The sound of Nat King Cole's The Magic of Christmas & The Christmas Song ALBUMS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dale 88, Dec 14, 2012.

1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm Thread Starter

From the Magic of Christmas in 1960 to the Definitive Christmas Collection in 2007, there have been uncounted reissues, and some re-masterings for this Christmas album.

Let's listen to many of these for their sound. I hope you can post your experiences with this album.

Also, do you have a sentimental favorite issue that you like to play?

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Twist my arm, I'll play along. I've posted 45 second clips from a late-80s pressing and a 1960s reel to reel tape, here: http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/NatColeAdesteFideles.html (The LP is mine; the reel transfer is not.)

Somewhere, I have the original 1986 Capitol CD, but I think it must be in my wife's car right now. I'll try to dig it up.

If anybody would like to share similar clips, contact me, and I'll be happy to post them on the same page.

FWIW, I've owned 4 copies of this over the years, and my impression (based only on the editions I've heard) is that the original stereo mix is pretty poor. I'm guessing a re-mix could do wonders for this title (in the right hands, of course), and there was even evidence of this from none other than ......wait for it.....BOB NORBERG on COLE, CHRISTMAS AND KIDS.

3. dale 88

Here are issues I have heard on LP and CD. Let know if there are others that should be considered -- I am sure there are:) .

The LPs:

The Magic of Christmas. Stereo. SW 1444

Side 1 - N1" #3​

Side 2 - N1 0​

The Magic of Christmas. Mono. W 1444. 2 copies

#1 Side 1 - D3​

Side 2 - D3​

#2 Side 1 - N1" #4​

Side 2 - N2​

The Christmas Song. Stereo. SW 1967

Side 1 - x1 2​

Side 2 - x2 0 #2​

The Christmas Song. Mono. W1967

Side 1 - G4​

Side 2 - F3​

The Christmas Song. Stereo. SW 1967 (SW2-1967) Gold Record Award logo. Bright Orange label

Side 1 - A8 #2​

Side 2 - A7​

The Christmas Song. Stereo. SM-1967. Medium Blue label

Side 1 - Jay - J 27 #2​

Side 2 - JH [or] JHM - H 25 #1​

Nat King Cole's Christmas. Stereo. Music For Pleasure. MFP 50313 Great Britain

Nat King Cole Chante Noel. Stereo. Music For Pleasure. 2M 048-52030 France

Christmas with Nat King Cole. Stereo. Stylus SMR 868. 1988 Great Britain

4. dale 88

Thanks. I don't have any way to provide clips from my LPs but perhaps others do. I will try to report any differences I hear on my LPs.

5. dale 88

The CDs that I have on hand:

1986. The Christmas Song. CDP 7 46318 2

p)1992 c)1996. Christmas Favorites. 10 tracks. 07777-57729-2-0

1999. The Christmas Song. 72435-21251-2-8. 24 bit remastered

2005. The Christmas Song. 09463-31227-2-7. 24 bit remastered

2007. The Definitive Christmas Collection. 50995-11414-2-4

2009. The Christmas Song. 50996-85260-23

blaken123 likes this.
  6. dale 88

Billboard's original review in 1960.
    BillboardReviewMagicChristmas (3).png

Stone Turntable and kennyluc1 like this.
  7. dale 88

I am going to re-clean the LPs and listen again.

My internet provider has been going down last night and this morning, so we will see how soon I can post.

8. MLutthans

Actually, since this disc (COLE, CHRISTMAS, AND KIDS) was produced by Ron Furmanek, who is usually very hands-on in the mixing process (even when he is listed as "producer" and not "engineer"), this is pretty certainly a Ron Furmanek mix with Bob Norberg twiddling the knobs largely/entirely at Ron's direction. Seriously, if you haven't heard the quality on that mix -- an outtake from the THE MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS sessions -- prepare to be stunned. It truly illustrates that there is much, much more potential on those 3-track tapes than has ever surfaced.

Matt

Ere, McLover, Charlie Z. and 2 others like this.
  9. MLutthans

Listening to these again, it's amazing how similar they sound. One's an LP; one's a reel-to-reel; and they were manufactured over 20 years apart.

