The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DLant, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Two intelligent, formidable individuals conversing in the best possible way on a talk show. Either would make a great host. Well... one already was.

This is how it should be, folks.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

This.

3. Couldn't stand Leno, but used to really like Fallon's Late Night - but he's gone steadily downhill on The Tonight Show.

Seth Meyers is the go-to in our household these days.

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

colbert for me, fallon gets worse and worse with every day.

anyone know what the ratings are like for the 3 of them now?

5. I've only been getting back into Colbert just recently (after some disappointment with the first couple months of his new show). I used to watch the old Colbert Report religiously, but felt his transition to CBS just didn't hold enough of the 'snark' factor for me.

A couple months ago, I would have half-heartedly semi-defended Fallon, but I've thrown in the towel. Our DVR can only record two channels at the same time, and with something else airing at Midnight that I like to grab every night -- the only 11:35 (eastern) comedy show I record now is Colbert (I've completely given up on Fallon).

Which is sad, because I really liked Fallon's old Late Night show, a LOT. But his Tonight Show is just a pale imitation, at best. You can literally feel how it tries to play to the very lowest common denominator. Multi-generational references (for no flippin' reason whatsoever), and a general style that seems to borrow from Leno's shtick -- uugh, count me out.

Seth Meyers is still my favorite, though. Snark you can cut with a knife, and a really smart kind of goofiness, that really works for me (and my wife too -- Meyers is her favorite too).

6. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just last night, for the 1st time in a long time, I watched Fallon's show. I saw that Scarlett Johansson was on so I gave it a shot. I couldn't hang for more than 2- 3 minutes. It was painful. Johnny must be rollin' over in his grave!

alexpop likes this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

My wife watched Fallon talk to Morgan Freeman last week. Last straw. She'll never watch him again,.
    She's a Seth devotee

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Since late January, Colbert has been leading in total viewers, while Fallon remains ahead in the 18-49 demo. Kimmel is consistently third in both categories. The most recent ratings I could find (March 13-17) are as follows:
    Colbert: 3.18 million viewers, .54 share in the 18-49
    Fallon: 3.08 million viewers, .75 share
    Kimmel: 2.35 million viewers, .49 share

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

thanks.....and i am hopeful that kimmel passes up fallon and fallon falls into the obscurity of hollywood ala arsenio hall (wishful thinking, i know)

10. Never gonna happen, I know -- but I wish Fallon could go back to his old Late Night days. Honestly, it's almost painful to watch now.

What is it about moving up an hour, that just sucks all the life and laughs out of late night hosts? Everything seems forced, and I guess they're forced to try and appeal to a MUCH broader audience.

Biting snark and genuine sarcasm seem all but completely absent from Jimmy's Tonight Show. Hell, I thought Conan did a MUCH better job transitioning to the Tonight Show (than Fallon has). My wife and I loved Conan's Tonight Show, and were sorry to see it go.

We loved Fallon (on Late Night) too, at the same time -- best of both words, we thought at the time. Then Leno came back (uugh!!), and finally left -- and whatever we really liked about Fallon seemed to drift away when he moved up an hour.

Thank goodness for Seth Meyers, who we watch (via DVR days after the fact) fairly religiously.

11. alexpop

Fallon " can you recommend a blues artist"
    Freeman " any blues will do"
    Fallon, with pen & pad waiting down "any blues".

12. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Too bad there is not a giant Gong on Fallon's show everytime he screws up..
    Kevin James would hit it which would be a lot..

OldSoul likes this.
  13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

14. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

WOW!!! it took long enough for America to wake up to his horrible interviews.
    Now maybe we have a chance for the rest of America too wake up to the garbage happening in this country
    One can only hope.

15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Has anyone else noticed that the ring finger he almost lost is essentially useless? He seems more subdued since he's been back. He seems more tentative than before too. I'm sure he'll ride the gravy train until something happens, eg. poor ratings (see above) or something else.

16. alexpop

Liam Gallagher graced his presence last night.

17. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Plennnnty of other acts/hosts doing that right now, daily, non-stop.

Jimmy's the other guy.

Jeff

18. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Given what happened to Conan, I wonder whether this will lead to NBC executives deliberating whether to replace him. The Tonight Show is a big cash cow.

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I heard there's an opening on a morning talk show somewhere. Hey Jimmy.................

20. Avenging Robot

If not there, there’s another opening at CBS.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Oh God, can you imagine him at that table with those two trying to have a serious broadcast and him bouncing off walls like a hyperactive spider monkey? It's like a SNL skit.

22. Avenging Robot

Listening to them report a tragic event while he tries to impersonate Bono asking for money.

kouzie and eddiel like this.
  23. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I'd rather see him wrap up an interview with the Dalai Lama while they segue into a Snack Pack pudding cup juggling contest.

24. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I would think Lorne Michaels would come into this mix.

25. Avenging Robot

That didn’t help Norm Macdonald.

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.