The Temptations Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Temptations are an American vocal group known for their success with Motown Records during the 1960s and 1970s. Known for their choreography, distinct harmonies, and flashy wardrobe, the group was highly influential to the evolution R&B and soul music. Having sold tens of millions of albums, the Temptations are one of the most successful groups in music history. Over the course of their career, the Temptations have released four Billboard Hot 100 number-one singles and fourteen R&B number-one singles, and their material has earned them three Grammy Awards. The Temptations were the first Motown recording act to win a Grammy Award - for "Cloud Nine" in 1969 - and in 2013 received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. Six of the Temptations (Edwards, Franklin, Kendricks, Ruffin, Otis Williams and Paul Williams) were inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1989. Three classic Temptations songs, "My Girl", "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)", and "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone", are among The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. The Temptations were also ranked at #68 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 Greatest Artists of all time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

Aw hell yeah! Now we're talking! :D

I don't know where to start exactly, I love the "classic 5" years as well as the later Whitfield psychedelic/cinematic soul era in practically equal measure. They were able to stay relevant for longer than any other soul group with the possible exception of The Drifters and I would rank them with Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye as the three greatest Motown acts. :)

I'll start with this often neglected song from The Temptations 1982 Reunion album. Featuring seven(!) Temptations including David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks. It was produced and features contributions from Rick James.

3. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

The greatest

melstapler and JohnnyQuest like this.
  4. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I just got home from seeing Aaron Smith, who played drums on "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" (and later joined Romeo Void!), tear it up with The Freeborne at their first gig in 45 years.

melstapler, jbg and JohnnyQuest like this.
  5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

"My Girl" is my favorite song of all-time.

...or at least that's what I decided when I was nine.
    ...and you know what? It just might still be.

e.s., jbg and JohnnyQuest like this.
  6. JohnnyQuest

The Temptations were the first R&B artists I heard growing up. In fact they were the only R&B group I heard in my home.
    My parents were mostly into Rock,Country & Folk but I guess they were the exception. :)
    I also remember watching their biopic on VH1. That's what got me to check out their singles and look deeper into their catalog.
    The instant familiarity felt similar to the feeling I had when rediscovering the Beatles music.

Szeppelin75, jbg and MaccaBeatles like this.
  7. JohnnyQuest

Love the groove to this...

8. MaccaBeatles

MaccaBeatles Forum Resident

Warning! Long post ahead. ;)

I can't think of many groups that have a more unique and interesting backstory of triumph and tragedy. The fact that they are still around in a line-up as of 2014 with their only surviving original member (Otis Williams) speaks volumes. Music is what the members of The Temptations entire lives revolve around. They've had huge highs and lows but they were always evolving, always moving forward. That's why they've been able to survive as long as they have.

They are surely one of the greatest vocal groups ever, in soul music terms, you can't get as legendary as the Temps'. They are in my opinion the greatest Motown group, with some of the greatest voices in soul. (David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Paul Williams, Dennis Edwards, Ali Woodson etc.)

What's not to love? Sure, you may be sick and tired of 'My Girl' but they have so many brilliant songs, particularly from the creative minds of Norman Whitfield and Smokey Robinson at their peak its hard not to like them.

There have been about a million line-ups of the group, many of them terrific and they are still going today.

The most popular though are the classic five. (David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Paul Williams, Melvin Franklin and Otis Williams. From 1964-1968 they rode their first wave of Motown magic.

[​IMG]

Eddie and Paul originally had most of the leads until David took lead on the Smokey Robinson penned 'My Girl', after that it was mainly David although Eddie still sang a lot of lead vocals with his trademark soaring falsetto.

**** me. David Ruffin could sing. I would honestly place him up there with Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Marvin, Curtis etc.

'Ain't Too Proud To Beg' (1966) -

http://eyeneer.com/video/r-bsoul/the-temptations/aint-too-proud-to-beg

'I Wish It Could Rain' (1967) -

http://eyeneer.com/video/r-b-soul/the-temptations/i-wish-it-would-rain

Eddie Kendricks singing 'Get Ready' (1966), one of my favourites.

http://eyeneer.com/video/r-bsoul/the-temptations/get-ready

Here's Paul Williams showing off his awesome moves and gruff voice on the Ed Sullivan show. Featuring the fan favourite B-Side, 'Don't Look Back'. (1967)

http://eyeneer.com/video/r-bsoul/the-temptations/dont-look-back

By 1968 Ruffin was fired due to his increasing drug and ego problems. He was replaced by Dennis Edwards, this gave Whitfield the idea to re-invent the groups entire dynamic and sound to a more psychedelic flavour inspired by the likes of Sly & The Family Stone. As a result the soul became less conventional and more political in scope.

[​IMG]

This is one of my favourites from after David Ruffin was replaced as a lead singer by Dennis Edwards.

