The "Sundazed" Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DCW, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

elaterium and crispi like this.
  2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

crispi likes this.
  3. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

man, you guys are reminding me there's a bunch of Sundazed monos I need to spring for.

My wallet is getting The Fear.

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

In case you didn't already know...putting MONO in their search box brings up ALL OF IT. :tiphat:

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Sundazed was imo the first modern reissue company to take the risk putting out major titles in their original mono form instead of going with the "standard" stereo version. Notice how many have followed in the years gone by.

Campbell Saddler, sitar66 and Myke like this.
  6. It's too bad they stopped selling their LP package deals. You would save a bit on the Byrds or other LP sets if you purchased the 4 or 5 LPs together. They only have it for a few 7" now...

7. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident

Th
    They are always running specials you just need to check into their site every now and then. Also they should be selling their RSD titles on line during Record Store Day. I have picked some up in the past.

8. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Yeah, anyone who's not should sign up for their mailing list. They run some pretty hefty specials a couple times a year.

9. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Maybe Bob Irwin will chime in on this topic (or maybe he doesn't want to). I'm pretty sure most of them, if not all, are not AAA. How else can you have Kevin Gray re-cut some of the Sundazed stuff, while it still being "mastered by Bob Irwin"? Of course, only by having Bob master the digital files, which he then gives to KG for a re-cut. You certainly wouldn't imagine Sony giving them the master tapes for Blonde On Blonde just to re-cut the record?
    I've done many needledrops of my Sundazed LPs and I always see that characteristic sudden fall-off at 22kHz, denoting an LP cut from 44 kHz files.
    Do I have a problem with that? Certainly not, if it sounds good it sounds good. Like I said, Sundazed is my favourite reissue label.
    To be honest, I don't even know how you guys got the impression these were mastered in AAA in the first place. They are mastered from the master tapes, though, that I certainly believe. But my hunch is that there is digital involved.

clhboa and googlymoogly like this.
  10. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Speaking of Sundazed and mono, I'll give a shout-out to Captain Beefheart's mono Safe As Milk. Thank you. :righton:

johnnypaddock and Platterpus like this.
  11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

As a Sundazed customer for well over two decades this claim about cutting from digital is news to me. More like conjecture.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  12. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Among my favorites, as well.

indy mike likes this.
  13. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I too would be surprised if all or even a majority of Sundazed's vinyl releases were strictly analog cuts.

crispi likes this.
  14. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This is basically what I suspected but I can't make this claim because I'm not sure. I noticed a big improvement on the Sundazed titles that have KG in the deadwax though.

BOB was one of my first Sundazed albums and I have since sold it off and replace it with the Legacy version that sounds much better.

I don't do needle drops or look at wave forms but that is good know. I would imagine they'd at least being cutting from 24/96 but maybe not when they were done at NRP.

I never said they were AAA or they were not. So not sure how you lump me with "you guys." I was just inquiring.

The thing is, sometimes mastered from analog means mastered and cut and sometimes it does not, it's not the most transparent language when speaking about vinyl mastering. I know the most absolute language is "Cut form the Original Analog Masters" but I don't want to dismiss something as not being AAA because it doesn't say that, that would be a huge error as well.

15. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

This Sundazed release is easily the best collection of The Guess Who's pre-"These Eyes" material, and for that I commend them.

JoeRockhead and Myke like this.
  16. crispi

Mikemoon, it wasn't my intention to "lump" you in with "you guys". Sorry for that. Actually, it was more of a response in general to the "analog police" type of people that populate these forums. How I see it is that there are some signs that these LPs are cut from digital, but some people (especially the aforementioned "analog police") prefer to turn a blind eye on it. Why? because they love Sundazed. So they have a moral dilemma. Therefore they prefer to just ignore the topic. It's surprising how little talk there is about it.

