"The Velvet Underground": Speculative 3rd LP 45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't know, for sure. But the two hours of Matrix recordings on this box are certainly a substantial portion of the overall archive of Matrix material (which is said to be about four hrs total).

I do think the fact that they included "Matrix Highlights" as disc 2 of the 2CD DE tells us they believe the material WILL be a selling point. Otherwise, including the "Lost 4th LP" would have seemed to be the obvious choice, particularly since the bulk of the publicity for the 6CD set seems to focus on that disc.

But I don't think a "Full Matrix Box" is in the cards, but rather a 2CD follow-up. That should be enough to cover most or all of the remaining material. Not necessarily the approach I would have preferred, but ultimate I'm all for whatever gets most/all of this material into our hands.

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone want to wager (figuratively) if the live Matrix "Lisa Says" version on the box will include the "Why Am I So Shy" bridge? There is some reason to believe that was an entirely separate recording that was edited into the Live 1969 track.

3. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

not a betting man, but I wouldn't mind if that turned out to be the case... that bridge is a little goofy for me. Love the purity of the studio cut.

Fullbug likes this.
  4. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Except it sounds like from the point of the bridge onward it seems to be all one track (at least that's how it sounds to me)... so it's almost as though it were two different performances edited together, rather than having the bridge spliced in. Either way though it would be great to solve that mystery. :)

DeeThomaz likes this.
  5. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Very much so, hence my disappointment at there being no live '68 material on this boxset

ralphb likes this.
  6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

+1
    I was really hoping for some La Cave tracks.
    The opening guitar squiggle on "Foggy Notion" appears on the 1969 album constructed for the mono box.

7. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

My take:
    Candy Says - Poignant and hugely sympathetic
    What Goes On- "Let it be good/Do what you should/you know it'll work allright" . Sounds optimistic to me. The Dictators version of this always found the joy inherent in the song.
    Some Kinda Love - "Put jelly on your shoulder, lie down upon the carpet" Nihilism? Sounds like fun to me. You should try it some time.
    Pale Blue Eyes - "it was good what we did yesterday, and I'd surely do it again, the fact the you're married just proves your my best friend" . Sounds optimistic even if the circumstances are suspect. But it's deliberately left unclear as to what's going on and why.
    Jesus - "help me find my proper place, help me in my weakness" if you've ever been an addcit, you know where this comes from. There's hope in there.
    Beginning to see the Light - Surrendering to the the insanity of life and embracing it with love and joy.
    "Wine in the morning and breakfast late at night". Again, you should try it some time.
    I'm Set Free - Being set free to "find a new illusion" at least means you're free to search.

ReadySteady, JimC, botley and 3 others like this.
  8. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Oh, you shouldn't do that. Don't you know you'll stain the carpet?

ReadySteady, botley and ralphb like this.
  9. Moth

Moth fluttering by

New photo up on Amazon:
    [​IMG]

10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Except that the bridge is in Lou's 1971/1972 recorded solo version.

Fullbug and DeeThomaz like this.
  11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'd agree. Fricke's deluded in his analysis. Is he paid to make it sound optimistic? These are songs of forlorn and dashed hopes. A subtle portrait of fragility in light of a (probably pathological) inability to cope with and make the best out of life's ups and downs. After all, the album ends with the subject wanting to lock themselves away.
    'I'd never have to see the day again'

Mind you it's not the misery that Lou inflicted on us with the Berlin album. I mean I enjoy 3rd. The song I'm Set Free is one of the best on it. I also think Beginning is quite optimistic and upbeat in the swinging Cale version, if perhaps a little on the edge of hysteria.

wonky likes this.
  12. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Ralph, there are glimmers of hope in each song, but to me, when you parse them out, you find those glimmers tend to be dimmed in the end. And glimmers of hope does not equal optimism in any event.

There is tons of sympathy--but I find that throughout the VU and Reed oeuvre.

13. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

well, I have some sympathy for the guy -- I mean, how many essays can you write about the same band/album? He's probably done dozens; I'm not sure why new texts need to be written each time. It must be hard to come up with a new angle.

14. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

Surely there are others they might have engaged.

15. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

yeah, but that would have taken some thought.

16. alfredovu

alfredovu Well-Known Member

It is one recording

Dave Simms, DeeThomaz and Fullbug like this.
  17. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Really? It's always sounded like two recordings stitched together to me.
    I don't have it handy to listen to, but I'm sure that as the "Why Am I So Shy" section starts up there is a marked change in the background tape hiss, much like when the "Some Kinda Love" intro cuts to another recording of the actual song.

18. alfredovu

Good memory indeed! The reason is just a little edit on Live1969. Do you hear someting when the song comes back to the "Lisa Says" section at the end?

19. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

No, there only seems to be one edit point, just as "Why am I so shy" starts, but I assumed that the rest of the song, the second half that starts at that point, was all from another performance.
    But you say it's simply a small edit. Do you know why that was done?

20. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I've got Judy the Time Life operator on speed dial. I've consistently said that the 3rd record is their best. It's my favorite, anyway. along with VU.

21. alfredovu

You will "hear" by yourself very soon ...:agree:

Edgard Varese and Dave Simms like this.
  22. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Sloppy transition?

Unwanted noise/interference?

There are any number of possibilities. Dependent on how much the Matrix master was altered, and when, we may or may not find out when the 6CD is released.

23. alfredovu

"Sloppy" is probably too much.

24. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

My point is, we don't know, and may never know.

A less than perfect transition between two very different passages of music can happen to the best of bands.

25. alfredovu

Sorry...not following you... we don´t know what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.