The Todd Rundgren thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mogens, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

how could I forget that??!
    Another great one that sounds like crap.

2. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

AWATS, S/A and Todd are must-have albums for me. To this day I still listen to them each a couple times a year, it's been 34-5 years or so that I've been listening to them and they have never lost their lustre. I also like Runt, Ballad and Faithful. Hermit is good, and so is Tortured Artist, but to me they lack the punch of his prog-type stuff like Todd. Didn't listen to Acapella though. I was psyched for Nearly Human and got it on the day of release, but after a couple listens I was done.

The albums True Star, S/A and Todd are right up there in my favorite top 10 albums of all time. Just amazing stuff, esp. the 1st side of AWATS and the last side of S/A.

3. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

The original songs side of Faithful is excellent, some of his best IMO; it's just a shame the covers are such a waste of time.

Stencil, JDeanB and toddfan like this.
  4. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

^^Masterpiece

yarbles likes this.
  5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

In addition to what has already been mentioned:
    Hermit Of Mink Hollow
    A Cappella
    Nazz
    Nazz Nazz
    Utopia
    (the 3 sided album)

boboquisp likes this.
  6. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Flawless!

Rufus rag likes this.
  7. toddfan

toddfan Forum Resident

Try whistling this:

[​IMG]

Seems like the OP is leaning towards the more progressive stuff...I see this one as a bit toward the progressive pop side of things. I love the interplay between keys and guitar on the title cut.

If you like the more pop side of things, try this one:
    [​IMG]

8. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

My college roommate freshman year (Ohio U, September 1978) turned me on to Todd, as I wasn't really familiar with him at that time other than "Hello It's Me".

Got my first exposure to Something/Anything (great album) and "Wizard/True Star" at that time, and then later "Adventures In Utopia" which I still love...

Similar to how I feel about Bowie, I haven't loved everything Todd has done, but I like a lot of it, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for his vast talents.

Also love the production work he did on Grand Funk Railroad's "We're An American Band"...

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  9. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Wha????????????????
    Well, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a cheap vinyl version of this. Get to it. :thumbsup:

Funny, I just played Utopia for the first time in... can't even remember. I like it.
    Just picked up Oblivion on vinyl and like that as well. (first ever listen)

10. BarryChicago

BarryChicago A Flower

Just giving an overview of what albums I have and listened to so far -

TR: Everything through Faithful
    Utopia: Everything through Adventures In Utopia
    Nazz: Nothing yet...

11. ralphb

Nazz Nazz is essential listening in my opinion, peak early Todd.

Mr. LP Collector and toddfan like this.
  12. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I just brought home an original vinyl copy of Faithful last weekend and loved it. Side 2, the all originals side is just fantastic. The covers are no slouches, either, but the album would have risen to classic status had it contained all originals of the same quality as those on Side 2. Love his cover of The Beatles' Rain, though.

13. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

keep going. you'll probably hear most people praising the early stuff but there is gold further along if you are a fan

my top ten todd solo albums in no particular order

individualist
    liars
    healing
    initiation
    AWATS
    no world order (gotta give it some time to sink into you though)
    todd
    second wind
    Global (really grown on me a lot past few weeks maybe won't stay though)
    ever popular tortured artist effect

as for utopia I probably like their last four albums more than any but the very first one.

Chris DeVoe and Terrapin Station like this.
  14. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Bought the Bearsville box awhile ago and I’m just finally delving into it. I’ve only listened to ATATS and Something/Anything so far. I like both albums but had a major issue with the SQ on Wizard.

15. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

My 10 fave Todd albums (not in any order):

Hermit of Mink Hollow
    Healing
    Todd
    AWATS
    S/A
    Runt
    Ballad of TR
    Todd
    Nearly Human
    Initiation

My favorite Utopia albums are RA, Deface the Music, and their self-titled 1982 LP. I also love Nazz Nazz.

Terrapin Station likes this.
  16. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Oblivion is Utopia's secret best album. :love:

gojikranz and toddfan like this.
  17. toddfan

toddfan Forum Resident

It was 1969...Nazz Nazz was my very first exposure to anything "Todd"....my friend and I used to skip lunches, and use the money to buy a record that week. We were flipping through LP's at the local K-Mart and saw the Nazz Nazz cover....we thought they looked like another cool English band. o_O So, based solely upon a "cool" cover, I bought the LP. When the first chords of "Forget All About It" came forth from our meager stereo speakers, i just KNEW I was gonna love the album....little did I know that I was listening for the first time to my all-time-favorite musical hero.

trumpet sounds and ralphb like this.
  18. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Sod Runtwistle is a brilliant songwriter/producer/guitarist and ought to be an international household name.

That he isn't is presumably down to his own choice.

toddfan likes this.
  19. ralphb

One of the all time great opening tracks.

boboquisp likes this.
  20. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

Does anyone have a recording of Todd's 1982 New York concert performance with Ian Hunter, Paul Butterfield and John Cale? Would like to hear it

21. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

"I May Be Wrong, but I'm Not Wrong Long!" When I heard that on my only FM station around May of '69, I thought--WHOA--Just bought their first lp a month earlier, basically because "Hello It's Me" finally dropped off the charts. And what a great lp THAT one was! Best song on that lp is "Open My Eyes" which just happens to be the flip side of the 45 of "Hello It's Me.":righton:

A band that had such a good start but just didn't go further, for whatever reason. But the good news is that Rundgren has carried on for the last half century with great, great music! My favorite Todd lp?? It changes from week to week (which actually is a good thing) is his 1976 lp Faithful. Great versions of some of the 60's classic rock tunes!:cheers:

It's time to have Todd be recognized as Rock and Roll HOF material! Past time actually.

22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Liars is one of my all time favorite albums by anyone, and as I have said previously, quite possibly the best album ever created by any artist in their 4th decade of recording. Todd goes wherever his muse takes him, but his gift for melody has never deserted him.

23. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

He deserves it, but he's gone out of his way to disparage the Hall, and in 2017 when delivering the Commencement Address for the Berklee School of Music paraphrased LBJ that "If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve."

24. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

+1

edenofflowers likes this.
  25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

There is no artist as prolific and diverse as Todd about whom I can say I enjoy everything they have done.

Of course the only artist I can think of who is as prolific and diverse is Zappa. And I do probably enjoy over 95% of his output, but there are exceptions. Often use my editing software to enhance my enjoyment of FZ pieces as I could do without some of the musings of piano people, out of tune passages, and bursts of musique concrete. And Francesco Zappa and some of the more obscene works fail to delight me.

Neil Young comes close in the prolific and diverse categoty, but only bats about .700

Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.