10. dale 88

I am going to pull my copy of Cole Christmas, and Kids and re-listen. Thanks.

11. dale 88

The first comparison of the LPs of The Magic of Christmas:

The Mono - D3

Clear sounding, Nat's vocals are solid. You can hear the chorus and orchestra elements distinctly.​

The Mono - Side 1 - N1" #4 ;Side 2 - N2

Not as clear as the D3 mono, a bit duller and murkier.​

The Stereo Magic of Christmas

One can hear more things clearly in the stereo, but the voice doesn't have the solidity of the Mono D3. Also the voice sometimes seems phasey and light compared to the chorus and orchestra.​

12. dale 88

Yes they are very similar, but the reel-to-reel has a more inviting sound in my opinion. There is more detail and more depth on the tape IMO.

13. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

My SW 1444:

Side 1--SW1-1444-N1
    Side 2--SW2-1444-N2

New York mastering; Scranton pressing. Out of phase on both sides.

14. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

15. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

The best vinyl pressing I have of "The Magic Of Christmas" / "The Christmas Song" album is still the set of stereo 7-inch discs that were issued for jukebox play. (There are two different pressings of this set, made a year apart, and they have different song combinations. A few of the discs in the second set have three songs per disc, rather than two...)
    But my rating of the jukebox set probably doesn't mean much because the only other vinyl version I have is a previously sealed 1970s reissue of "The Christmas Song" LP, and that disc doesn't sound very good.
    I hanker for a nice clean copy of "The Magic Of Christmas," but haven't found one as that album wasn't in print for very long.
    label2.jpg strips.jpg

16. MLutthans

I can't say I'm recommending it, but I've posted a clip from the 1986 Capitol CD, #CDP 7 46318 2, here:

http://www.11fifty.com/Site_108/NatColeAdesteFideles.html

Matt

Kkfan likes this.
  17. MLutthans

I had posted about GOD REST YE MERRY, GENTLEMEN being an alternate take on the COLE, CHRISTMAS AND KIDS compact disc. I was apparently reacting to smoking some bad Seattle hookah, as it's NOT an alternate. Just wanted to clarify and apologize for the goof.

Matt

Michael and Simon A like this.
  18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Matt,

The notes inside COLE, CHRISTMAS & KIDS for "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" show

19. MLutthans

^^^^^^Thanks, Martin!

20. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Thanks, Matt.

When you say you can't say you're recommending it, do you mean you can't recommend it?

The clip doesn't sound bad, but then again one can't judge much through computer speakers. :)

21. dale 88

Perisphere, I am glad you confirmed what I was hearing on my stereo copy of The Magic Of Christmas. Do you happen to know if the West Coast stereo pressing was in phase? Is it worth searching out?

22. MLutthans

I've never heard any other CD versions, so I can't say this one's superior. Having said that, I'm not impressed with the disc as a whole, but others who have other versions should chime in.

23. dale 88

Kkfan, it is hard to recommend a CD version of this album, since those I know have a drawback somewhere. I don't have the two issues you mention so I can't recommend one over the other. However, the 1990 one seems to be a reissue of the 1986 CD. The EMI 2002 disc seems to have copyright dates of 1992, 1993 on the back cover shown online, so I am wondering if EMI did their own issue or not? I think I will take a chance on the EMI disc and order it for myself, hoping that EMI did their own mastering. Of the commercially available CD versions, I would have recommended the 2009 disc mastered by Brad McEowen except it has (I would swear) some added treble energy that just irritates me.
    http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Song-Nat-King-Cole/dp/B002HMHXN6/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1355555170&sr=1-1&keywords=nat king cole christmas song 2009

I haven't ranked the commerical CD issues yet in descending order (maybe in a few days), but I already know that the only CD I will be recommending was not available in record stores and is now out of print.

24. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Nathan,
    Thanks for that info.

So, which is this out-of-print CD that you can recommend?

25. MLutthans

I've never heard this CD, but I did listen to the free iTunes clips, and at first blush, it sounds like a remix rather than a remaster. Is that correct?