The used bin veterans - CDs you always see

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davebush, Feb 9, 2018.

1. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

Monster, of course!

Magazine cover disks, particular from BBC Music Magazine (classical recordings from Radio 3) and Uncut - the latter usually still sealed.

CDs from two part-work series, one dedicated to specific classical composers, the other Broadway musicals. Also the first CD from the Blues Collection part-work featuring John Lee Hooker, but none of the other in that series.

Boybands - Westlife, Boyzone, Backstreet Boys, but particularly One Direction.

Dido.

Budget label Sinatra compilations of his early Columbia material.

The Thrills So Much For The City. Every time I do a sweep of this town's eight charity shops I always tend to see at least one copy somewhere. Why?

nosliw, Reamonnt and D.B. like this.
  2. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It sold a lot of copies.

Someone was wondering why they don't see a lot of Katy Perry. I think it's because her albums were largely sold as digital downloads or available for streaming. They came a little bit later, when CD sales were falling, particularly with younger listeners.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  3. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Forum Resident

Has anyone done a thread on cds you never see in used bin? Two for me are Cars Panarama and Dire Straits Communique. Have been on the lookout for an early version of Communique for years and it is rare I even see the generic made in US version. Panarama I have only seen because I checked it out from my library network and they had to send it to my library from one 25 miles away.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Never seen Cars Panorama, but Communique Vertigo pre-remastered CD is an easy pickup in tbe UK, unless you want some exotic blue swirl version.

5. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Forum Resident

For some reason I often see Bat For Lashes CDs in charity shops. I wouldn't have thought they'd have been big enough sellers to turn up as often as they seem to. Also, they're really good.

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Recall the name, but I can't say I know any of her music. Her CDs came out at a time when physical sales were declining, so like you, I'm surprised you see so many. I can't recall seeing one. Cat Power is opposite. Her CDs often turn up in charity shops.

Mylene likes this.
  7. nosliw

nosliw Azunyan! にゃーーー!

That's kind of strange to see "Therapy?" and Tanya Donnelly in the list??? Otherwise, great list.

8. nosliw

nosliw Azunyan! にゃーーー!

Far too many copies of albums from Green Day, Blink 182, Linkin Park, Disturbed, Diana Krall, Barbara Streisand, U2, REM, Adele, Prozzak, Len, and many, many more... :shake:

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i remember back in the day when we couldn't give away michael jackson's 'dangerous'...had to have at least 25+ copies.

i see this also happening with adele, everybody bought it and everybody will eventually tire of the whining.

parman and Lewisboogie like this.
  10. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Forum Resident

Where I'm at I see tons of Live In Australia, Sleeping With The Past, and The One as well as those two and The Big Picture. Surprisingly, I next to never see Reg Strikes Back in the used bins though.

Dave S and Lewisboogie like this.
  11. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie Forum Resident

I rarely see either but did find a Panorama Made in Japan a few months ago.

12. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It recall seeing Reg Strikes Back. I'm sure I've seen Live in Australia a few times. Breaking Hearts is none too common.

13. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa Drop kick me Jesus through the goal posts of life

This list tells them not to buy any artist from the 60s or 70s with CDs manufactured before 2000. I wouldnt want to shop at that store

14. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Yes, that is true, but her sales numbers were so gigantic (up until Witness), I believe she highly likely still moved millions of physical CDs.

Katy Perry discography - Wikipedia

Dave S likes this.
  15. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

I might be wrong, but I think what is meant by that criteria is that they should not purchase late-period albums from artists who were popular in the 60s/70s.

Chazzbo13 and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. snowman872

Surprisingly, I don't see too many catalog Elton titles from the 70's. The only exception are his original Greatest Hits comps. I imagine people have replaced them with the more robust recent versions. I wouldn't mind repurchasing the original MCA or DJM versions for the mastering. I had most of them years ago, but made the mistake of selling them on eBay after getting the Remasters.

17. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

It's pretty shocking, but I think the only one I've seen is GYBR.

18. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I have never seen them on cd, I finally managed to get a cheap copy of Communique on vinyl last year.

19. snowman872

What happened to Babs' fans? Are they all dying off? I am astonished how many of her discs are showing up in thrift stores. It's not just limited to 1 or 2 titles. They are getting passed over even at the Goodwill Outlet stores!

20. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Forum Resident

In terms of Elton, the only ones I see anywhere are the ones from Elton John to Here And There and the odd compilation. I never see Empty Sky or anything post-Here And There, aside from those I've mentioned. I sometimes see Peachtree Road too but next to never see any of his more recent releases. I don't think I've ever seen The Captain & The Kid in stores used or new since it came out.

21. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

I'm seeing far more copies than expected even for something that sold as well as it did, particularly as the racks hardly ever contain anything else from that type of group from that era. I suspect the album was given away free at some point in a promotion or other.

22. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

You never see AC/DC or Pink Floyd CDs in thrift shops here. Even The Final Cut never turns up.

klockwerk likes this.
  23. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

The only AC/DC one that I used to see fairly regularly is the soundrack album 'Who Made Who'...
    not in a while, though.

Thought of a couple more that belong on my charity-shops-in-the-UK list...

Ash and Travis... picked up three or four by each of them last time I was across the water.

24. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Yet she can still fill arenas when she wants to. Same with Barry Manilow.
    Beginning to think music collecting is not what "normal" people do :) . 20-30-40 years ago everyone had a record collection. Now I am meeting folks (even some my age ) that own NONE. Gave all their cd/lps away. Topic for another thread possibly.

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Pink Floyd turn up from time to time in my local charity shops. In fact, my first black face Japan for UK Harvest Meddle came from a charity shop. £1 if I remember correctly. Also found a mint 30th anniversary Dark Side of the Moon hybrid SACD for 50p. More recently, a bunch of old pressings turned up at a local RSPCA shop. Nothing of interest, so I left them. They went quickly.