The used bin veterans - CDs you always see

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davebush, Feb 9, 2018.

1. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

To this day I don't really understand how he reached that level. "Garth Mania" was really something while it lasted. Now, he might even struggle to get on "Country" radio at all.

2. snowman872

Wow, don't think I've ever see that disc at a Thrift. I can't even recall seeing it at any store. That would be a keeper! :shh:

hi_watt and Mylene like this.
  3. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Are you kidding? He has his own station. You never heard the Garth Brooks channel?

He is still doing well.

klockwerk likes this.
  4. snowman872

Kidding? Why would you think that? And no I am totally unaware of his station. Is it on Satellite or something? Who gets that? Taking all your toys and playing in the corner by yourself is not exactly doing well IMHO.

Let's consider his singles this decade - 8 1/2 years in. He had 5 of them. One totally flopped and failed to chart in 2013. The rest peaked at #25 (2014), #49 (2014), #29 (2016) and #13 (2017). I rest my case.

5. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I think that says more about the state of current 'country' radio than anything...maybe if Garth was rapping with Nas and FGL he'd be able to get a top 10 hit in today's climate.

D.B. likes this.
  6. snowman872

It is what is it. He's worn out his welcome in Nashville along with George Strait, Alan Jackson, Randy Travis and many others. Personally, I think his glory days are over for good. Recording with rappers would just make him look ridiculous. He's a legacy act only now.

ChazFromCali and phillyal1 like this.
  7. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

5 charted singles, a station named after him, a duet with his wife on the CMA's last year...........that doesn't jibe with your comment that he would have to struggle to get on country radio.

Taking your toys and playing in the corner by yourself? What is that supposed to mean?

D.B. likes this.
  8. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Rather than buying it just yet I’m thinking of waiting for the charity shops to start getting multiple copies of the new Arctic Monkeys album in....

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. snowman872

Get real Bill. Realistically, those four singles, in light of his previous massive success can only be considered commercial failures. It pathetic. Are you a big Garth fan?

dalem5467 likes this.
  10. telepicker97

Who cares? Nashville has always been ridiculously ass-backwards.

Thank God Willie Nelson got the hell off Music Row...

11. telepicker97

Ummm...not in 2018 - Tidal will fake the streaming #s.

12. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

I’m sure some will have picked it up in Tesco or Sainsbury’s when doing the weekly Shop, but I take your point.

13. snowman872

That's fine if you are a legacy act and can continue to tour and still make royalties on a deep catalog. But younger artists can't afford to bite the hand that feeds them. They are the king makers.

And just for the record, I am not a fan of "new county." I rarely listen to any of it. Very little of it appeals to me.

14. snowman872

I don't know Garth personally and have no quarrels with him. I have the majority of his albums. But I'm not a fanboi in denial that he peaked a long time ago and he'll never be on top again. When stars reach staggering heights, there is only one way to go and quite often it's a fast descent and big jolt at the bottom.

ChazFromCali likes this.
  15. telepicker97

You described Garth, Alan Jackson, Randy Travis, and George Strait.

ok, that wasn't news 10 years ago, but thanks for clarifying.

D.B. likes this.
  16. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Forum Resident

Sting is common in the thrift stores but not The Police, at least that's my experience here in the U.S.

Outside of their greatest hits, which I've still only seen a couple of times, I've only been able to find "Ghost in the Machine". Have NEVER seen anything else from them in the thrifts.

17. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

The day I found Ivor Cutler - Dandruff on CD in the Salvation Army was one of the great thrift finds of my career :).
    Now if I could only find the rest of his catalogue -- well, maybe not Life in A Scotch Sitting Room -- that was incomprehensible for me as a Yank.

snowman872 likes this.
  18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I was thinking of used record stores. It's true that charity shops rarely have The Police on any format. Also, the CDs were remastered in the US, which further complicates matters.

snowman872 and Duke Fame like this.
  19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I have to admit to never seeing it. But then again, I haven't been looking.

Mylene likes this.
  20. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think it's becomming more common in charity shops to display spine out because they take up less space in those tall towers. My local store also goes with spine out because the CDs are stored in racks above the records. However, one store has gone for the worse combination: tightly packed CDs with only the top showing. Ok, if they are smooth cases, but a pain for everything else.

21. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

How great threads die

snowman872 likes this.
  22. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

It's always big bands that fell from favor. That's why you are skipping over them. It's interesting how, amongst two popular bands, one becomes collectable, the other ignored.

23. tmsorosk

tmsorosk MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Garth who ?

S. P. Honeybunch and MaxxMaxx4 like this.
  24. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

Tina Turner, Phil Collins, Genesis (We can't dance ), Bryan Adams, REM and Paul McCartney (Off the Ground) are the most offered used CD artists / albums in my hometown.

klockwerk and snowman872 like this.
  25. telepicker97

If only...
    Lots of Ace of Base, Ginuwine, Britney Spears, One Percent and Limp Bizkit 'round these parts...