The TAMI Show is 50 years young this week

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosto, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bosto

bosto Forum Resident Thread Starter

50 years ago this week in Santa Monica, the TAMI Show (or T.A.M.I. Show) was filmed. An astounding array of acts from all over the 1964 music scene was assembled to perform. Personally, I believe that this concert was musically, if not socially, more significant than Woodstock, which would come a mere 5 years later.

There's a few stories out there on the anniversary. Here's a couple that are good reads ...

http://theboombox.com/james-brown-diana-ross-chuck-berry-smokey-robinson-tami-show/

http://www.rebeatmag.com/youth-culture-forever-celebrating-50-years-of-the-t-a-m-i-show/

Anyone got any TAMI memories they'd like to share?

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

One of the best DVDs ever.

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Saw it in a South Central LA theater, probably during its second run. Was about nine or ten myself.

4. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

It was a revelation for me to see what a great bass player Brian Wilson is.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  5. And what a hot drummer Dennis Wilson was. Subtle technique be damned!

MrSka57 likes this.
  6. mesfen

mesfen Senior Member

YES! James is absolutely incredible. I wish that there more of the Barbarians. Got this at ccmusic for around $5 during their ongoing sale

Remington Steele likes this.
  7. bosto

bosto Forum Resident Thread Starter

I found this promo for the show's filming on a KRLA air check.

8. Twangy

Twangy Forum Resident

have the DVD, but was just watching the James Brown documentary on HBO (produced by Mick Jagger) which was a really good one, but Mick talks about the whole TAMI thing and who was going on when, and after who, and how he kinda had to assuage James….interesting stuff, and i agree, there's is NEVER enough of the Barbarians and Moulty!!!!

9. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Recently watched this again. I really don't like the opening sequence going back and forth between Chuck Berry and Gerry and the Pacemakers. Berry is a much more important artist and should have played his own set. The film does have some high points especially the Beach Boys, James Brown and the Rollin' Stones.

chacha likes this.
  10. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

James Brown had incredible command of the stage. It took everyone to their A game to try and look more than decent compared to him. The Stones came close at moments.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks, pulling the DVD now. :tiphat:

12. Dee Zee

The Stones absolutely held their own during that show.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    Golden Richards likes this.
  13. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Wonderful concert!

14. jayhawk

jayhawk Member

I was just a kid when I saw this at the glorious Fox Theater in Joplin, Missouri. I was just knocked out by all the amazing bands that I'd only heard on radio. And I swear, I really thought there was something seriously wrong with James Brown when he kept falling to his knees..:)

O Don Piano likes this.
  15. GRC

GRC Senior Member

great DVD - james brown outrageous and leslie gore very cool............

16. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Interesting that the Beatles missed both T.A.M.I. and Woodstock... Any artist make both performances?

17. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I saw this in its first release.
    James Brown blew my mind.

18. Dee Zee

The TAMI show was 64 and Woodstock 69. 100 light years apart. I don't think there are any common acts to those shows. Now, Monterey Pop 67 and Woodstock, yes.

19. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Like many of you, I saw the T.A.M.I. Show at a drive-in, The Marbro. What a show!

20. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Interesting how both articles talk about T.A.M.I. breaking down racial barriers yet five years later Woodstock was very caucasian on stage and in the mud.

Weren't clips of this shown late night on ABC on a Saturday night circa 1973? I could swear I remember being in bar and Dick Clark and someone else talking about James Brown performance and the Stones quaking nervously in their dressing room.

21. Myke

Keith Richards calls following James Brown the biggest mistake of their career.

Assistant choreographer/dancer Toni Basil, and dancer Teri Garr too. :love:

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. Myke

23. grenard

grenard Forum Resident

I saw the T.A.M.I. Show at a screening in a cinema in Sydney in the early eighties when I was about 15. I went in as a massive Rolling Stones fan and came out a James Brown convert. His performance was astounding. When I walked out of that cinema I felt like I was levitating. Discovering James Brown that day led to the discovery of a whole universe of incredible soul, funk and jazz.

sunspot42, Emmett66 and O Don Piano like this.
  24. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

TAMI... and then 50 years later, almost to the day:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sunspot42, bandguy, Emmett66 and 3 others like this.
  25. Myke

My only experience seeing James Brown perform, was at a Charlie Daniels Band Volunteer Jam. Unforgettable.

Emmett66 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.