The sound of Nat King Cole's The Magic of Christmas & The Christmas Song ALBUMS

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dale 88, Dec 14, 2012.

1. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Thanks Mluut. You could be 100% right about the lathes, but I'd go a step farther...I'd bet the 1965 Rainbow Swirl version was cut on a tube lathe, and the 1980s Blue label on a solid state lathe. They both have those respective sounds. I'm sure W.B. would know exactly, he's amazing.

Honestly, you cant go wrong with either, but boy do I love that classic, warm 1960s Rainbow Swirl Capitol sound.

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Yeah, the tube vs. solid state was assumed, I figured.

Also, as far as the disappearing vocal part goes, I thought that was especially true on the mono version. From a page or two back:
    <<•Nat's voice definitely strikes me as being low in the mix in places, sometimes distractingly so.
    •The overall smoothness of the mix (everything blended, nothing sticking out -- especially the sometimes-bothersome-in-stereo chorus) is very pleasant. There just nothing 'jagged' about it in any way. It's pillow-y.
    •Tonally, it's very similar to some other late-50s mono Capitol mixes, i.e., No One Cares, Tell Me All About Yourself. It's a little midrange-wonky, and soft on the top end, but with warm bass.>>

3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

All "Rainbow Swirls," regardless of artist or record, were mastered on tube-based Scully lathes, with (as of '65) a method of mastering dating back to 1962 (i.e. cut off certain frequencies to avoid groove skipping) which Our Host has complained about in many ways over the years. The first solid-state (in this case, Neumann VMS-66) lathe was first placed into service in 1969 in time to cut the first lacquers of The Beatles' Abbey Road album and "Something" / "Come Together" single. By then, also, both Neumanns and Scullys in Hollywood would have had Neumann SX-68 cutterheads.

McLover likes this.
  4. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Thanks WB. Actually, I had suspected as much over the years, as I play all my LPs on a 1959 Restored EICO Tube amp, and just about EVERY Capitol Rainbow swirl LP I have sounds magical, with that wonderful, warm Capitol Sound. Thanks for confirming that!

5. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

MMM likes this.
  6. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

The fact that they're apparently re-releasing "The Christmas Song" LP rather than the original "Magic Of Christmas" LP is a potential disappointment. I'd have rather seen the original album, with it's track line up and cover art, than the later, reconfigured and re-titled version. But who knows? Maybe this new LP will include all the stereo Christmas recordings.

All that said, I agree that what we most desperately need to see is a new mixing and mastering of this material from the original three-track session tapes.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  7. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm Thread Starter

Although I haven't found it listed anywhere else just yet, CD Universe has a listing for the 2014 LP reissue of The Christmas Song. If this description on their site is to be believed, the usual version of The Christmas Song will be replaced by two other versions. And I don't want to believe that they will be using the Bob Norberg mastering.

Product Description

First issued in the early 1960s, this collection of musical Christmas cheer is packed full of the smoothly sung, sentimental favorites associated as much with Nat "King" Cole himself as with the season. The singer's performance of "The Christmas Song" is an unforgettable classic reprised here twice, once in an updated version that includes a contemporary vocal from his daughter, Natalie, and also in Cole's original 1946 recording. Other traditional religious favorites like "I Saw Three Ships" and "Away in a Manger" are also featured, in a setting that, with its well-arranged orchestral accompaniment, manages to sound both sophisticated and folksy. Includes liner notes by Dick LaPalm. Digitally remastered by Bob Norberg (Capitol Mastering). Reissue producer: Brad Benedict. Personnel includes: Nat "King" Cole (vocals, piano); Natalie Cole (vocals); Ralph Carmichael (conductor). Producer: Lee Gillette.

[​IMG] Product Details

CD Universe Part number9353868
    LabelCapitol
    Orig Year2003
    Catalog number002136601
    Discs1
    Release DateSep 30, 2014
    Studio/LiveStudio
    Mono/StereoStereo
    PersonnelNat "King" Cole - vocals, piano
    Natalie Cole - vocals
    Ralph Carmichael - conductor

This is the cover shown on the Universe site:
    [​IMG]

8. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm Thread Starter

On the other hand, I find the Elusive Disc site says it is going to be a "faithful" reissue of the 1963 disc.

