The Technics SL-1200mk2.......

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tetrack, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident Thread Starter

The mk2 height table, in the manual, has 15mm as 0 thru to 21mm as 6. So, for example, 17mm is 2 on the mk2.

2. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

As Tetrack pointed out, these settings are not the same as the ones given for the MK2. In the Mk2 manual, 17mm has a suggested VTA setting of 2.

The Mk2 comes with a thick rubber slipmat, but based on the pictures I've seen the M3D ships with a felt 'dj' slipmat that looks to be a bit thinner. This might be the reason for the different settings.

- joe s

3. harhau

harhau New Member

I'll just chime in here: I am really happy with my sl-1200mk2. Got it for $100 and put a new Grado Blue on it. Replaced the spindle and added the KAB fluid damper from www.kabusa.com. Works for me!!

- Harald

4. Mr. X

Mr. X New Member

Thanks so much for all of the great replies. I decided to use the money towards a Rotel RCD-1072, since I was in desperate need of a redbook upgrade. I realized that since I'm very happy with the sound of the Pro-Ject and Sumiko cartridge, that it would be best to enjoy it for awhile before spending money on a cartridge for the 1200.

I am still a little anxious though, because I'm dying to hear if the 1200 with a good cartridge can out-perform the Pro-Ject 1.2. Every time I look at the Pro-Ject I immediately miss having that rugged Technics table in my hifi chain. I have yet to hear from anyone who has A/B'd the two....

At any rate, the goal is to someday upgrade to a VPI Aries Scout, so when that becomes a reality, the Pro-Ject vs. 1200 debate will no longer be an issue for me. There are so many more upgrades I want to make to my A/V system, though, before I would spend that kind of money, so it's a long way off.....

5. Tetrack

:thumbsup: Welcome to the forum Harald. :)

6. Tetrack

One day at a time. ;) Welcome to the forum Mr X too. :)

7. Mr. X

Mr. X New Member

Thanks, Tetrack!

Oohh..now how about this: The Shure V15VxMR A/B'd on both turntables...??? Man, I wish there was a way I could get a comparison. I want the 1200 to be better! I just hate the flimsly Pro-Ject build....BUT, I know, I know...it's about the SOUND.

I don't know if I really believe the audiophile snobs who say the 1200 tonearm isn't very good...

(As you can see, I don't think I'll be able to rest until I just break down and get the damn cartridge for the 1200...)

8. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

For a detailed history of this Technics table, check out this Flash site crammed with information:

Technics1210.com

The link labeled "The Legacy" has an extensive history with images & text of the music that evolved with the help of DJs & their tables. And the site also sells some cool 1200 clothing too & they ship everywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.