The UFO album by album thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jimmy Agates, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Onto the second Vinnie Moore era album The Monkey Puzzle...

I find this album somewhat more laid back/relaxed and not as perhaps forced or trying to impress as YAH seemed to be at times. The return of Andy Parker is most welcome and I think Vinnies playing is more "traditional" UFO sounding overall.

Standout tracks for me are Who's Fooling Who on which Moore pulls off some great Schenker-like chops and Raymond's keyboards fit like a glove to really enhance the track, also Black And Blue which follows - a thumping old school rocker with a slight Who rip off on the intro but a great track nonetheless.

The closing track Kingston Town is another favourite as is the ballad Drink Too Much - one of the bands best since Profession Of Violence in my opinion.

Probably the only tracks that I don't rate highly are World Cruise and Down By The River which are not bad by any stretch but pretty average by UFO stnadards.

I think that with the return of Andy Parker and Vinnie Moore bringing in newly written tunes (as opposed to some stuff on YAH being recycled solo material) UFO had reached a comfortable place finally and whereas for some bands this breeds complacency for UFO it fired their creative juices.

So for me this is a very solid 9/10 and while it maybe not the best starting point for latter day UFO for me it hit the spot and continues to do so 8 years later :)

slipkid, Carserguev and Trillmeister like this.
  2. Jimmy Agates

3. Jimmy Agates

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I got You Are Here and was unimpressed; both with his playing and Mogg's uninspired lyrics.

5. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

That's the Metalmania edition from Japan. I love the dynamics on this particular issue. Sell you mini cd-lp version. You won't need it anymore.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Listening to The Monkey Puzzle while walking this morning it struck me that this is an album that is very bluesy in terms of its presentation. I agree about UFO being in a more relaxed/laid back atmosphere, but it also strikes me that this is the first time Moore was truly able to write with Mogg in a collaborative sense after being part of the band for a period of years. Moore surprises me in how blues based his approach is (after all, he's one of the first wave of the neoclassical shredders, releasing Mind's Eye in 1986). Yet, here there is no technical shredding going on, no neo-classical influences whatsoever. It's just hard blues rock, really.

One of the things that really made UFO distinctive was Michael Schenker's playing. While being blues based himself, he was also able to take a classical side of guitar playing and make it transcendent. His playing is unmistakeable when you hear it and very unique. Other players have tried to copy it in various line-ups of UFO after him and were only vaguely successful at it. He's a hard guy to fill the shoes of. I think probably Jeff Kollman from the Mogg/Way incarnation of the band has come the closest to it. I have no doubt that Moore was selected because he's a great player and, quite frankly, probably needed the gig, but I don't feel like he was a great choice for the guitar slot. Yet, I bet he got it because a) as I said, he's a good player and b) he does have some name recognition to him which I think the band felt they needed.

7. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Schenker is unbelievably good and so distinctive, there's no doubting that.

The problem of replacement for any band when someone so iconic leaves is insoluble.

As I type, Jimmy recommendation ('Who's Fooling Who?') strums hither and to be fair, it's perfectly serviceable stuff but it's never going to recapture the seminal cat-o'-nine-tails that was '74-77, perpetually known to fans and forever serving to tear strips off the newer material and any hapless pretender to that era's banjo antics.

Seeing the famous surname on skins for You Are Here brought to mind the notion of Black Country Communion and the whole Glenn Hughes 'journeyman' concept which seems to characterise the careers of so many giants of the classic eras: 'concept bands' almost jamming with anyone who doesn't happen to be working at that time and whatever their individual credentials, throwing any permutation of Hard Rock Soup's ingredients together cannot always ensure magic.

So many albums in the last twenty years are merely 'OK' rather than sensational and this could be because the lightning strike typified by a 1st epoch, Schenker-led UFO is/was that original smorgasbord of virginal, prickled nape.

Without deviating too far off topic, I thought this last night as I blasted out 'Neon Knights' then 'Heaven And Hell' from the 2007 Dio Years 'Sabbath compendium; yes, these tracks have been remastered to joy on this particular CD which always helps but honestly, the sheer drama and intensity of virtuoso smiting at hand kinda lays waste to so much alternative, music, period, the effect can (with sufficient amp abuse) still render me quite emotional.

