The Sound of Jazz - Analogue Productions 200g LP reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jellis77, Mar 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Wow - this one just arrived and I played it last night. This is one of those statement recordings that everyone will want a copy of. Brilliant music featuring Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Billie Holiday, Lester Young, Jim Hall etc and the sonics - just amazing. This is a stereo reissue, Pure Pleasure in the UK put out the mono version a year or so back but there is no comparison - this is the version to have. Just wonderful soulful recordings, quiet vinyl, beautiful gatefold cover stock and just a joy to hold, own and listen to. My reissue of the year so far....

HJY1 likes this.
  2. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

AP does know how to do it right, don't they?

3. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I ordered this from my local, last week. Waiting for a bunch of good records from AP to arrive, including several Duke and Buddy Holly LPs.

Jellis77 likes this.
  4. Mr. Strong

Mr. Strong Active Member

I just received mine today and am listening to it now. WOW! I feel like I am indeed in the middle of the recording studio surrounded by the musicians as they play. The pressing is indeed top quality and there's almost no vinyl noise.

And the music is awesome! This has instantly become one of my favourite LPs.

HJY1, Jellis77 and tubesandvinyl like this.
  5. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

So few replys? I guess this is kind of an obscure record?

Received this yesterday, wow, great music and even better sound. The only downside is that it has a huge seam split - ordered this from amazon.com

Jellis77 likes this.
  6. Mr. Strong

Mr. Strong Active Member

Where is the seam split?

7. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Actually, on top and bottom.

8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I totally agree. I didn't know what to expect when I dropped the needle, but holy cow what a nice sounding record. The performance/music/recording/mastering are all first rate. I thought, now this is what a record is supposed to sound like. AAA!

Jellis77 and Tommyboy like this.
  9. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Wow - just heard about this reissue. And guess I'm too late? only seeing copies for around $50

Up until now the only way to hear the actual LIVE performance was on the original mono issue. All other copies were recordings of the soundcheck. Does anyone know what they used here?

10. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Following up on this

To recap - the original mono issue is the only to feature the actual broadcast. Reissues all used the (inferior IMO) soundcheck without specifying.

Anyone know if this reissue is the broadcast or soundcheck? Essentially, does it match this (the broadcast):

Jerry James likes this.
  11. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

After doing some reading, it seems this reissue is STILL the pre recorded "soundcheck" from a few days earlier and not the actual broadcast. Pure Pleasure reissued the MONO version not long ago - if I had to bet I would say that is the actual broadcast. AP uses the stereo tape that was lost and unavailable at the time of the Pure Pleasure issue.

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It sounds like this is a compilation, yes?

13. kyndcookie

kyndcookie Well-Known Member

This isn't a compilation. It's a sort of TV "concert" but in a studio setting, so less about showmanship and more about the music.

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks! Makes sense.

15. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Funny you should put this up - I got a box of stuff a few weeks ago that has been at my parents' place for years and guess what was in it - THE SOUND OF JAZZ LP, Aussie pressing on the AVAN-GUARD label. Completely forgot I had it. You've reminded me to play it again after all these years - I bought it after seeing the TV show. Shame it's not the same music as the TV show, but it's very good music all the same.

16. jazzman1111

jazzman1111 Active Member

This is a phenomenal recording, but does anyone know if it’s normal for there to be a lead-in to a cut where it essentially sounds like the song plays at very low volume (most detectable on headphones), before actually coming in at full volune a second later?

17. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I have a nice original 6-eye mono that I picked up for a buck. So, is it different from the stereo AP 200g RI as in Mono 6-eye=live TV show vs. AP Stereo=soundcheck?

I'm glad to hear that the AP is so fine....I'm bummed that the AP is so fine....if you know what I mean. I'm trying not to double up on titles like this but if the performances are different and high quality...well then...where's the charge card?

18. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I just added this to my cart.

19. tubesandvinyl

Absolutely killer recording!! All pro players.

As expected, Kevin turns in another brilliant cut!

20. saskimo

saskimo Forum Resident

I think they call that groove echo.

21. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Michael Fremer from Analogplanet does video of his 100 Recommended All-Analog LP Reissues worth owning which includes review of this record. The just of it is the recording was done the next day following the broadcast and does not include some artists that performed because of being under contract to different labels. A couple of artist I noticed not included , Monk and Gerry Mulligan for instance. You can see video of original broadcast on Accoustic Sounds in description of the record. if you watch the Billie Holiday song you will see different order of solo's that includes Gerry Mulligan and great solo by Lester Young. This is definitely Music History. Also Highly recommend AP Ellington Masterpieces. Not a big Ellington fan but this is gorgeous recording.

22. tubesandvinyl

Amazing LP.

Anyone else think the 50's was the golden age for recording!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.