The "Sundazed" Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DCW, Feb 16, 2014.

1. DCW

DCW been a-boogeyin' since I ditched the stroller. Thread Starter

I've been doing some house cleaning, which has entailed that I organize my music collection. Lately, I've been categorizing my "Garage" discs and putting them in organized containers. I have filled a container of nothing but "Sundazed" releases, and have begun another.

I had forgotten how satisfying everything I ever obtained from Sundazed was.

Sundazed is now apparently doing a booming vinyl business now, reissuing major label releases, and getting a lot of acclaim for it. However, "back in the day" of compact discs, those liners, those remasters, and those "lost" bands made up a library that I will always treasure. Less a record company; more a maker of heirlooms. Thank you, Irwins!!

So, what's your favorite Sundazed reissue? Favorite comp? Favorite vinyl reissue? Have you ever thought of taking a pilgrimage to Coxsackie the way other people do Cleveland? If you are a baby boomer musician, do you have fantasies about Sundazed finding the tapes you and your teenaged band made in the drummer's basement and repackaging it in glorious Technicolor (Even I have this fantasy, and I was in a teenaged band in the un-Garage-y 1980's)?

Do you love Sundazed? What do you love about the label?

Discuss Sundazed!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  2. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

They'll forever have my gratitude for releasing the 3 disc 'Magic Time' compilation by the Millennium at the heigh of my Curt Boettcher mania.

3. DCW

I've got that one!! Love Curt Boettcher!

jacchank, Dan, sitar66 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I love the Sundazed label. If I had to pick one of their reissue projects I like the best it would be the 1994 Chocolate Watchband CD's with the bonus tracks.:righton:All 3 albums. I'll never part with them.

5. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

My wife got me the VU mono box set for Christmas and I have the Sundazed re-issue of The Stooges S/T. Also have the 13th Floor Elevators Psychedelic Sounds mono from them. REALLY happy with all of them!

6. Trebor

Trebor Forum Resident

They ticked me off a bit when I bought some of their OOP CD titles at high prices from their Kustom Shop, then they started pressing them again at the regular price. I haven't bought anything from them since. I felt burned.

7. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Senior Member

I dig the Byrds 'The Columbia Singles 65-67'
    'She don't care about time' is heavy.

8. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Margot Guryan's release on vinyl was a life changer for me. I've also been playing the snot out of the Bluesbreakers with Clapton record.

sami and sitar66 like this.
  9. DCW

That's the song I use to check the tuning on my Ric-12. Gene Clark could do no wrong on those first 2 Byrds albums.

10. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

I like their website: with the sound samples incorporated on an album's page, deciding on a purchase is easy :thumbsup:
    [my last purchase included Spirit, The Druids Of Stonehenge, and High Tide this way]

11. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I discovered The Left Banke because of Sundazed. Right there is pretty cool.

12. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I really wish they stop using United for vinyl!

13. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

I love the "United States Of America" album reissue with those bonus tracks ... and of course my Traffic and Mamas&Papas mono CDs.

14. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

H P Lovecraft live album

Buddybud, simonux, Folknik and 3 others like this.
  15. procco23

procco23 Forum Resident

I've been to Coxsackie to pick up some records in person a few times and passed up an offer to tour their studios as I was pressed for time. Bob Irwin and Tim Livingston are great folks. I just got their version of Sly's Dance To The Music last week and it sounds really nice compared to my yellow-label Epic...

I also recently downloaded their Country Pickin' - Don Rich Anthology from iTunes...

fortherecord, sitar66 and crispi like this.
  16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

The first five Byrds albums in mono.

17. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

I have a bunch of SD LPs. I love playing them. Bob's mastering is always excellent. The only drawback is some of the United pressings are lousy.

John Bliss, Hamhead and sitar66 like this.
  18. After Bathing at Baxters in mono

19. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I've been a fan since the first CD release in, I think, 1989. The Five Americans, I believe, was their first CD release. They were also releasing some vinyl because I got their Metrobeat label blue vinyl LP and a couple Knickerbockers 45s. This was pre-internet and I looked everywhere for the Five Americans CD before finding a copy. At the time most CDs were about $15.00 each and they were still being sold as the ultimate in sound quality. ICE magazine was getting started and each new issue had lots of info about Sundazed releases that made you want to buy everything. (I really miss ICE!!) Sundazed releases are just as much fun today and I especially like the garage era comps. My only gripe is I don't care for the limited release issues for RD etc. If they release something I'd like it to be available to everyone for awhile and not immediately shoot up in price and be hard to find. Sundazed is great label and I suggest you check them out if you don't have any of their material.

billnunan, sitar66, GTOJUDGE and 2 others like this.
  20. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Do you have a picture of your Ric? I'd love to see it.

21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I have quite a few CDs.....all their Chocolate Watchband, Standells, and Box Tops reissues. 1st 3 Moby Grape. The Left Banke. Blues Project Projections in mono. I'm currently trying to get all of their Chad & Jeremy, but one is OOP and expensive. I also blew it with the last 2 Moby Grapes, and all of the Turtles except for Battle Of The Bands.

22. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I need the same Turtles CD. Keep looking for the Chad & Jeremy, they are excellent. Wish I had the Moby Grapes!

sitar66 likes this.
  23. Raynie

Raynie Hyperactive!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    sitar66 and Campbell Saddler like this.
  24. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

I always thought Psychedelic Microdots Of The 60s: Orange , Sugar And Chocolate was their lst CD release in 1989. Anyway, I know I got it long before I saw anything else on the Sundazed label. One of my all time favorite reissue labels!

sami, sitar66, GTOJUDGE and 1 other person like this.
  25. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Thinking back, I believe the Five Americans was their 3rd release, the Microdots was the 4th and a Knickerbockers CD was the 1st. Not really sure.

fortherecord and sitar66 like this.