Ditto 'Rock Bottom,' or maybe 'Lookin' Out For No. 1.' You simply have to judge these things in context and the overused term ('classic') is often just that for very good reason.

Maybe the solution is to simply copy Jimmy's lead and acquire every version of albums from the golden period, on every format, from every territory on the planet and revel in that 4 [or in my case, 7 year period?] :uhhuh: :righton: (Rather than being a fair weather amateur and being content with a measly 2-3 versions of each record? ;))

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Well not a knock against Schenker, but I think We Belong to the Night is probably their finest song next to Lights Out, and Michael was long gone at that point.

Jimmy Agates and Carserguev like this.
  9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Long Gone is a cracking track as well :D

Jimmy Agates and Curveboy like this.
  10. Trillmeister

A damn good shout; a romping brawl of a song, that one; I wouldn't go so far as to place it in the highest echelons of their repertoire but it possesses an infectious energy that's hard to deny.

Furthermore, given that my No.1 UFO album is another Tonka one, I'll grant ye that the band's zenith and Schenkerdom ain't mutually exclusive.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Curveboy and Jimmy Agates like this.
  11. Jimmy Agates

...looks like it's time for The Visitor. I'll be reappraising it over the week and have a review up soon.

Gonna try and wrap this up in time for the new UFO opus "A Conspiracy Of Stars" due out March 23

[​IMG]

GodShifter likes this.
  12. Bedo

Bedo New Member

:cheers: well Jimmy, I had little more difficulties with that one
    but the song is nice!

my top UFO albums
    Lights Out
    Obsession
    Phenomenon
    Making Contact
    Mechanix
    Misdemeanor
    Ufo 2
    Chocolate Box
    Covenant
    You Are Here

13. Bedo

Bedo New Member

and some thoughts on Moore... my first impressions were quite the same, but the guy is able to sound great on heavy 'slots'
    check a few... Mr Freeze, Heavenly Body, Stranger in Town, Wonderland...
    bring more such numbers to an album and you get it! plus insert some stuff like guitar 'slides' on the Other Men's Wives :winkgrin:

so I'm very anticipating the new album,

February 23 :cheers:

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  14. Shatnershairpiece

Shatnershairpiece New Member

I just listened to Schenker's latest temple of rock album. What has happened to his soloing? Not one memorable solo in the entire album. There are some good songs but even Schenker admits he is always about solos. Very disappointing. It's been like this for years. What is more amazing is that reviews are quite good for the album but no one mentions the lame solos.

The last Ms album I can remember that had decent solos was walk on water in 93. His solo quality has dropped considerably since the late 90's. It also has to do with him switching guitar brands and lousy production. He seems like he doesn't care anymore. What happened to the days of 1984 albums like 'built to destroy', (incredibly, badly reviewed at the time) where every solo was a memorable masterpiece of melodic construction? To me, his peak is from 1974 to 1984, with some nods to late 80's albums like 'perfect timing'. I am a major Schenker fan and gre up learning almost all his solos so it's very disappointing to see him keep churning out these run of the mill albums for the last 20 years.

15. Jimmy Agates

According to Pete Way there is a live cd featuring Larry Willis (Pink Faries/Motorhead) who was in the band for a brief period on the drawing board however what they need is some decent quality photo's from this period. If anyone has any then get in touch with the band via their official site and you might even get a thank you in the liner notes for your trouble!!!

16. Trillmeister

Jimmy, any thoughts on the new record?

I had a few opportune minutes earlier today and picked it up on CD from a record store (along with an absurdly cheap S. Gur mastered edition of Down To Earth [still rather magnificent, despite Ronnie's chagrin] and whilst gawping in disbelief at the extortionate sticker prices upon myriad vinyl re-releases: is the acetate compound, these days, laced with traces of precious stone, or something?)

First impressions are it sounds a damn sight better on the system than the snippets of Satanweb-published leaks, had suggested.