'I Can't Get Next To You' (1969) -

http://eyeneer.com/video/r-bsoul/the-temptations/i-cant-get-next-to-you

Just about any other vocal group would be lost without their most famous voice, but Norman Whitfield wasn't your average producer, and over the next five years he would work with them, they recorded just as many hits as they did with David.

Towards the end of Whitfield's tenure with the group the psychedelic soul evolved into cinematic soul. This meant the songs became longer and tended to feature longer instrumental sections over vocal contributions. Much to the disdain of The Temptations, who kicked Whitfield out by the end of 1973. Nevertheless the group recorded fantastic material during this time including the likes of Papa Was A Rollin' Stone and Masterpiece. This era only adds to the musically rich variety already present in the Temptations large body of work. :)

'Masterpiece' (1973) -

I could continue to go on for many, many hours about how much this soul group means to me, there is just so much gold in their long and varied history.
    Here's the early 80's Temptations line-up (including Dennis, Melvin and Otis) singing live against The Four Tops on the Motown 25 special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDx3iCv2XCY

They also have a shockingly high mortality rate considering the only surviving original member, Otis Williams is only 72. Of the first 10 people to be a member of The Temptations only two of them are still alive. (Dennis Edwards being the other.)
    Some would say that makes their story tragic, but the fact that the group has managed to survive and move forward past these events shows that the music they were all a part of will long outlive their downfalls in their personal life. From David Ruffin's pleading vocals to Eddie Kendrick's sky high falsetto, to Melvin Franklin's booming voice, to Dennis Edward's gruff gospel inspired vocals. The music they created together is immortal. That makes their story a success.

Beyond that, whenever a teenager falls in love for the first time, My Girl is the song that expresses how he feels in a way that sometimes words can't, i'm certain at the very least that song will be here thousands of years from now. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IUG-9jZD-g

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  9. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

"Getting Ready "and" With a lot of Soul " are filled with genius songs ( hello Smokey !) from start to finish , unbelievable records
    The Norman Whitfield psychedelic area still amazes me , so innovative
    and those voices , those voices !!!

Nostaljack, Hep Alien, e.s. and 3 others like this.
  10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

One of my all-time faves. You're My Everything. Love the alternating leads by Eddie & David.

Darryl

11. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

12. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Awesome group with many great songs and albums. I'm especially fond of their late 60's-early 70's output.

melstapler likes this.
  13. GlassOnion

GlassOnion Well-Known Member

I love the BIO movie on them and that too was what got me into looking more into their music.Also lef me to buy the book the bio is based on.Its not a long read,but i love it.Love their music..Just My Imaganation being my fav song

14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Too often forgotten in these career summaries is their post Whitfield Funkadelic fueled hit (Standin On) Shaky Ground

15. JohnnyQuest

Something that has always made me scratch my head is why isn't "Masterpiece" (top 10 hit) considered a major hit or standout song of theirs with Tempts fans?
    (IMO) It's another Whitfield masterpiece but how did it become such a forgotten hit? Also, Do you remember how often it was played on the radio? Any promotion for the single or performances on tv?

To be honest I prefer MG's version of that song. Check it out.

Yes that Biopic is probably my all time favorite mini series/movie based on musicians lives. David is my favorite character in the tempts but my favorite singer is Eddie. His soft angelic voice gives me goosebumps. (Especially on My Imagination) :love:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    melstapler likes this.
  16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Great group.

I will enjoy reading the other comments.

17. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Psychedelic Shack, that's where it's at!

18. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

[QUOTE
    To be honest I prefer MG's version of that song. Check it out.
    [/QUOTE]

totally different
    but i cannot agree , Marvin's version while great, is very bluesy , basic
    The arrangements , the strings , etc on the Temptations version are unique

jbg and JohnnyQuest like this.
  19. peteneatneat

peteneatneat Forum Resident

"Masterpiece" lives up to its name for me. I love the Norman Whitfield era. Some of the greatest soul music ever made.

Herman Schultz and JohnnyQuest like this.
  20. jbg

jbg Senior Member

There are a few Temp's songs that would be tied for first as my favorite. This is one of them.....

Rfreeman, Hep Alien, jmj190 and 2 others like this.
  21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Love them. The best group on Motown (ok, maybe tied with the Miracles). Blessed to have Ruffin and Kendricks in the same group.

I can never decide if I like the early Smokey written era or the later Whitfield era best. You don't get better than My Girl and Cloud Nine in pop music do you, perfection.

22. Agree - another great overlooked one from the other end of their career is the terrific early Smokey Robinson-written and produced "I Want a Love I Can See", featuring Paul Williams on lead. Love the studio segment on this in the biopic as well.

23. JohnnyQuest

I agree. :)

24. JohnnyQuest

25. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

The Temps had David Ruffin...the greatest soul singer of all time (and who is one of the greatest frontmen of all time)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.