The UFO album by album thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimmy Agates, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old school

old school Senior Member

$ign of 4's Dancing With St. Peter I just purchased and after one listen nothing grabbed me! What are other people's take on this album? Is it one of those albums you need many listens before it takes hold?

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I plan to review that within the next day or so. It's a good album, in my opinion.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  3. old school

old school Senior Member

Thanks I will give it a few more spins. This is my first foray into UFO offshoots! I will be anticipating your review Jason. By the way this UFO thread is very good and UFO are one of my top 70s band. As far as into the 80s and beyond I'm a novice so this thread should help me. To be honest after Schenker left so did I so I have some catching up to do and what is good and what is not.

Jimmy Agates and GodShifter like this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, it's all here in terms of opinions of what is good and what isn't in terms of the Chapman years and beyond. If you want a Chapman record to start with I'd suggest The Wild, The Willing and the Innocent. It's one of my favorite UFO records with or without Schenker. But I feel you, the 70's era Schenker stuff has an aura about it that's hard to beat.

5. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Echo Big J's stance on the vibe that I'm sure a veteran of the Rainbow Mk2 concert years hardly needs reminding of (at how bloody great said epoch was!)

In a random moment of '71-73 revisited I just fed the CD with original, silvery spinner released versions of albums containing 'Salisbury,' 'The Last Days Of May' and 'Dream On.'

I'd better track on a year and fire up 'Rock Bottom.'

Aura - and then some. :cheers: Hail, brothers.

6. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

...time to move onto the Vinnie Moore era yet? ...and I bet you guys thought we would never get there!!!

7. Jimmy Agates

Just a little appertiser...

Carserguev likes this.
  8. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I just listened to Force It for the first time in about 30 years --- great, great record.

9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yup, time for some Vinnie Moore era comments!

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  10. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

I dig the first two albums, but I have to be in a very particular mood to listen to them, especially UFO II. Obviously, they became a totally different band starting with Phenomenon, which, if I had to choose, would be my favorite studio album of theirs (I'd put Strangers in the Night above all of their official releases).

The first two albums kinda give me that vibe of the first Scorpions album with Michael Schenker, which bears little resemblance to the direction that band ultimately settled into. Funny how Schenker joined UFO and, instead of sounding like Lonesome Crow II, we got Phenomenon...

11. old school

old school Senior Member

I agree UFO first two albums I really like. Mick Bolton could play and there style of music was like so many English bands of the time. Not Space rock but early hard Psych Blues with Boogie.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  12. kuad

kuad Forum Resident

I wonder why Schenker kept switching sides on stage. From (looking at stage) right to left to right again.

London '77 he is on the left and then for Strangers in the Night he goes back to right side.

13. Bedo

Bedo New Member

some great reviews from ufo fans here!

"Serenade", I love this song though...

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  14. Jimmy Agates

Ok well seems no one wants to delve into the Vinnie Moore era which is a pity as the band still has a lot to offer and with news of their 5th album with him in the band being release next February I'm gonna take it upon myself to continue on :)

YOU ARE HERE (2004)

[​IMG]

LINE UP:
    Phil Mogg / Vocals
    Vinnie Moore / Guitars
    Pete Way / Bass
    Paul Raymond / Keyboards
    Jason Bonham / Drums

From the opening notes of "When Daylight Goes To Town" right through to the closing track "Swallow" what we have here is a very solid UFO album which
    although not having the magic of the Schenker heyday is a considerable improvement over the Covenant and Sharks albums that Schenker was involved with.
    I recall that the album was recieved enthusiastically by fans and critics at the time of release and both Moore and Bonham seemed to inject a renewed fire into the band. Listening to the album again recently I still think it holds up as a very good album - perhaps a little workman like in its approach but there really is barely a dud track amongst those on offer. You could say "no filler - no killer" too as there really isn't quite anything here that matches the "classics" of yesteryear.
    For my money Black Cold Coffee, Wild One, Jello Man and The Wild One remain my favorite tracks on a satisfying release.
    I was finally able get to Europe to see the band live for the first time on this tour and they were great and a super bunch of guys as well. Who says you should never meet your idols???!!!

As a UFO nutter this one gets 8.5 from me.

P.s. The Japanese bonus track "Messing Up The Bed" is well worth tracking down too - great track :)

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Good review. I have the Japanese release as well.

At the time of release I liked the album a lot and agree on it being wayyy better than either of those two last Schenker UFOs you named.

Going back to the album over the years I haven't liked it as much as when it first came out, which is weird. Not sure what I would rate it out of 10 these days. I thought the next couple albums with Vinnie were not as strong, but I really like the latest one a lot. I need to respin all of them though....

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  16. ThePostElectroGranger

ThePostElectroGranger Forum Resident

hahaa I get it

John Fell and Jimmy Agates like this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

LOL, I didn't get it until I saw your post!

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  18. Electric Phase

Electric Phase Forum Resident

Like the album a lot - interesting have Phil's vocal style has changed since start of Vinnie era.

Betweenthewalls and Jimmy Agates like this.
  19. Jimmy Agates

Wow it's amazing how little interest there is in the Vinnie Moore era here. I'm off to reaquaint myself with the Monkey Puzzle next which I really really enjoyed when it came out and still rank as the best VM era release.

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'm still with ya Jimmy; looking fwd to reading your review.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  21. Trillmeister

Don't worry and apologies for docility in support, Jimmy, I'm certainly hugely interested in this, in the same way I am when it comes to other classic bands' later outpourings and appreciate your torch bearing of this majestic legacy.

The problem in my case is finding sufficient time to really suck the marrow from such releases because ultimately, they're up against thirty years' familiarity with the original albums.

{Aside: Also, I was indirectly a tad hard on the recent Accept releases. I gave Stalingrad a concentrated listen and whilst my concerns o'er 'modern' production values remains, it musically hits a very high mark and is definitely fit to sit alongside the earliest records.}

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  22. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I don't think Eroc would agree. I remember when he commented on the remastering of the first 2 UFO albums and his opinion was pretty harsh on their sound and style. I do like the first two, but do prefer the Schenker era band and albums. My son even likes the first two UFO releases.

23. Jimmy Agates

Speaking of the first albums for some odd reason (you could call it an obsessive addiction!!) I nabbed this off Ebay the other day...not sure why since I already have the more common version on mini-lp....
    [​IMG]

Trillmeister likes this.
  24. Jimmy Agates

In regards to my insanity of buying the above mentioned cd I must say I feel a lot better about it after I saw a recent facebook post of Pete Ways where he put up a picture of one guys collection who had at least 17 copies alone of No Place To Run....surely that's gotta be certifiable behaviour!?!?!?!?

25. Trillmeister

10/10 for commitment!

Speaking of Obsession, whacked on my original vinyl (not in what you'd call A1 condition) and submitted to side 1.

To those who dismiss UFO as 'so-so...' (Especially coming after Led Zeppelin III.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.