Tsangarides appears to have captured Andy Parker's drum kit nicely and for some reason, Phil the Mogg seems clearer than on 'Seven Deadly...'

VM also seems to be more restrained; still twiddly but twiddle-lite, perhaps and more expressive, creative.

Currently bathing in that honeymoon period which often serenades your first (few) listen(s) to a fave band's latest offering so it'll be interesting to see if it gathers dust the way some of the ('non-classic') output has. Quite enjoying 'Devil's In The Detail' which seems infused with certain, critical UFO signatures and melodic conduction. No, not 'quite enjoying;' really enjoying! :thumbsup:

progmog, Carserguev and Jimmy Agates like this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

My 2 cents is that the new album is great. I like it even more than the last one (which I also thought was great).

Makes the last 2 Schenker albums sound even more awful. Not one decent song on the Schenkers for my tastes whereas the UFOs have some real good ones. Just subjected myself to the new Schenker again today - for the last time. Will never spin it again, I hate it. Damn, wish Michael would get a decent singer/songwriting companion.

Carserguev and Jimmy Agates like this.
  18. Jimmy Agates

I'm enjoying the new one a lot. Yes they'll never reach the classic standards of those 70's/early 80's gems but I think each new album has enough to keep me happy. I do believe that the last 2 have been an improvement on The Visitor which was a bit tame by comparison.

I'm not one of those people who thinks if Schenker returned they'd be pulling out classic tunes left right and centre. Like most bands of their vintage their finest days are past so you just have to take each album as it comes and appreciate it for what it is at that exact point in time.

I like the band as they are and am glad they're still putting out quality releases on a regular basis.

Carserguev, slipkid and Trillmeister like this.
  19. michiganman45

michiganman45 Forum Resident

Hey Jimmy - I joined this forum primarily to thank you for starting this thread. I recently stumbled across it and love reading everyone's take on the UFO catalog... they are one of my all-time favorite bands.

I really like "A Conspiracy Of Stars"... I'll write a song-by-song review here soon.

20. Jimmy Agates

Clearly you have great taste!! Looking forward to your thoughts on the new cd.

The thread sort of stalled maybe we both need to revive it with some reveiws of The Visitor, Seven Deadly and the new one :)

21. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Just chiming in to say I also did a fair amount of reading of this thread and got a terrific amount of insight from everyone who wrote. I was fully unfamiliar with UFO aside from the name and recalling a few album covers, and had so little to contribute that I declined to even bump the thread. As someone else has done so I'll take this opportunity to thank all for their fine analysis and writing. You guys are what make this place worthwhile.
    :cheers:

22. michiganman45

michiganman45 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

OK, my first review in this thread will be "The Visitor", released in 2009. I have to
    confess upfront that my favorite guitarist on the planet is Michael Schenker, but I like
    Vinnie Moore a lot (and his style meshes nicely with UFO's). I actually met Vinnie once
    at a small guitar lecture (about 25 years ago) and asked him a couple questions... a very
    humble and pleasant guy!

I'm pretty sure this is the first UFO album without Pete Way. He's vastly underrated...
    not just as a bassist but a songwriter and bandmember. I like all of his side projects
    that I've heard (especially "The Plot")... I wish he would've followed through with
    Fastway... that could've been a huge band.

Back to "The Visitor", track-by-track:

1 - Saving Me: interesting steel guitar intro. After all these years (decades) I still
    love Phil Mogg's voice. Nice mid-tempo rocker with a cool riff. The chorus is pretty
    catchy. This is where they really miss Pete... he really seemed to have an ear for
    strong hooks. The solo is short, sweet and fits the song/band. A solid 8/10 to start
    things off.