This faithful vinyl reissue of Nat King Cole's holiday album features beautifully restored cover art.

Features:
    • Vinyl LP

Selections:
    1. The Christmas Song
    2. Deck the Halls
    3. Adeste Fideles
    4. O Tannenbaum
    5. O Little Town of Bethlehem
    6. I Saw Three Ships
    7. O Holy Night
    8. Hark, The Herald Angels Sing
    9. Away In A Manger
    10. Joy to the World
    11. The First Noel
    12. Caroling, Caroling
    13. Silent Night ​

MLutthans likes this.
  9. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Just got confirmation that this is going to use an old mix.

10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Is this a bad thing? If we get a nice mastering of it, wouldn't that count for something?

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  11. Clark V Kauffman

Crap! This is insane. Nat Cole's best-selling album is constantly being reissued, repackaged and recycled but Capitol can't be bothered to do a decent remix. Infuriating.

12. Clark V Kauffman

Not really. The available mixes are all seriously flawed. I don't think mastering is the culprit. They need to go back to the multi-track session tapes and start from scratch.

13. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Was the Norberg release a remix or simply a new master drowned in bad EQ and NR?

14. MLutthans

Remix.

I see in another thread that @bferr1 has a copy of the new LP in hand. I'm very curious to hear his (and others') thoughts. This is one of my all-time favorite Christmas albums. :)

Simon A and MMM like this.
  15. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I got home from work too late last night to listen, but I did take it out of the shrink wrap. I think the front and back covers were reproduced well, but with the added barcode and UMe logo on the rear. So, not an exact replica. The inner jacket is plain white with a center hole. The disc itself was dusty, with little paper bits all over it. And it's somewhat flimsy, standard weight vinyl. I noticed some "cloudy" areas on both sides, and it's ever so slightly warped. First impression: this must have been pressed at Rainbo.

If this is representative of UMe's current approach to packaging and pressings, then, for the upcoming Sinatra titles, we should expect something a little less than the Capitol "From The Vault" series from 2009.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    dale 88 likes this.
  16. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Understood. The perils of judging a book by its cover, I suppose. Although there's something to be gleaned about the level of priority a record company places on a reissue when you take all aspects into account, including cosmetic touches and concerns about the pressing.

I was able to give the LP a spin this morning, but a casual listen at best while I chased my daughter around with her breakfast cereal. (We like to listen to music over breakfast, and she often requests "Atra" for Frank, or Beatles or Elvis. I'm a proud papa!)

I can't say I'm very familiar with this album-- actually, I'm not at all-- but what I heard sounded lovely to me. Great music to play while force-feeding Cheerios to my daughter!

Matt, I can provide samples, if you'd like. PM me if interested...

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    dale 88 likes this.
  17. MLutthans

^^^^^Cute!

Wow....unfamiliar with the Nat Christmas LP? I'm surprised! And a little envious. It's a great album (IMO), and one that I've been spinner since I was a very young child.

bferr1 likes this.
  18. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Actually, it was the Hoffman SACD series that first turned me on to NKC, so consider me a newbie. That Dell box I picked up is pretty much a blind buy since I wanted to delve deeper into his catalog. And I'm liking what I've heard so far!

Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  19. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I might digitize the album this weekend because my tonearm was bobbing up and down like a small craft at sea, and I don't like the visual reminder of that slight warping. It didn't seem to affect sound quality, though...

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I think most who love Frank would at the least like Nat, and vice-versa. It would be hard not to, IMO. Amazing talent.

guy incognito, Kkfan, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  21. MLutthans

@bferr1 - is the label a 9:00 rainbow? Just curious.

22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

MLutthans likes this.
  23. MLutthans

Oh, yeah....that actually would be authentic, not the 9:00, which was used on "The Magic of Christmas." Had a brain fart there.

24. MLutthans

So, all references to "Edith Bergdahl" have been removed from the label credits? They were still there when The Christmas Song LP was issued on vinyl by Capitol in the mid-80s.

Here's a c. 1962 Magic of Christmas label, with "Bergdahl"-o-plenty:
    DSC_0840b.jpg

25. MLutthans

Pardon the really cruddy photo that I dug up off my laptop from a few years back, but here's my green-label mid-80s The Christmas Song LP label, with Bergdahl still in the credits on the label:
    DSC_0842b.jpg