The used bin veterans - CD's you always see

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davebush, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

These are the kind of people I need to run into!

MikeInFla and phillyal1 like this.
  2. detroit muscle

detroit muscle Forum Resident

There is a person at my work in her mid 20's who told me that she has never bought a CD (or other physical media) in her life.

3. PRW94

PRW94 Active Member

I have seen a jillion copies of John Corbett's 2006 country album in the bins in my neck of the woods. It's actually a pleasant listen, nothing that's going to bring down angelic praise from heaven but pretty fair for an amateur.

I still buy ... when I buy CDs, which is rare anymore ... a lot from bargain bins, because I have very esoteric musical tastes.

And I got Monster used, and was glad to do so. I actually like it, and I stop and listen EVERY time I hear "What's The Frequency Kenneth" played, which I know is heresy among some REM fans who think Murmur is the end-all and be-all.

4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Having a large music collection was never what "normal" people do. Having 20 CDs/LPs, mostly greatest hits is what I would call normal. A couple of hundred would considered excessive. Several thousand would be considered abnormal by most people. There are people on this forum with more CDs/LPs than most stores.

phillyal1 and DHamilton like this.
  5. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Growing up, my closest friend and I were the only ones in our extended circle who bought records. By our teen years, he had moved away and several of his new group of friends bought records. Same thing happened with me and other friends I had during high school years but we were never the norm.

6. The Hud

The Hud Seventh Hud of a Seventh Hud

One of the Half Price Books near me has three copies of AC/DC Stiff Upper Lip, including a Japanese CD without Cyberspace. If it had Cyberspace, I would have picked it up months ago.

7. Maestro63

Maestro63 Well-Known Member

Sarah mclachlan

nosliw likes this.
  8. Colocally

Colocally Forum Resident

They died.

9. Colocally

Colocally Forum Resident

I rarely see Pink Floyd although have seen the odd DSOTM and WYWH. A few months ago I found a motherload of good cds in my local Salvation Army. They had Mini Vinyl replicas of LZ 2 and 4, about 4 AC/DC titles, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Coverdale Page, Ozzy Ossbourne among others.

10. The Hud

The Hud Seventh Hud of a Seventh Hud

The Half Price Books near me actually have a solid selection. There is almost always a lot of Zeppelin and AC/DC. Usually a Sabbath title or two as well as solo Ozzy. A few months ago I found a mint condition Coverdale/Page in the clearance section for $2.

It has been fun getting some great albums for so cheap.

11. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Of the many Sheryl Crow CD's I see, "The Globe Sessions" shows up most frequently. Another one I forgot was kd lang's "All You Can Eat". After seeing it so often, I finally bought a copy and now I enjoy it maybe even more than "Ingenue". The AC/DC ones I see are "Who Made Who", "The Razor's Edge" and "Stiff Upper Lip". I also see an assortment of the many Chicago hits comps.

12. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Forum Resident

Ha ha. I've actually picked up a few of her hits collections. Throw Manilow in there as well. I picked up Greatest Hits I for him that also had a Greatest Hits 2 stuck in there with it. For $2, why the heck not. They're both talented.

13. Sun King

Sun King New Member

Always a cd by the Gypsy Kings

14. frimleygreener

frimleygreener Forum Resident

In my neck of the woods (leafy Surrey) one cannot peruse bargain bins without encountering multiple copies of various Moody Blues offerings,and copies of "Sky" (the John Williams vehicle) are oft labeled "we have more copies than next door". I jest,but I bet fellow UK board users will authenticate my claim!

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. Monster demonstrates that IMHO. I think it's in the top tier of REM's '90s work, but it probably got dumped by all the yuppies who bought Out Of Time and Automatic and weren't ready for all the fuzz and rockin' out. :)

anthontherun, Dodoz and PRW94 like this.
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Forum Resident

Yep, you're right! They must have sold vast amounts and not aged well. I like some Moodies.

17. PRW94

PRW94 Active Member

Absolutely ... that's a fantastic album, it's just not "Shiny Happy People" (I'm not dissing that, I started a thread here a while back saying it was a great track that is unfairly maligned) or Andy Kaufman related. I love Buck's guitar grunge on that as much as his jangle elsewhere.

Dodoz and Dudley Morris like this.
  18. Man at C&A

I like Monster too. I loved it when it was released but it took a few plays.

Nothing wrong with Shiny Happy People either. A good pop song that became annoying in the early 90s because it was massively overplayed. Nowadays I enjoy it again. There's some incredible songs on Out of Time. Low, Near Wild Heaven and Country Feedback are my favourites but I like the whole album. Even Radio Song!

phillyal1 and PRW94 like this.
  19. PRW94

PRW94 Active Member

I like Me and Honey ...

The Hud and Man at C&A like this.
  20. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I still can't think of another track that sounds like "King of Comedy".

As I said, I love this album, rocking and hypnotic as well ("I Don't Sleep I Dream," "Bang and Blame", "Let Me In" etc). Quite a mood and I think it has to be listened as a whole to be fully enjoyed.

fantailfan likes this.
  21. Man at C&A

My next fave!

22. PRW94

PRW94 Active Member

23. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Well-Known Member

... and Supergrass.

24. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Those don't belong into a used bin. They should be thrown into a garbage bin (says a huge Stones fan)

25. Marty T

Marty T Forum Resident

"A Date With the Smithereens". Ya couldn't escape this one in the used bins.
    [​IMG]