The The (Matt Johnson) all purpose discussion: remasters, new music, tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Jun 8, 2003.

1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Are there any fans of The The out there besides me? I really love Soul Mining, Mind Bomb, and Dusk. I've got the original cds, but how are the remasters? Are they worth getting??

2. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

What, does that mean that you don't like Infected!

3. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I've got Mind Bomb & Dusk. Bomb is a nice improvement over the original, but Dusk has no revelations. In fact, it is far more compressed, with such quiet passages as the opening of "Lung Shadows" reproduced far too loudly. From what I've heard, the others are improvements as well. IIRC, the remastering engineer also mastered Dusk (only) originally.

Mark

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

One of my favorite 80's groups.

Uncertain Smile is just a masterpiece of a song.

Get the cd collection called "45 RPM: The Singles" right away!

5. audio

:thumbsup:

6. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

Absolutely. I really got into The The when Johnny Marr (being a huge Smiths fan) joined and then went back and discovered the back catalog. Not a huge fan of "Burning Blue Soul," but "Soul Mining" is definitely a classic along with "Mind Bomb" and "Infected." I also really liked the "Hanky Panky" disc that was done back in '95.

I never picked up the latest one, but I did hear the singles and thought what I heard was alright. I agree with JohnG's suggestion on the Singles collection, a must have, especially with the bonus disc of 12" remixes.

ejluther likes this.
  7. audio

Re: Re: The The

Woah, I didn't know it had a bonus disc! That rules!

8. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I love Infected and Soul Mining. I didn't even know that they were remastered.

fortherecord likes this.
  9. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

i'm a big fan of matt johnson and his the the work
    and of course love johnny marr as well.
    have all the original lps and cds.
    i passed on all those remasters.
    didn't see the point to remaster the catalogue. :confused:

10. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

From those of us who have digital cable and satellite, I've noticed that The The gets quite a bit of play on the New Wave Music Choice channel (814 on DirecTV). Once in awhile, you can catch a The The video on VH1 Classic, especially during "We Are The 80's."

11. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

I grabbed the Mind Bomb remaster. I really enjoyed it.....not that the original was bad, but the remaster pulls a lot of fun things forward in the mix. Actually, I have to assume this was slightly remixed??? Great album.

12. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

"slightly remixed" :confused:

a remix is a remix. :laugh:

let's hope it's not true!

13. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I actually saw them. They were great! I guess it was in the Eighties. The opening act was a band that we had only just started hearing very recently. They were the worst act I had ever seen in my life. I said after the show that their instruments should have been confiscated, burned and the ashes buried. I said that they should be prohibited from singing "Happy Birthday" at kids birthday parties. They were that bad. They were called The Cranberries.
    Peace
    Norm

Greenalishi, QQQ and homeslice like this.
  14. mjb

mjb Senior Member

Re: Re: Re: The The

The bonus disc was only included in the original pressing, but it shouldn't be too hard to locate this version at retail.

A nice way to pick up a bunch of these remasters is the "London Town" box set, which includes remastered versions of Soul Mining, Infected, Mind Bomb, Dusk and a bonus disc "featuring a 30 minute late night mix of TheThe's musical history by Ian Peel - 'In The A.M.' It also includes a short film of Matt being interviewed by Johnny Marr about TheThe's long and eventful history." (from thethe.com)

Greenalishi likes this.
  15. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

I must admit that I love my original copy of "Infected" on CD - it still sounds great IMHO...also have "Soul Mining" with a bonus track. I haven't bothered with the remasters.

"Infected" and the supporting full length video, were very much of their time...wonder if it will ever see a DVD release?

16. RDK

RDK Active Member

I haven't listened to The The in in a a long long time time. ;)

It's a group i can take or leave, but i agree that "Uncertain Smile" is an absolute delight.

17. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

These guys were a Jeopardy question once under the category "The".
    Nobody got it.
    'cept me of course
    :)
    Norm

Greenalishi and Paully like this.
  18. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

That reminds me: I've often wondered, when alphabetizing your collection, does The The go under "The" or "The"?:confused: :confused:

Thinking of things like that give me a headache...:rolleyes:

homeslice and Paully like this.
  19. gjkendall

gjkendall Forum Resident

One of my favourite groups has to be The The, all their/his albums have been top notch. The trouble with him being a favourite is that I want new material, something that Matt Johnson does not do at a quick rate, it's only been 10 YEARS SINCE THE LAST ALBUM!!!!!:realmad:

Any other fans about? I was wondering how well received the London Town boxset was on this forum...

The 45rpm best of mentions a 45rpm Volume 2...what happened to that?

I also read ages ago that another boxset like London Town was being prepared...again nothing!

I understand he has done a Soundtrack to some movie called 'Tony'...surely this will get a cd release?

I have no idea about waveforms etc, but would love The The fans to come out and share their thoughts and experiences about possibly one of the most under-rated musicians the UK has produced!

20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, thanks to M&M's, here in America, he received a healthy pay-check, and millions of Americans heard "This Is The Day", probably for the FIRST TIME!!!
    Today is my birthday, and I make it a special point to play "Uncertain Smile"; one of my favorite songs OF ALL TIME..... PERIOD!

JeffMo and BwanaBob like this.
  21. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

good news... i also see "soul mining" as a classic... the other albums are a bit uneven to me...

22. gjkendall

gjkendall Forum Resident

I read on Wiki that the M&M advert has probably given him more exposure than he ever has in the US....

Uncertain Smile is a fantastic tune...a good choice!

I have also just read that Hanky Panky was supposed to be the first of a series of cover albums...again, nothing materialised!

How frustrating!:shake:

23. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

Glad someone started a thread on this artist, its impossible to search for "The The" in here anyway, but I love this material. The 45s double is a great place to start for anyone curious and I loved the first album I bought "Soul Mining" with the bonus 12" single that came with it of "Perfect", which was on the cd at one time, but has since been removed as Matt didnt intend it for the album.

of course the US cassette album adds bonus extended remixes:

* "I've Been Waiting for Tomorrow (All of My Life) (Special Mix)", after "Uncertain Smile" at the end of side A
    * "This Is The Day (12" Version)", after "Perfect" at the end of side B

which was in heavy rotation in my Walkman during my college commutes

The 12" mix of "Uncertain Smile" is maybe the best remix of all time!

Dark, majestic material and I've always been surprised so few seem to mention this act.

ramdom and JeffMo like this.
  24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, lot's of people got screwed signing with NOTHING. Apparently, there was a COIL album that was never released, and Jack Dangers of Meat Beat Manifesto had to take 'em to court!

25. gjkendall

gjkendall Forum Resident

I guess that is why Johnson/The The are now on his own label called Lazarus...not sure the label has released anything though!