The Stranglers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mixtress, Nov 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Now is there any consensus on the new Old Testament box over the very expensive original box? Anyone compared like for like? I hope I haven't missed a relevant post.

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The new OT has been reviewed: apparently it uses the same mastering as the remasters with less limiting or lower volume IIRC.
    Also, the fantastic book that comes with the original OT isn't present.
    On digital, the original CDs are still the best.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  3. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Meaning the original Old Testament box, which blows the individual original CD issues away, imho.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The original CDs I have compared to the ones in the original Old Testament were in fact the same mastering, just slightly lower in volume as to not reach 0dBFS: Meninblack (Fame EMI CD) and No More Heroes. I'm not sure about the others.

5. marcfeld69

Right. I read so many pages here I just lost track.

Plan9 likes this.
  6. marcfeld69

Does this mean the original UK CDs, because I remember reading a number of indifferent assessments of these. It makes me wonder what is so special about this box apart from the original book ... the new box is obviously pretty cheap.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

NMH was the original UK CD with bonus tracks, and MIB was the Fame EMI CD -I don't know if it is the same as the "normal" UK CD.
    There are also more bonus tracks on the OT than on the original CDs.

The new OT is cheap but the mastering is inferior and it doesn't have the really great book. It is an excellent read, and a great biography of the band.

jsayers and marcfeld69 like this.
  8. marcfeld69

I just came across an EX The Raven Porky Prime Cut 1st UK for about $30 (with the 3D cover). I am totally psyched. I had this as a kid and it got dispersed over the years. It's far and the away my favourite album of theirs, though I've been listening to a lot of their later stuff recently. I really like Written in Red, which I didn't see mentioned here.

I don't really like The Stranglers live much, but the Hope and Anchor album is pretty good; I prefer it to Live X Cert.

9. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

The more I listen to The Gospel According To The Meninblack, the more I think it was their finest moment.

Kym and marcfeld69 like this.
  10. marcfeld69

I see Men in Black very much as a continuation of The Raven but I don't know it as well. I like it a lot, though.

11. Former Scientist

Former Scientist Now on wheels....

Congratulations, I'm very jealous....I've been looking for an EX copy of the 3d cover Raven for about 20 years! I know they aren't that rare, but EX copies sure are....

marcfeld69 likes this.
  12. ReggieTheVaper

ReggieTheVaper Forum Resident

If my memory is correct the "Gospel" album was released AFTER Hugh Cornwells Pentonville prison episode. I was expecting a far superior album to come from his incarceration....considering the time he had on his hands to write new material. I've never liked the album, having purchased it on the day of release.

For me "The Black Album" remain their masterpiece..by some large margin..

Just my 2 cents.

Tristero and Rufus McDufus like this.
  13. marcfeld69

Thanks. These things turn up all the time in Tokyo. I do have to play it yet but I don't think it's going to be noisy. I did buy a cheap 1st UK Black and White 1st recently as well as NMH and RN. They were all fine except B&W, which had plenty of crackles, but I haven't cleaned that yet.

Former Scientist likes this.
  14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The Stranglers had been around longer than some of their 77 punk contempories and were also different in that they used keyboards.

Golden Brown was something of a novelty record and while very popular is not typical of much of their sound, particularly the earlier material, which was much grittier.

Their classic single was arguably Peaches, which was banned for a while on Uk radio because of its supposedly sexist lyrics. I think they had to re record it to get it played.

This came from arguably their best, and debut, album Rattus Norvegicus, which was punier and recorded in just a few days. This album also boasted the single Get A Grip. On Yourself and another of their then popular live cuts, Hanfing Around.

The follow up album No More Heroes is also worth looking into. But Rattus is their main one, at least here in the UK. Best on original vinyl.

Others have also cited their version of Walk on By. I've an idea this was released last month for RSD 15 as a double sided 7" single with Dionne Warwick's classic version.

15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

Rattus and No More Heroes have just been re-released on vinyl, Rattus includes the Choosey Soozy 7"

dvcarrick likes this.
  16. fraq_78

fraq_78 Well-Known Member

17. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

18. fraq_78

fraq_78 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm only trying to replace my "The Raven" and "La Folie" 2001 remasters cheaply, and hoping it's the same case as with the Echo & The Bunnymen box on the same series, which has been said not to use the remasters.

19. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

The last album Giants, for me is hands down the best since Hugh's departure. I am a huge Stranglers fan, and Giants is pretty damn good.

manicpopthrill, Bonddm and Plan9 like this.
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

My bet is that they are the remasters...
    I guess you may have to take one for the team to know for sure... :-/

21. sbardc

sbardc Forum Resident

Is this a different mastering to the first UK CD (CDP 7466132)?

I'd always assumed the Japanese CD was a clone as both discs have the same bonus track and the same slightly revised artwork.

22. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

It's probably the same, I just love original Japan cd pressings when I can get them at a reasonable price.

23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Has anybody here heard the new "Coup De Grace" vinyl? Is this album worthwhile at all?

24. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Really loved these guys in the heyday, still do!
    My fave is still No More Heroes. Saw them back in the old days at the 9:30 Club in DC!

An aside: also saw PIL there, and Rotten came into the bathroom and took a leak right next to me pre show...
    Other people were there and couldn't believe it... he was snarling away the whole time...
    just a hilarious moment!

garythain, hammer99 and jsayers like this.
  25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Who's pressing the vinyl?
    I have no recollection of this album, but I have kept it on CD, so it must have at least a little something interesting.
    Frankly, the master must be 44.1kHz digital, so...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.