The Stones ARE performing Sticky Fingers. TONIGHT. (May 20 2015) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by botley, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

I actually think its great when the song actually sounds good. If it doesn't sound good then not sure how it can be great.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  2. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I share your frustration with the tiredness of these "debates." It's why I don't read Stones boards anymore. But your post honestly seems like either a brilliant stroke of cutting the Gordian knot by disagreeing with everyone (the masterly bit here is that you actually like the original version -- you're not a Stones hater, like many on this board) -- or just trolling.

fwiw, I think nearly any version from '72-73 is competitive with the studio cut. Even Altamont is. But that's just an opinion -- neither of us can be "proved wrong." Trying to do that is what makes these discussions pointless.

3. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

No I believe the Stones can't perform BS nearly as well as the original and have proven that for 40 years now. I think their performance the other night was basically what it always is. I brought this up on a Stones board once and some people did agree with me.

I am a huge Stones fan. My favorite band ever by far.

4. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

5. He do make it look easy

6. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm posting from work so I can't look through the entire thread at the moment, so forgive me: Has someone posted the entire performance of "Brown Sugar" ?
    If so , can you let me know where I can hear it ? What are you basing your opinion of the performance on ? I'd like to give it a listen.

reb likes this.
  7. botley

botley Forum Resident Thread Starter

Same 15-second clip I posted pages ago. Moronic discussion, really.

8. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

That was always the case with the Rolling Stones, they never sounded live as hot as on their studio recordings, be it "Satisfaction", "Jumping Jack Flash", "Let's spend the night together" or probably every of their classic hits.
    But I think we have got used to that by now, don't we?

Jonboy likes this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

When you're in the hall, listening to it at high volume, in the heat of the moment, one doesn't say to oneself "oh, this isn't as good as the studio version". One enjoys the moment of seeing the band actually playing it live. That goes for any artist.

10. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Agreed. I didn't like the bit I saw, but perhaps we should reserve final judgment until we've seen the full show.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  11. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Richard Thompson

linclink and jammincrowe like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

That's what I was afraid of actually. I was hoping the people that are saying the Stones aren't sounding good on it were listening to a complete performance, not a 15 second clip.

Otherwise, welcome to the Hoffman Forum's new, fast paced game show : Snap Judgement ! :p

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  13. Glenn Christense

14. Randu

Randu Senior Member

Maybe if everyone (present company excepted) weren't stealing music on torrent sites these old farts could afford to retire in peace instead of needing to keep hoofing it into their 70s!
    ;)

Jonboy likes this.
  15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Sounded pretty good to me. I don't see the problem.

reb likes this.
  16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I think of all the aging rockers out there, Jagger's hair is the most convincing. I don't know if it's just really good professional coloring or a wig or the blood of virgins or what, but he always looks astonishingly good for his age to me, especially in live performance. I've thought Woody's hair was a bad rug since the 90's, but Jagger's looks nothing like that.

John Grimes likes this.
  17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I don't hear the problem.

Does anyone feel there is a problem ?:winkgrin:

dkmonroe likes this.
  18. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I did not complain, that they sound different, in fact I like it very much, when things get re-invented in concert - not just reproduced. But in case of the Stones it was strange from the beginning, that they rarely were able to reproduce the "groove" of certain songs. And without that groove some songs lost a bit of their magic. And I think that's what many people feel about their live performance. And the volume alone cannot replace that. I saw them in Düsseldorf some years ago and they did "Satisfaction" in such a bad way, that many people wondered, whether they had played that song ever before. But as I wrote before, after all this time we know it and we love them. And we should feel happy, that they are still around.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  19. just read they were all up in the VIP section heaven forbid they were forced to mingle with the rabble

rburly and Dave Hoos like this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, it's bizarre but I always feel comforted in the knowledge that the Stones (or what's left of them) are still out there on the planet playing their rock 'n' roll. As if, what makes part of what I am is still alive. They've been out there doing it since my childhood in the early 60s and they are part of me. It's hard to believe that they are still doing it in 2015.
    Looking at the clips from that LA show however, there are looking painfully geriatric now and gets more and more upsetting to see it all gradually grinding to a halt.

ajsmith likes this.
  21. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

The version of "Brown Sugar" from Ladies And Gentlemen is pretty great. I reckon that's as good as there is.

Jonboy and telepicker97 like this.
  22. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

Or maybe bring him on at the halfway point and play out the rest of the show. It could/would/should have been great.

telepicker97 likes this.
  23. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Moonlight Mile sounds worse...

Brown Sugar has no balls, MM...no subtleties.

But, it's show #1...I hope they get it worked before Arrowhead.

24. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Mick Taylor makes all the difference in the world in this version. I can't imagine this song without Mick T.

docwebb likes this.
  25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IDK. Playing Sticky Fingers without M.T. seems kind of dumb to me. This isn't a matter of Ronnie being better or worse or whatever. It's just he was so integral to the album and he can still bring it, and elevate the band in the process.

sorry, bad mood after the Ticket debacle in Milwaukee. The Stones are kind of pissing me off.

Dave Hoos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.