes his living off people who "give a damn". If people shouldn't/didn't care, David would be having a job somewhere in an unrelated company/field of work.

17. Myke

Entertainment is just that, and only that : entertainment. Not something a normal, well-adjusted adult should still be obsessing over, seven years later.

Scotian likes this.
  18. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Just yesterday started rewatching the series. Free if you have Amazon Prime. Death is a common theme in the very first few episodes as Jackie dies of cancer.

19. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Tony never really lived, you see, because he was a television character :rolleyes:.

Myke likes this.
  20. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I've never seen a single moment of The Sopranos but I plan on it over the winter, while waiting for the final 7 episodes of Mad Men. And it is very difficult to avoid spoilers at this point, years after the series has ended but I am trying and so, haven't read much about the show itself other than to learn how highly regarded it is.

Myke likes this.
  21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Enjoy the ride. It's a great one.

BlueTrane likes this.
  22. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

So I'm a little late here. I just watched the entire series in about 2 months. I liked it a lot but how anyone can say it's a better show than the wire or breaking bad is beyond me.

However, it does break my heart that James Gandolfini is dead. Man...What a loss.

Humbuster and RoyalScam like this.
  23. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Not better but another example of the current golden age of TV we've been in for the last decade or two.

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I suppose they can say it the same way that you can say otherwise :)

It's not about what is or isn't a better show, but rather this being another example of a great show like the ones you listed (even if I didn't care enough to watch either).

25. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

If it wasn't for The Soprano's, who know if there even would've been a Wire, BB or Deadwood. HBO really took programming into new waters with it.

Continues for me to be a very watchable and enjoyable show. When I can't find anything to watch I'll play a random episode and usually find at least a few things that I missed during previous views. Never boring.

musicalbeds likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.