2 - On The Waterfront: another mid-tempo rocker that swings. Nice riff and I like the
    chord progression in the pre-chorus. The chorus is the weakest part of the song... not a
    good thing. Instead of taking the song to a higher place it somehow takes a step back.
    More tasty guitar work from Vinnie... his lead tone is almost as awesome as Schenker's.
    7/10

3 - Hell Driver: probably my favorite song on the album (judging from previous listens).
    Crunching rhythm guitar, cool lyrics. Finally a song where the chorus elevates the song!
    These guys can still play/sing/rock. Interesting prechorus. Moore's lead work is
    consistently interesting... and more melodic than almost all guitarists not named
    Schenker :) The energy level is very high from start to finish. 10/10

4 - Stop Breaking Down: the progression reminds me of 1980's rock songs... not bad but
    not as interesting as the first three songs. The lyrics (by Mogg) are really good.
    Pretty strong chorus and the guitar solo... well, Vinnie is Vinnie :) The song does
    have a unique atmosphere. 7/10 (extra point added for the chorus).

5 - Rock Ready: at first I thought we were in for a Bad Company cover :) More slide
    steel guitar... sets up a nice groove for the verse. Pre-chorus and chorus are both
    strong, catchy. Decent lyrics about life as a rocker (again written by Mogg, something
    he knows a little bit about after 40 years!). Solo is very Schenker-esque. I like that
    the slide steel guitar runs the course of the song, mixing in nicely with the crunch
    rhythm guitar. A well-deserved 9/10.

6 - Living Proof: they slow it down here. Not a ballad but more a funky rock groove.
    Not a typical UFO song but effective. Vinnie's guitar fills are tasty. Chorus is catchy
    , bridge is cool. Hard to pick a favorite guitar solo from this album but this one is in
    the running. 8/10

7 - Can't Buy A Thrill: starts off with a nice guitar solo (something Schenker-era UFO
    did more than a few times). The verse sounds a bit generic, but things pick up during
    the chorus. This song could be on "Walk On Water" which is definitely a complement. The
    solo is moody (fitting the tune well) while still being very technical. They lyrics are
    interesting... Phil was inspired for this album! Another 8/10

8 - Forsaken: sounds like a Stones country-ish ballad (think "Beast Of Burden"). Has
    potential but this genre is not in UFO's wheelhouse. I love many of UFO's prior ballads
    but this one leaves me a bit cold somehow. Short major-scale solo by Moore doesn't save
    the song. 5/10

9 - Villans & Thieves: more uptempo, more interesting than the previous track. Paul
    Raymond wrote this one... lots of guitar (and a bit of Paul's piano). Cool title, lyrics
    and chorus... one of my favorites on the album... well done. 9/10

10 - Stranger In Town - very catchy guitar riff to start things off. Sets the tone for a
    strong verse. Chorus is good, not great. Andy Parker co-wrote this song! The energy
    and atmosphere are both very present here. Another solo that I could see (hear?)
    Schenker playing... very melodic with a great tone. 8/10

11 - Dancing With St. Peter (bonus track): once the song kicks in (after a strange intro)
    it turns out to be a rock ballad. It's ok but I can see why it was left off the album.
    It never builds to something more, like UFO's better ballads do. A standout guitar solo
    helps but can't save the song. 6/10

All in all a solid effort from the boys (minus Pete). Overall I would grade it 8/10... a
    welcome addition to the UFO discography!

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Thanks for writing that. I need to listen to that album again, it never left much of an impression on me & I cannot remember what a single song sounds like :oops:

michiganman45 likes this.
  24. Jimmy Agates

Great review. I really like Stop Breaking Down, Can't Buy A Thrill and Rock Ready but as a whole I feel in retrospect that this is probably the weakest of the albums done with Moore on board. It's just not very UFO sounding overall still I'd give it a solid 7/10.

Interestingly enough this album was well received by fans and critics alike so what would I know!

Dancing With St Peter was a rerecording of a song originally on Mogg's Sign Of 4 cd and I don't feel that the new version is as good as the original to be honest.
    Again I strongly advise anyone who hasn't heard the Sign Of 4 album to track it down if you dig later day UFO and Jeff Kollman is great on guitar throughout.

25. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yep. Think we might have mentioned this before in this thread (or maybe it was another UFO related one, I can't recall). I think $ign of 4 is a better album than any of the Vinnie Moore UFO era ones.

Carserguev and Jimmy Agates like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.