The used bin veterans - CDs you always see

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davebush, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Bobby Boogaloo

Bobby Boogaloo Heavy on the grease please

In the sequel to 97's Conspiracy Theory (CT2: They're Coming After You), Mel Gibson's character stops and buys REM's Monster every time he sees it in the used bins.

2. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I'd buy it, i've never seen it.

MikeInFla and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa The deputy walks on hard nails

If you do pick up copy of Monster, make sure it has the orange tray inside!

4. The Hud

The Hud No More Mr. Nice Guy

I think the blue tray with orange CD is more desirable.

5. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Forum Resident

There are full crates with more in the back stock room....

6. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Was looking thru some used bins yesterday.
    Monster, Cracked Rear View & Living Under June were all present.

Fullbug, Dynamic Ranger and Bob J like this.
  7. ISellCDs

ISellCDs Member

As a CD browser/buyer/seller/collector/hoarder I've come across so many copies of "A Date With the Smithereens". They're almost always in terrible condition. I wonder if it means something...

Dodoz likes this.
  8. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

On the flip side of that, there must've been an equal or (more likely) larger amount of teens looking for more grunge sounding CDs, who helped vault this album into a multimillion seller. They all saw the "What's the frequency..." video and latched on. The album starts out rockin' pretty hard, but then you get to stuff like "Tongue" and "Let Me In", very non-grunge material. Fast-forward a few years and most of these people who weren't really REM fans anyway make an easy choice. My theory anyway...

Dudley Morris likes this.
  9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The reason why Jann Arden's Living Under June is in the used bins is that millions bought it for "Insensitive" and nothing else and if these same people want the song now, they are downloading with the CDs flooding used bins with no takers even at the low prices. You can get it in print on vinyl on Universal Canada inexpensively though.

10. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Junk.

MYQ1 likes this.
  11. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Not all of these albums are being "dumped" per se. A lot of people are ripping their CDs and donating the physical format. Not everyone cares about the product these days as much as the music itself. Also people just give up on whatever music they listened to as a student and move on. I still have most of my collection dating back to my early teens, but a lot of people don't care, the grow up and move on. So seeing a lot of these albums regular doesn't mean they are bad albums it just means lots of people bought them.

I have got some amazing stuff from thrift stores in the last five years ranging from top tier groups to more niche artists. Can't fault it and long may they donate this stuff.

12. BradOlson

Exactly right. These are the people that you come across and you ask them 'Do you remember this song?" Their response is "OMG, I haven't heard this in years" or "I haven't heard this song before, but I like it."

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Never heard of her.

It appears that "Insensitive" crept in at number 40 in the UK charts.

14. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

This is probably very true but to me, the album is full of quality tracks besides "Insensitive". I guess there are people who only want one song and don't give the other tracks much of a chance. That would certainly point to those who end up streaming or downloading individual tracks only.

15. BradOlson

The song was huge in the US and Canada.

nosliw likes this.
  16. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I see a ton of Manilow "Greatest Hits of the 50's/60's/70's/80's" etc. I was able to get all 4 of them for only $1 (total). His 70's and 80's catalog titles seem pretty rare. About a month ago I picked up his original Greatest Hits album for 75 cents, mostly for nostalgia. It was originally a double LP and pretty pricey in the 70's.

Duke Fame likes this.
  17. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

From the UK:

Scissor Sisters (especially the debut and Ta-Dah!)

Travis – The Man Who or 12 Memories

Cathy Dennis – Move To This

Simple card sleeve CDs of ‘classic’ albums given away with newspapers

Cover-mounted compilation CDs from The Word, Q, Mojo, Uncut etc etc

Lisa Stansfield – Affection or Real Love

PJ & Duncan – CD singles

Rod Stewart – When We Were The New Boys

Spice Girls – Spice, Spiceworld and (especially) Forever

Mel C – Northern Star

Foster & Allen

Covers albums played on panpipes

M People – Elegant Slumming or Fresco

nosliw, Man at C&A and hamicle like this.
  18. Grant

Grant A 60s, 70s & 90s Lovin' Musical Free-Spirit

How about any Billy Joel CD.

19. People seem to be dumping a lot of the Brit pop bands at the moment - I am seeing a lot of Oasis and Blur.

nosliw likes this.
  20. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Forum Resident

Yeah, I just got "52nd Street", "Glass Houses", "The Stranger" and a Japan for US "Nylon Curtain" all in mint condition for $2 each at Goodwill.

Grant and snowman872 like this.
  21. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Similar story here, but I think I got much of his catalog at an auction lot. If memory serves I paid about $8 for 50+ pop/rock discs. 5-6 Joel titles were included - I think the same ones Duke mentions, plus the double Greatest Hits set. I already had Innocent Man from the era when it was released. Innocent Man is the only new Billy Joel disc I ever purchased at retail.

Nowadays, I see Innocent Man the most in used bins followed by River of Dreams.

22. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

There was a Billy Joel box set here with Storm Front, the double Greatest Hits, a live album and an interview disc. Most people kept the hits album and donated the rest.

[​IMG]

23. nosliw

nosliw Azunyan! にゃーーー!

Another thing I see quite often are later Metallica albums from the Black Album to Hardwired to Self-Destruct. Generally, their earlier stuff gets snatched up fairly quickly from my experience.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  24. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

You forgot James Morrison Undiscovered.

25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I never see Billy Joel CDs except for Storm Front, vinyl, however.....