The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DLant, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff Thread Starter

There's a lot of bickering going on in the "NBC discussing Leno's exit(Fallon gets the job)" thread, so I decided to start this new thread to discuss, purely, Jimmy's venture into the 11:35pm time slot on NBC. This is also a perfect launching pad, since last night was the first episode.

Pictures, videos, lively (yet civil) discussion is more than welcome!
    Go!

image.jpg

2. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

The difference now is, I ACTUALLY want to watch the Tonight Show again.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not really sure why Jimmy felt he had to introduce himself, as if no one knew who he is, and explain what a monologue is, as if no one had ever seen a talk show before. Though I thought it was funny that he then started the show over again.

I was also surprised that he and Will Smith admitted that they had redone the hip hop dancing sketch a few times. It's never acknowledged that they reshoot anything on talk shows.

The presentation of the U2 performance was fantastic and couldn't have been a better demonstration of why Jimmy was right to stay in New York.

Paul Saldana, OldSoul and DLant like this.
  4. So, for those of us who missed it: how was it overall? More or less the same as his late night show or somewhat more conventional?

5. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

It was 'Late Night', more or less.

6. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

I thought it was ok. Wil Smith not my idea of a fantastic guest, but others might think so. U2 was great but that would have been the case whether it was on the Tonight Show or Late Night. The procession of celebrity cameos was amusing, if not clever, but ran on just a bit too long. Didn't think the dance sketch was funny at all....nor really his monologue. Jimmy is great at the impersonations and spoofs, but you can't make an entire show and career of that. The band sounded good, but was there a theme song? I think he's got a way to go before it's a sustainable mix for 11::30/10:30. I know it's only one show so far.

7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I think he was directly addressing the Leno viewers who might have checked the new "Tonight" out once, and then never again if he/she didn't like Fallon. I thought it was a smart move -- although I'm not sure explaining the monologue was necessary!

OldSoul likes this.
  8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

One critic said it was like he was introducing himself to his new girlfriend's parents.

I just kind of find it hard to believe there are that many people watching who have never once watched Jimmy's previous show. It's part of that pretense you and I disagree on that this is the Jay Leno show with a new host instead of Jimmy Fallon doing his show an hour earlier.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    Paul Saldana likes this.
  9. Kitlope

Kitlope Forum Resident

You know your getting old when you remember Carson and him leaving in May of 1992 for Leno and now him retiring for Fallon in Feb 2014.

And FWIW, I just turned 40 last week :)

And I think Fallon will be great on Late Night.

Drifter likes this.
  10. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

11. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I enjoyed it. He may have trouble winning over conservative middle America but he who knows. I'll be watching.

Evan L and DLant like this.
  12. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

I really enjoyed the show. Don't see why the NBC couldn't have adjusted the Olympics coverage to allow it to start at the typical time as this probably cost them viewers.
    While Jimmy was a bit stiff, we should give him some time to adjust. Also there's a bit too much Hip Hop for my liking but I guess it's something I'll have to accept.

13. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

No, I don't think it's the "Jay Leno Show" with a new host ... it's "The Tonight Show" with a new host -- and, after seeing how Conan (allegedly) turned off older viewers in 2009, I don't think it will hurt Jimmy to be a little over-courteous for the older "Tonight" fans who may or may not want to watch this new guy.

14. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I see Jimmy Fallon as a fellow music junkie/fan, he's funny, and relatable. What's not to like?

MrRom92, goodiesguy, Chris C and 3 others like this.
  15. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

What I liked about Will Smith was that he wasn't there because he was pushing something - a new movie, new album, or something. He was simply there because that's who Fallon wanted on his first show.

U2's two musical performances were pretty good too, though they're obviously pushing product at the same time, which is more normal for the guests on the late night talk shows.

AKA and OldSoul like this.
  16. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

I didn't watch it but I like him. Then again, I didn't really dislike Jay Leno, Letterman or anyone else on late night talk shows. ABC gave him a real good review on their website. I hate that he's on opposite Kimmel as I really like them both.

17. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

That's great, but what are your thoughts about Fallon on The Tonight Show?

18. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff Thread Starter

image.jpg

AKA likes this.
  19. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

about_higgins-thumb-278x397-14248.jpg steve allen.jpg For those of us from another era……Doesn't Fallon's announcer Steve Higgins look like Steve Allen.

Keith V, goodiesguy, LSP2003 and 9 others like this.
  20. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

If one views the spectrum as sort of from "zany" (such as a comedian like Adam Sandler and the like) to "cool" like Johnny Carson, I'd prefer "cool". At that hour I don't want zany. I haven't watched Fallon a lot, but he strikes me as someone who can do both cool and zany extremely well, switching between them as appropriate. (Carson could do the same but Fallon can't do "cool" like Carson could!.) I like him and will be watching the show frequently for a change. I grew tired of Leno 15 years ago.

rburly, Evan L and junk like this.
  21. *cough*Fever Pitch*cough* ;)

Red Sox != Arsenal :p

ampmods likes this.
  22. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Guess I'm old then!:winkgrin: I'll check the guest list for musicians or guests, and I'll watch only that. Have no interest in late night anymore.

23. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I stopped watching after Carson left because NOBODY could approach him. Leno...sorry, just didn't find him funny. Letterman - too arrogant and smug for my taste. Again....Johnny had the "it" factor.

EdgardV and rburly like this.
  24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I remember. I had just moved in to this apartment. :agree:
    55 here.
    Also remember Dave's first night, 02/02/82.

25. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I remember Dave's daytime show for NBC, I loved it. I think that's when my family knew I was crazy...

Bill, forthlin and JerolW like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.