The Two Towers extended version

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GregM, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregM

GregM The expanding man Thread Starter

Who else is waiting for this release? The wait is almost over. I enjoyed the bonus scenes on the extended version of Fellowship of the Ring so much that I skipped the regular DVD release of Two Towers, holding out for this version. Can't wait to see the deleted scenes for the first time--more than 40 minutes of new footage! I find the scenes stick to the book more--at least in the extended version of Fellowship. I'm pretty sure tuesday's release will follow suit. Should be great.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I had the 4 DVD set...Disliked it so much, I sold it:) If I see the next chapter, It'll be a rental. The choice of leading characters was weak.
    I was expecting more, as I loved the books:)

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'm looking foward to it. Best Buy/Circuit City are advertising it for $24.99. That seems like such a steal. I don't know how anyone is making money offering so much stuff and packaging for so little. I don't think it would be hard to justify double the price.

4. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The extended version of FOTR is one of my all time favorite movie. Beautifully done & one of the best surround mixes I've ever heard. I too skipped the 2 disc version of the Two Towers to wait for this one. A guy at Blockbuster said they have them in now but I couldn't talk him into selling one to me today. I have to get this & the next one cause I've got the bookends from the gift set that would look kinda stupid if I didn't get all three of the extended ones. BTW, I love the books too & I think Peter Jackson has done a great job on this series.

5. GregM

Michael, I think I can relate to what you're saying. Seeing and hearing such characters as Frodo and Sam with faces and voices that are not what you imagined from reading the book can be jarring. However, I don't think any of the cast is weak and in the case of Gandalf and Aragorn and several others, the casting is very strong. The first time I saw LotR in the theater I was very much put off by Wood as Frodo, but I was blown away by the scope and attention to detail--the cinematography. So blown away that I was compelled to buy the DVD. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed LOTR more and more with each subsequent viewing, which compelled me to buy the box.

I believe once you take that leap and accept the cast you can start viewing them as the characters in the books. This will not be possible for some but keep trying. The rewards are worthwhile. You are transported into the story and what a great story it is!

6. GabeG

GabeG New Member

It's just as good if not better than the extended fotr discs. The bad part is I've had this set over two weeks and still haven't gotten through the movie! I need to devote a day to this because trying to watch it after work doesn't cut it.

7. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I ordered mine from amazon, hopefully I'll get it by the end of the week. 25 dollars for four DVDs! Amazon is the cheapest price I've found online.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If anyone's interested, my review went up today:

Here it is!

9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Great review, Colin! I'm envious of people that can write well.

10. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I am very interested in the extended 40 minutes of movie but Im not sure about the other three discs of stuff. So for me $25.00 is a good price for four discs but not for one. I will still get it though and see what the bonus stuff is all about. I didn't buy the 2 disc set because I wanted the extra 40 minutes. I didn't get the 4 disc set of "FotR" since I had the 2 disc.

11. GregM

Hey thanks. More scenes fleshing out Faramir and the Ents would be great. Can't wait to see this.

I can understand a reviewer getting a copy early, but how did you get yours two weeks ago, Gabe? The extended version isn't for sale until tomorrow.

12. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Great review, Colin, and your stamina is truly impressive, both as a writer and as a viewer. I particularly admire your even-handed comments that state your opinions quite explicitly without a whiff of condescension or a single cheap shot. Well done!

And I can't wait to get this set.:D

13. GregM

Wow. Just saw this last night and it was incredible. I don't see how they got away with leaving out some of that material in the theater version of the movie. It is really essential to the story.

14. Gardo

I've only seen about an hour so far but I agree that the new material adds to the movie in every way. The only weak moment I saw was Elijah Wood's line reading of "good Elvish rope," but everything else lends so much majesty, detail, and epic momentum to the narrative that it must have been extraordinarily difficult for Jackson to decide what to cut. I do understand why he had to cut it for the theatres, though, and so far I think he made good decisions, if the cuts had to be made.

15. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Nice review. Thanks for posting. I picked it up yesterday at Target for $24.99. A steal for this quality of DVD, IMO. I can't wait to see all the added footage, and hear the new mix!

16. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I'm a LOTR newbie...would anyone say that getting the extended versions would be the way to go? Four discs for one film borders on the ridiculous IMHO, but if it's the only way to get an uncut version, and it's still $24.99 (yes, I was amazed at Targét myself), it's worth it.

And to verify, the first film also has an extended version?

17. Oatsdad

I think the extended versions are superior. It's not a radical difference, but they seem a bit meatier and better explained. I'd definitely recommend them.

One correction, though: you shouldn't regard the EEs as "uncut" and the theatrical versions as "cut". That makes it sound like the latter were censored or forced on Peter Jackson. Both are perfectly viable versions, and IIRC, I think Jackson might even prefer one or the other theatrical editions. The EEs are more gifts to the fans than unedited examples of the director's true vision...

Yup, as will the third. Here's my review of "Fellowship":

And thanks to all who left nice comments about my "Two Towers" review - I appreciate it!

18. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Not having read the books (although I've read similar stories), I think I'd prefer to see the extended versions. Sometimes those extra minutes and explanations makes all the difference.

19. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I like both extended versions so much I'm tempted to not see "Return of the King" until the extended version comes out. Notice I said tempted. It won't happen.

20. Gardo

LOL!:laugh: I know just how you feel.

21. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

I know this is a bit of a thread cap, the extended versions are being released to @ 99 theaters starting with 'Fellowship of the Riing' on December 5th and 'The Two Towers' on December 12th with the 'Return of the King' opening on December 17th.
    On December 16th at select theaters all 3 parts will be shown. These shows have been sold out since the day they went on sale.
    You can check 'The Lord of the Rings' web site for a listing of the theaters that are showing the extended versions.
    I know I am planning on going even though I have to travel an hour to the Loews at Pallasades Center in Nyack, NY.

22. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

I actually did that with this one. I'm looking forward to my copy arriving in the mail. These extended versions are great.

23. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

The third film will be my first trip to a movie theater in two years.
    I can't wait
    Enjoy
    Norm

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Keep in mind that the version of "Return of the King" that will be showing after the extended versions of the first two films is going to be the theatrical cut. The long version of RotK has not been assembled yet.

I personally think that The Two Towers, even moreso than Fellowship of the Ring, makes a lot more sense and plays a lot better in the long version. There are certain scenes that I could take or leave (such as Aragorn revealing his age) and others that really help the film (such as most of the Faramir stuff). The added scenes with Faramir really clarifiy his character and the significance of the choices he makes, which is still different than the book, but much more understandable. Also, you can't go wrong with more Ents. :)

Regards,

25. Oatsdad

I'm not! Each successive DVD release has made me more interested in the series. I never read any of the books and only went to see "Fellowship" theatrically because of the glowing reviews. It didn't do much for me there, but I warmed up to it with the two DVD sets.

I was more eager to see "Towers" in the theaters, though my reaction to it was also somewhat lukewarm. I've come to like it better as well, and after plodding through the 4-DVD set last week, I'm now REALLY excited about the third film. I've even decided to read the books, which is very rare for me. No, I don't mean it's rare for me to read, but I almost never read fiction - I watch so many DVDs (about 350 a year) that if I'm going to sit down with a book, I want it to be something different than what I see all the time.

Gonna wait until after I see "King" to start the books, though I guess I'd be safe to check out the first one beforehand - I just don't want to spoil the movie-going experience with any foreknowledge...

I don't know if you meant to say "thread crap" - never heard of a "thread cap" - but you definitely didn't crap here. A crap occurs if you come in and attack the subject at hand inappropriately. For example, if you'd written "F the DVDs - 'Lord of the Rings' sucks!!!" then that'd be a thread crap. Your post was perfectly acceptable and appropriate...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.