The technical abilities of Brian Jones

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MHP, Aug 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old school

old school Senior Member

Thanks Jonboy! That is very kind of you.

Jonboy likes this.
  2. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I love the Stones' stuff from his era, but from their beginnings to present day I think the Stones exemplify a band for which "the whole exceeds the sum of the parts." I never thought he was a standout technically excellent musician, such as the way certain guitarists in certain settings just make you go slack jawed with admiration. The Stone I miss the most is Wyman, and the Stone I find most under-recognized is Mary Clayton. I just listened to her on Gimme Shelter last night. Wow. I agree with the various posters who commented on the band's rough or unpolished character and agree and personally find that it wears a whole lot better than the Beatles's superproduced stuff. When I dig out an old record to revel and be transported, I'd rather go to 12x5 than to Abbey Road, but that's just me.

Also, when you talk about technical prowess and versatility, there are different ways of looking at that, too. However, the guys who typify that for me usually had at least one instrument on which they were not just solid but dazzling. In that vein I think of Winwood, Bruce, McCartney, etc.

ParloFax likes this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Just watch Charlie Is My Darling. Keith sits around with a guitar in his hands, just jamming for fun. Brian never touches a guitar unless he's performing.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  4. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

I think Brian Jones was a great musician. Not as a virtuoso, such as Hendrix, Allman, Taylor, Entwistle, Bruce, Beck, Blackmore, etc...but as an extremely versatile player who had a singular talent for knowing exactly what instrument for any given song. Someone earlier (I've forgotten who...sorry) described him as a great colourist and that perfectly sums up what he did once he became less interested - unfortunately - in his guitar playing.

As far as his technical ability goes, as a guitarist, I rate him at the same level as Keith. Brian played far better slide, Keith played far better solos. They're about equal when it comes to playing fills and licks in the right spots and, of course, both were extremely proficient rhythm guitar players. Technically, I think BJ was the superior rhythm player. When you listen to the early up tempo tracks that really swing, Brian is almost always supplying the rhythm that's driving the band.

As for his harp playing, I think he gets the nod over Mick, who is no slouch. They can both play tasty, bluesy, rhythmic harp playing, but Brian could really wail on the thing in a way that Mick never could. The other instrument that Jones really excelled at was that which was definitely an instrument of it's era: the mellotron. It was only used for a brief period, but some of the songs ("2000 Light Years From Home", "Jigsaw Puzzle", "We Love You") really benefit from the eerie, almost otherworldly touches Brian added to them.

Brian Jones' talents made him an integral part of the Stones sound, up to and including Beggars Banquet. Important, but not omnipotent. Flashes of genius, in terms of colour, taste and melody, but not of dazzling virtuosity. He was also a third creative force in the band (playing and arranging, rather than songwriting) which all but disappeared after his demise. Luckily, Mick and Keith hit their peak as songwriters during this time ('68-'73), so his loss wasn't really felt until several years later...when the song quality started to diminish.

Without going back and checking, I can't remember if I've answered the actual question correctly!

5. old school

old school Senior Member

Brian also played the Sitar probably the greatest use of that instrument in a rock song ever. Brian's keyboard playing organ & piano are no slouch either. If you add all the instruments he played on recording sessions there are 28 total. But what blew all the musicians in the UK was his slide playing with Alexis Korner in 1961. One of the first ever in the UK. And one of the finest. Brian might not been a virtuoso but it sure did not take long to call roll.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I prefer makeup version, ironically in b&w. :)

7. alexpop

Did -Beat Instrumental- ever mention Brian Jones in their guitar polls ?

Lightworker likes this.
  8. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Don't know about the polls, but I think that he was the "cover boy" on a couple of issues.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

Yes! Photographers loved him. Always in the forefront on the RS album covers.

10. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

"Technically skilled"? No idea.

"Great"? Absolutely.

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Not a virtuoso which is why he was such a great fit.

The worst thing that happened to them was MT joining and the best was MT leaving.

Tim Irvine likes this.
  12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Overall his role was similar to that of Peter Tork in the Monkees. Able to contribute tastefully on a variety of instruments and a bit better on them than anyone else in the band. Not a great singer or a prolific writer. First to leave. Drug addled. Similar hair.

JuanTCB, rockerreds and Lightworker like this.
  13. Lightworker

Spot on. Brian had "taste"...an elusive factor that often trumps "technical ability" in the rock and blues genres.

14. alexpop

I wouldn't equate him with Dork.

Lightworker and old school like this.
  15. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

He named the band, formed the group, taught Keith Richards open G tuning. And he put the R&B and blue notes in the Rolling Stones in contrast to The Beatles' white notes. Words to that effect in a book I've read by Paul Trynka. I agree.

Dave Hoos, ssmith3046 and old school like this.
  16. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, things really went down the crapper around the time of Let It Bleed, but Black & Blue was a huge improvement. :crazy:

17. old school

old school Senior Member

Only a Dork would equate a Dork.

alexpop likes this.
  18. Lightworker

Not musically, but the two definitely "pulled the birds" in a similar manner.

19. alexpop

Two words.
    Bill Wyman. :)

Tim Irvine and Lightworker like this.
  20. Lightworker

Wyman I'd put more in the category of a Bob Markley.
    He had an honorary degree from "Bring-'em-Young"
    University I suspect.

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Sticky Fingers and Exile had some great tunes but would benefit from a Taylor free mix. He didn't interfere too much with Let It Bleed.

Lightworker likes this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I know the history of the band and I certainly do not need a lecture from you.

You're coming across as a fanboy with no ojbectivity whatsoever.

23. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I get the impression he wanted to be lead guitarist, and when he recognized he would never get the opportunity, save for slide parts, he subversively began picking up other instruments to become the lead player (or dominant instrumental player) thru the back door.

24. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Making the songs from good to great. "Under My Thumb" for example. "Paint It Black" without Brian is almost nothing, IMO.

Dave Hoos and vonwegen like this.
  25. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Sadly Brian died before the era of the great live shows that were captured by better technology ( I am talking about arena rock not jazz in small clubs). It is too bad we are not able to hear him like we do the musicians on such albums as Ya Ya's, Live at Leeds and Grateful Dead Europe 72.

The Stones magic is spirit. I think if they came on stage and tried to do straight note by note covers of the studio cuts they would have been very boring. I think the Vault releases have shown however what they were capable of over the decades. It is too bad that the drug use may have marred some of the performances. I think onstage the ones that carried them through thick and thin were Jagger, Watts and Wyman. I think the reason that Taylor was so good is that when he was on stage he was pretty focused as opposed to the sort of pirate buccaneer relationship of Woody and Keith although that worked very well also.

Texas Girls from 78 is hardly technically exact, but a much more fun ride. It is like a car going 90 miles an hour in a 40 mile lane with the hubcaps falling off....

JLGB and Dave Hoos like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.