The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

If you research the ART-9, you'll find nearly unanimous praise, which is a rarity in this hobby.

modenaboy, displayname and punkmusick like this.
  2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Not talking about armboard screws, but tightening cartridge and arm mounting bolts within an inch of their lives.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Read this thread with great interest as I am leaving my belt drive comfort zone and recently ordered a G.
    Also two carts, one mounted on an Ortofon head shell.
    Now wondering if that (head shell) was a smart choice...not too late to change at this point.

displayname likes this.
  4. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I don't think it's too late. You could just send that headshell back if you change your mind. Or flip it if you run it for awhile and don't care for it. But I'm sure you'll love the table, have fun!

5. Slick Willie

Thanks, but by 'not too late' I meant that it can still be cancelled/substituted.

displayname likes this.
  6. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Ah, I read it wrong. But hey, it's on the way. You might as well give it a test run at this point :righton:

7. Slick Willie

Not on the way yet, awaiting the arrival of carts/headshell/installation first.

8. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Which Ortofon headshell did you get?
    I have the SH-4 but the problem with it is that the horizontal part is raised off significantly which makes VTA adjustment with certain cartridges very difficult if not impossible without shims.
    The various Yamamoto are a better choice IMO. I have both the HS-1A and the HS-4 and I highly recommend both.

wgb113, ClausH and punkmusick like this.
  9. Slick Willie

LH 2000.

10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I don't have any experience with this but I looked up its weight and it is 15.5 gr which is twice the regular Technics headshell, which I believe it is only 7 gr?
    This might be a problem or not, it depends on the cartridge, I guess.

11. Slick Willie

2M Black....and thanks for your input.

12. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The Technics headshell is 7.5 gr.
    The 2M Black is 7.2 gr.

13. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

I've noticed mistracking, distorting right channel, with my 2m black at 1.5g VTF and 1.5 antiskate on sl-1210gr. Tracking distortion is improved by jacking up antiskate to 2.5 but it seems excessive. I've also upped VTF to 1.55g which is even better.

Think I should continue raising VTF or optimize antiskate, even though high, at 1.55g VTF and be done? It's a bit disappointing. VTA is adjusted for horizontle arm. Azimuth is aligned with headshell.

14. Slick Willie

Stock head shell?

15. MusicNBeer

Yep.

Slick Willie likes this.
  16. Slick Willie

Sorry, I'm new to head shells, well, I have a couple of much lesser tables so never researched.
    Lighter the better?

17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

What’s your VTA dial set at? According to the manual and using the ortofon 2m height specs it should be at a 1 (using stock headshell and mat)

18. MusicNBeer

Yes it's set at 1. I've played with it some between 0 and 1 and noticed little change.

recstar24 likes this.
  19. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I think it depends on the cartridge. I also find this complicated, but as I understand it the ideal resonance frequency should be between 8 to 12 hz.
    Try this: Resonance Frequency

5-String likes this.
  20. Slick Willie

o_O I guess I'll just have to trust my guy for now......thanks!

21. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Different headshell weights change the mass of the tonearm and the resonance. You can use the calculator that ClausH posted above, which is a great tool btw, or you can trust your ears, which is what I do when I don't want to go down the tonearm resonance rabit hole :D.

BTW, I have used the ortofon 2m black with the 1200G on a yamamoto headshell and it sounds great.

Slick Willie likes this.
  22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Anyone know the tonearm mass for the GR? I’m trying to figure out the resonant frequency for my KAB ortofon Concorde but will need that spec since the Concorde is an integrated design

23. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

The 2M Black is a good match with the original Technics headshell, considering its weight and compliance, but the heavier is your alternative headshell the worst the numbers will become.

Slick Willie likes this.
  24. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I always assumed it was 12g but some time ago I found a review and they said they measured something about 9g.

25. MusicNBeer

If you have the equations, I can get you the exact resonant frequency with the 2m black using Audacity. You should be able to calculate the mass.