"The Velvet Underground": Speculative 3rd LP 45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. botley

botley Forum Resident

I have the HDtracks 96/24 version of the Valentin mix. Will be fabulous to have it on CD along with 5 (FIVE) discs of bonus alternates. I'm in!

2. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I kind of agree - a thankless task. And how many times do we need a new essay telling us how to think and feel? Can't they just shut up give us the music ?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    cc-- likes this.
  3. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Likely. Producer probably wanted the song to flow better, hence the minor edit heading into the 'Why am I…' section.

Though it would be really interesting if they were two completely different 'Lisa Says's edited together on account of the strength of either 'half''. But, sonically, it sounds like the same performance. Whoever put together the original Matrix reel that got turned into Live 1969 had good taste. It would have been a crime if that 'Lisa Says' had gone unheard. I can barely listen to the studio version because it pales so much in comparison to the live one.

I've always felt Live '69 was as important as any of their studio albums, and generously showed off the Velvets in movie length form. Disc-wise, it constituted 1/3 rd of their discography for a long time. It's a great way to fall in love with the Velvets in a way that perhaps isn't really possible through their other albums.

4. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

Some of Live 69 came from this show from 10/19/69 End of Cole ave. Dallas ,Texas. Here's the set list:
    1- Waiting for my Man *
    2-It's just too Much
    3- I'll be your Mirror
    4-Some Kinda Love *
    5-Femme Fatale *
    6- Begining to see the Light
    7-I'm set free
    8- Afterhours
    9- I'm sticking with you
    10- One of these Day
    11- Pale Blue eyes *
    12- Ocean
    13- What Goes On
    14 - Heroin

Like Lou says on the record -Ok we'll play one long set. * = songs that appear on Live 69

Set 2
    Blue Velvet Jazz Jam 30:13
    Sister Ray 17:47

FYI on Live 69 it says they had 8 hours of live shows.
    cd also includes acoustic versions of these 2 songs; Lisa Says & Rock n Roll

notesfrom and DeeThomaz like this.
  5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

In the case of the 1969 Live "Some Kinda Love," only the intro is from End of Cole Ave. The song itself is from Matrix.

6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

In the spirit of dr zoix's post re: End Of Cole Ave, a look at the sources from LIVE 1969 Volumes 1 & 2:

Tracks in italics are from End of Cole Ave. All others from The Matrix. Tracks in bold also appear on The Velvet Underground Super Deluxe Box

1. Waiting For The Man
    2. Lisa Says
    3. What Goes On
    4. Sweet Jane
    5. We’re Gonna Have A Real Good Time Together
    6. Femme Fatale
    7. New Age
    8. Rock and Roll
    9. Beginning To See The Light
    10. Heroin*
    11. Ocean
    12. Pale Blue Eyes
    13. Heroin
    14. Introduction/ Some Kinda Love
    15. Over You
    16. Sweet Bonnie Brown/It’s Just Too Much
    17. White Light/ White Heat
    18. I Can’t Stand It*
    19. I’ll Be Your Mirror
    *presumed to be from The Matrix, but unconfirmed

Rob Hughes likes this.
  7. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

Listen again, at the end of the song every sound is an exact match

8. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Live '69 has been in my top 10 albums pretty much forever, and that performance of "Lisa Says" is magnificent. :agree:

dino77 and notesfrom like this.
  9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The songs Lisa Says & Rock n Roll and the track Blue Velvet Jazz Jam were them jamming with the roadies after the show. Not really part of the 'set', as such.

10. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

You might be right about Blue Velvet but it's still nice to have

I also recommend getting Symphony of Sound video and/or audio

11. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

It's said that from the band, only - possibly - Moe appears on "Blue Velvet Jazz Jam". Lou certainly doesn't.

Overall I'm disappointed with the track listing. Got the Super Deluxe Banana Album, the 2-disc "WL/WH", but can't imagine buying this set only for the live tracks - it's a shoo-in if they are released separately.

malco49 likes this.
  12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

13. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i have only sprung for the WL/WH so far....feel the same way about self titled deluxe.i already have 4 or 5 copies of the record including peel slowly and live 1969.....if they did release the live stuff would consider.also might pull the trigger on the first deluxe at somepoint.

dino77 likes this.
  14. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Paul Nelson put together 1969 Live.

15. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Nope. This was not part of any set and Untenburger makes this clear in his White Light/White Heat book. It was an off the cuff jam after the club had closed. The dates may not even be the same nor the band members. He suggests there may only be 1 or 2 VU members on those jams.

mr.datsun likes this.
  16. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Also, there's the "End Cole Ave Jam" which appears on 'The First Night' 2CD, but is said to be part of the Blue Velvet Jazz Jam/Lisa Says/Rock and Roll "session". I'm pretty sure I recall the two jams being extracted from 90 minutes worth which circulates on cassette. I'd be fine with the instrumental jams not making it to an official release. Also, I hope they track down (or already have) a new transfer from the master and don't just use the End Cole Ave bootleg 2CD. It does sound nice, but I already have it and it's not complete in that there are cuts between songs and other copies have bits that aren't on the End Cole 2CD boot. I don't need a slightly EQ'd and further edited version of the common boot like we got with Ohio '66.

Also, the "Sister Ray"s from each End Cole set are switched. The 17 minute one on the 2nd night 2CD is actually from the 1st night and the incomplete 13 minute one is really the 2nd night's performance. So says Oliver's site.

mr.datsun likes this.
  17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'd scream with horror from the roof tops of London if those dreadful things were added. I do not see how they could ever be considered as serious additions to the VU's musical history. I'm also sure Lou Reed would never have allowed it.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    ralphb and dino77 like this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

That many? I think he's being generous ;)

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The WL/WH super deluxe I passed on as the only thing unique to it was the mono mixes, the rest of the material is on the 2cd version. The other superdeluxe sets seem to be packed with extra stuff and are well worth it if you're a fan.

20. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

well i think the mono mixes are rather important.i have the sundazed mono box set and also wanted the mono mixes on cd.

ralphb and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Correct, and the whole thing is even more dreary. No Lou, no Sterl, probably no Dougie and possibly some Moe. One of those things that needs to stay a bootleg.

ralphb likes this.
  22. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Well you can buy the downloads for the mono mixes quite cheaply. It just didn't seem as good value as the first album set. I'm still tempted though as I bet the book is lovely.

23. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i just feel the vinyl and cd will sound better.....

24. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

25. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.