The Truly Essential Johnny Cash....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ed Bishop, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here Thread Starter

I've been thinking for some time about how to distill Johnny Cash's music into a concise collection that touches just enough bases to give a fair overview of his career. I've yet to find a collection that satisfies me fully, so I made up one of my own. Feel free to offer your own lists, or tracks you might add or subtract. He was a great one, with an extensive catalog with big hits, some misses, and because of sheer volume, songs lost save to the most dedicated fans.

This is my basic essentials list for J.R. Cash:

1. Folsom Prison Blues : original Sun version, the first of several excursions into society's ultimate losers: those who, by their own acts, lost their freedom.

2. I Walk The Line: Or, yield not to temptation. First crossover hit, lean, to the point.

3. Get Rhythm: Well, of course!

4. Give My Love To Rose: My mother's favorite Cash song; guess what her name is?

5. Guess Things Happen That Way: Sadness and pragmatism, in equal measure.

6. Don't Take Your Guns To Town: First Columbia crossover hit, a cautionary western tale. Minimal, stark, dooomy.

7. I Still Miss Someone: "Still" being the operate word. B-side of "Don't Take Your Guns To Town," now a C&W standard, but at the time, couldn't even chart!

8.. Five Feet High And Rising: On the road to hell, Johnny shouts, knowing he saw it all coming.

9. Tennessee Flat-Top Box: not exactly autobiographical, but it sure seems like it now. Johnny's daughter Rosanne, did a great(and best-selling)version in the '80s, and she could be singing about her father, or Garth Brooks.

10. Where Were You(When They Cruciified My Lord): gospel had always been a key component in Cash's music; this is probably the best known Lp cut from that catalog, though "Daddy Sang Bass" was the hit(and not nearly as good).

11. Ring Of Fire: With brass that could have been arranged by Alpert & the TJB, lives up to its title: it scorches! Among the most famous and oft-played of his recordings.

12. Understand Your Man: resentment and rage, held in check. Johnny never threatened; he just made a statement, take it or leave it.

13. It Ain't Me, Babe(with June Carter): Dylan must have been impressed a guy of Johnny's stature tackled this one.

14. The Ballad Of Ira Hayes: Dylan's influence obvious here.

15. Jackson(with June Carter): Hotter than a pepper sprout, but Johnny & June's fire never went out. We can still feel it now....

16. Folsom Prison Blues: 1968, this time with a captive audience...

17. San Quentin: Still captive, but almost in a frenzy; Johnny repeats the song, just to keep 'em happy....

18. Sunday Morning Coming Down: Channeling Kristofferson, Johnny was born to sing this song; he'd lived it enough times.

19. Man In Black: cementing a persona....

20. Any Old Wind That Blows: Nothing like being alive....

21. Chattanooga City Limit Sign: Forgotten 1982 B-side, but has some insights into the man himself.

22. Highwayman: with Waylon, Willie & Kris. What more can you say about a meeting of greats?

23. Delia's Gone: remake of a song he tackled several times for Columbia in the early '60s. When Johnny appeared on Letterman, both the host and the audience laughed in places; they'd never heard Cash sing such a perversely dark murder ballad. But it's a song that runs deep.

24. Hurt: The last hurrah, and a video to match. If he had to go out, no better way than with this instant classic.

ED:cool:

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Ed: I think that works, but to be truly representative, you probably should stick "Boy Named Sue" in there, although musically it pales with the others.

3. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

No 'Ballad Of A Teenage Queen'? That is essential I think....

Bob:)

4. Ed Bishop

It's fun, but not representative of his overall work; a funny tossoff, really. Came close to putting it in, but then, there were a lot of C&W hits left out, too. "One Day At A Time" is another novelty number some might include; I can live without "Sue" as much as I enjoy it.

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

great selections, Ed. You put a lot of thought into it. Why did you not choose Rusty Cage ? It is pretty representative of his more reecnt albums.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It's probably too recent to have proper perspective in relationship to the rest of his work, but I think "Drive On" from "American Recordings" is pretty chill inducing, and up there with some of his best tracks..

Regards,

7. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Agreed. This is a hell of a selection that you put together. Paging Legacy.......

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

He just flat out rocks on that song....LOVE IT!

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The man had something like 53 top ten country singles, 13 of those were #1s, and the chart hits aren't even the whole story. It's really hard to narrow it down. BTW, of the #1s, Ed included eight of them. The one's missing were:
    • There You Go
    • Ballad Of A Teenage Queen
    • A Boy Named Sue
    • Flesh And Blood
    • One Piece At A Time
    Regards,

10. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

ones I also think no Cash collection is complete without:
    Big River
    Run Softly Blue River
    That's Enough
    Daddy Sang Bass
    The 2 cd Essential collection covers the bases pretty well, but of course you can't distill such a monumental career to just 2 lousy cds..

11. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

September When It Comes, his duet with daughter Roseanne from her recent Rules of Travel album. This song is so poignant that I don't think I could get through listening to it today without shedding a tear.

12. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I think the cover of "One More Ride" on the Fabulous album is one of his best recordings.

Another essential is the live version of Cocaine Blues from the Folsom Prison album.

A Boy Named Sue is a deeper song than it's given credit for...

13. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

In addition to Ed's great list I'd add "Thing Called Love" and the already mentioned "Boy Named Sue"

...more of a comedy song, but I also like Johnny's version of "25 minutes to Go"

RIP Man in Black - like no other....

14. Ed Bishop

With those damnable vocal overdubs? Only if I could use the underdub, and I hope there's one on my Bear Family box...for me, those female bk's kill that song. Nope, never went nuts for that one, Bob. To saccharine for me...

15. Ed Bishop

"Rusty Cage" and "Drive On"--the latter was the flip of the "Delia's Gone" 45(or was it the other way around?)--were contenders....I was thinking of making the perfect 1-CDR comp....I'm not sure there's room for those 24 yet, haven't attempted to do it...but if there were room, one or the other would make the cut..."Thanks A Lot" from the Sun days was another I brooded over, "Busted" less so, but still....the choices!

What a great legend and man, huh?

16. Matt

Matt New Member

My faves:
    Hey Porter - First big single for Sun, I think, but I just love it, I have to hear everytime I ride a train. Basically a really good train song, an absolute, pure joy.
    I Walk The Line - His first great love song, and probably the most perfect record he made at Sun. Amazing how much mileage he got from the boom-chick-boom-chick formula, and this is a great example of why. Eloquent lyrics, subtle yet deep expression, his phrasing on this record is just amazing. Again, just goes to show you how much more less can be. I was surprised to hear it this morning on the radio. I didn't catch why they played it, but an hour later, I found out he was gone.
    Big River - There's some TV footage of him playing this song in the 50's, and it's one of my favorites. You can tell Johnny's having a hell of a lot of sun (at one point, I think he yells 'Suey!'). I just love how he phrases "St. Paul, Minnesota."
    Ballad of a Teenage Queen - I think his final recordings at Sun were very erratic, partially due to subpar songs (the best were saved for Columbia), but mainly due to overdone production. However, this is a great exception, a great country-pop record. Something kind of mushy and sentimental about the story, but it doesn't come across that way when you hear it because everything just clicks. Even the back-up singers complement the song perfectly.
    Ring Of Fire - Everybody loves this song. It's just that good.
    Jackson - I love just about everything Johnny sang with June, and I love how June tears it up on this song. The harmonies are great, especially the end, when Johnny's baritone just lays it out on the lower registers while June hums sweetly above it.
    The Legend Of John Henry - Johnny's a great storyteller, and this is another favorite. Seven minutes long, but it never bores me.
    Daddy Sang Bass - The best 'gospel' number he ever recorded. One of the few he cut that is actually euphoric in its religious fervor.
    Folsom Prison Blues (at Folsom Prison) - The whole album's great, his best, I think.
    If I Were A Carpenter - A beautiful love song between June and Johnny, this is probably the most perfect expression of their love for one another ever put on record. It can get real gushy and irritating when couples do love-dovey projects together, but June and Johnny always pulled it off. It's never in your face, and this song's just a beautiful, solemn love song to one another.
    What Is Truth - Politically active, but in a way that transcends politics. A song all about hearing one out instead of shouting them down, another reason why I looked up to Johnny.
    Highway Patrolman - Nebraska's one of my all-time favorites, and Johnny's take of this song is, in some ways, better than Bruce's. He wouldn't cover material this good again until American Recordings.
    Delia's Gone - Really disturbing song. I love it!
    The Beast In Me - Another disturbing one, but this time, it's one based more in anguish than psychosis.
    Hurt - One of the best epitaphs anybody's ever recorded. It may be better than Hank, Sr.'s

I know his body was failing him, but it's still so sad. Man, I miss him. Rest in peace, John R. Cash.

17. Great selection Ed. :thumbsup: Have you timed it? Do I need 2 CD-Rs?

I'd like to add "Long Black Veil" to your list and "Girl Of The North Country" as a bonus track.

18. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Texas 1947

Legend of John Henry

19. Larry Naramore

What Is Truth?

20. Ed Bishop

Before I'm done, it'll probably be a 2-CDR set....nope, haven't timed it....I'll try this weekend to get it done and see what happens....

"What Is Truth?" was another close call, and the more I think about it, the more it bugs me it isn't there...ah well, it ain't carved in stone, anyway, but close. Can't dump any of the Original 24....

21. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

I have quite a Johnny Cash collection, but today I chose to focus my listening on the American Recordings and also 'Rockabily Blues' and 'Johnny 99'.

You know, when thinking of the many covers Johnny has done, the man truly knew a thousand songs.

When I listen to Johnny sing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" or "The First Ever I Saw Your Face", I feel like I am listenening to a man who knew these songs from the heart even if his renditions did not match the wonderfulness of the original recordings.

One song that stood out for me from 'Johnny 99' is "Joshua Gone Barbados".

I guess what I'm saying is is that no compilation can ever do justice do the man's catalog, a catalog rich in small wonders and treasures that will serve to bring some light into anyone who chooses to do the search.

Someone said Johnny is now a member of the greatest band in the sky.

I think Johnny is up there rattling some cages, standing alone and upright.

The Man In Black is now in Heaven.

22. Larry Naramore

Are All The Children In - another great gospel song.

23. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Gotta Have "Luther played the Boogie Woogie"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.