We all know from reading this forum of how reluctant labels are about giving out their precious master tapes. I think everyone here understands that, just think about the BoB example. Kevin Gray did a good job with the new records, well, because he's very very good (and I have nothing against Wes Garland either, who did most of the previous cuts, at least for the records I have). But the source was probably the same files... Well, if you don't like my post, just ignore it. Time (or Bob Irwin) will tell.

mikemoon likes this.
  17. crispi

Having said that, I too feel we should ignore this topic. We are here to celebrate Sundazed and the mere mention of digital-cut records turns many threads into uncomfortable conversations. :angel:

mikemoon likes this.
  18. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I live about 45 minutes away, didn't know you could visit. I think I might do that.

Platterpus likes this.
  19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

No worries, I completely agree with you. Even though I prefer analog mastered lps, a lot of what I buy is not always AAA and I'm fine with that because many times there is a reason to use high res file, etc. I promote a lot of releases that are not AAA. In saying, I don't think it is right to turn a blind eye and just assume. I do agree, Sundazed is one of the better labels (great and interesting music, great mastering and pressing quality). I think Sundazed stepped it up by using Kevin Gray and QRP and RTI. I have no problem with Wes Garland either (United a different story) as WG/NRP is on a number of my lps. I'd love to see United press as good as they are capable of because they can press well...whole different topic though.

I think I asked the same thing about Audio Fidelity and AAA and got no response in a thread. I just see inconsistent things and try to always know as much as possible. Audio Fidelity is a good label though and I'm thinking of buying several more of their lps. Hell, I even bought some of their cds mastered by our host and I'm not even a cd. But I did want his mastering of the titles I purchased!

As far as digital, I've come to the defense of Music on Vinyl because they are all cut digital or use original metal parts. They are transparent if you ask.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to attack you either. At first it came off the wrong way but I see now what you mean and where you were going.

I also hope nothing I have not posted anything offensive to Bob Irwin or Sundazed. This was not my intention. I have many of their titles in my collection and plan to add more soon. I know Bob and Sundazed are sincere and passionate about what they do. I hope they are around for years to come!

crispi likes this.
  20. I know they run specials but they used to have the packaged LP deal always up. Sometimes they may have swapped a few out but there were many sets always available ant any one time.
    I hope people just post what they truly believe. What they like and don't like even if someone stops by who is involved. I'm not taking about personal attacks but I don't feel people should grovel towards an artist, label, producer or engineer if they feel differently about the final results. I love most of Sundazed releases but I feel the Columbia Dylan Mono box kicks ass over any others including Sundazed.

mikemoon likes this.
  21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Also, to repsond to the original topic about my favorite Sundazed titles (so far) are:

Leonard Cohen - New Skin for the Old Ceremony
    Leonard Cohen - Songs from a Room
    Otis Redding - Otis Blue
    Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk
    Phil Spector Christmas Album

There are more but that is just off the top of my head.

22. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Most of my Dylan mono LPs are Sundazed and I also really like the Left Banke reissues.

23. crispi

Here are my favorites:
    Mamas & The Papas, The - If You Can Believe Your Eyes And Ears (MONO)
    Byrds, The - Columbia Singles '65-'67 (I JUST LOVE this one; perfect in every way)
    Byrds, The - The Notorious Byrd Brothers (MONO, KG cut)
    Booker T. & The MGs* - Soul Dressing (mono)
    Sly & The Family Stone - Stand! (KG cut)
    Otis Redding - The Dock Of The Bay

mikemoon likes this.
  24. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

We're Gonna Love showed up on a Back From the grave set. I was floored when Bob I licensed it and released the ep.

25. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

I first met Bob & Tim @ the WFMU record fair in NYC, if you check Sundazed site you will see a pr of Cary SLM-100 mono block amps that my friend bought from Bob for a very good price. He invited us up for a full tour of Sundazed studio. I think I have all the garage band music issued by them + an assortment of Byrds/Dylan and others. Last Oct. I finally made it back to the record show, it's not the same without Sundazed there. I can't imagine anyone saying anything bad about Bob & Tim, such great guys

clhboa, crispi and Platterpus like this.