The Terror: Limited Series (AMC)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GodShifter, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Did you notice Dickens’ cameo in “The Terror”?;) Enjoy your books! :)

EVOLVIST likes this.
  2. [​IMG] [​IMG]

EVOLVIST and GodShifter like this.
  3. Yes, I did! Charlie gets around :cool:

GodShifter likes this.
  4. Is that Boogie Nights I see on the shelf?

Mazzy likes this.
  5. Yup

6. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Probably finish this tonight, up to episode 8 and I'm really enjoying this so far. I knew nothing about the events and have avoided the info on wiki, as i don't want to know too much about the facts.

Personally the spirit thingy seems unnecessary there's enough terror without it.

7. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

Agreed but when you look at the spirit has symbolic of a force trying to keep whitey out, it makes sense. It will make more sense when you see what happens next...

Pastafarian likes this.
  8. It’s better integrated in the book IMhO.

9. Pastafarian

One episode left and the spirit thingy is turning something which could be fantastic in to very good.

I believe this comes from the book but it sounds like the script writers had the great idea "How do we entice in those who've been desperately waiting for 'Predator v The Victorian Explorers' ".

Perhaps but I'll be surprised if the last episode justifies it's presence.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  10. Pastafarian

No we didn't need it, are the pages of the book blood splattered?

I can't see how it added anything that wasn't pretty obvious from the events and if you wanted to explore that, why not more about the effect of us in their land there was about 20 seconds of dialogue which could have been expanded upon by greater contact and actually seeing the effects on the indigenous people.

Shame it could have been much better than really good.

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I've watched the first two episodes and enjoyed it, without spoiling anything just curious if the pacing is fairly similar or does it pick up?

12. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I doesn't stay the same...

GodShifter and hvbias like this.
  13. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

No, it becomes a different show as being trapped on a dark ship becomes central to the show. Then, once they leave, being essentially all alone in a barren iceland becomes the key element. I would have enjoyed another episode or so of the ship when it was an actual functioning vessel of discovery. "Happier times." :)

GodShifter and hvbias like this.
  14. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Well... take the beast away and give me more of the ship survival stuff...

kanakaris and GodShifter like this.
  15. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Looking forward to Season 2 on August 20. It’s going to be half in Japanese subtitles.

GodShifter and EVOLVIST like this.
  16. Wow. I had no idea there was going to be a Season 2 until now.

I see that it's totally unrelated to the first season. This is a good thing, considering that the first season wrapped up well.

Im intrigued. It could turn out well if they turn down the CGI.

17. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Years ago, I read In the Kingdom of Ice, by Hampton Sides. He is a terrific author. I first acquaintance with his work was Blood and Thunder . . ., which tells the story of Kit Carson and westward expansion. My mother gave me "Carson" for a middle name, and on my mother's side were family with Carson as their last name (some lived in San Angelo, others in Big Spring). I've never tried to confirm it genealogically, but my mother told me that we were distantly related to Kit Carson.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. GodShifter

Hampton Sides is a terrific writer. I’ve read all his works. “In the Kingdom of Ice” was my favorite but both “Hellhound on His Trail” and “Blood and Thunder” were quite enjoyable. “Ghost Soldiers” was good, too.

wayneklein and townsend like this.
  19. GodShifter

Totally down for this. I would have been pissed if it was a continuation of the first season, but something else unrelated is completely welcome.

noname74 and Brenald79 like this.
  20. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

It now appears it is returning August 12.

21. I enjoyed Drood quite a bit. It's a pity about Simmons accident. It's really put him behind on his latest novel and he was really disabled for a long period of time unable to write.

22. This will be original unless they are adapting a Simmons book I haven't read. Interesting that they chose to go on. I would think they would choose one of his horror novels like Carrion Comfort.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

A little birdie told me this season is great. That’s all I can say. It was filmed near me.

24. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Latest news on the real HMCS terror:

Divers describe the ship as perfectly preserved including the Captain's desk locked which they think might contain documents. They have a note saying the ship was abandoned on purpose.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/terror-wreck-exploration-franklin-expedition-mystery-1.5252023

"... if there are charts or meticulously recorded logs of what might have transpired aboard the reinforced wooden warship in the mid-19th century — it could go a considerable way toward unravelling the mystery surrounding the ill-fated polar mission."

Brenald79 and xdawg like this.
  25. GodShifter

I’ve watched three episodes of “Infamy” and it’s better than I thought. I’m definitely going to stick with it.

Brenald79 and Rufus McDufus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.