"The Velvet Underground": Speculative 3rd LP 45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry Vaughan

Barry Vaughan Active Member

I completely agree (and have direct personal experience to back it up).

2. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

How about a separate thread on the morality of not returning items sent to a customer by mistake and limiting this one to the VU box set?

guidedbyvoices and DeeThomaz like this.
  3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

WWLD? (what would Lou do?)

Hep Alien and Fullbug like this.
  4. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

Good question. It's hard to say, really. Lou might not have noticed the duplicate product. Was he an avid contributor to audio forums?

Now I'm guilty of off-topic remarks. Sorry.

dynamicalories likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Sorry. The correct answer was heroin.

Anyway.....yeah, I'm really looking forward to hearing the new mixes! ;)

6. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

No, but he was apparently a total gear-head. :)

7. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

How do we know that the extra wasn't a gift sent from Sterling & Lou from the aferhours afterlife? Lou would chuck it into a Goodwill bin at first op. Sterling would give it to someone as a gift.

We don't know how much good karma the poster that got the freebie has built up, or how that will be repaid if it's a prepay; the instance of the shared information ('I got a free box!') is privileged information that the person shouldn't be judged with for sharing (imo).

Can't we just enjoy the box?

Fullbug and Daniel Plainview like this.
  8. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

The Super Deluxe is indeed deluxe and super. That's three!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  9. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

That's nothing, my copy of White Light/White Heat arrived with a free Waldo Jeffers.

10. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Punctured or unpunctured? :D

Hep Alien likes this.
  11. rararabbits

rararabbits Forum Resident

Intact, but sadly Amazon forgot the air holes. ;)

Hep Alien and Edgard Varese like this.
  12. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

So I guess he's not thinking outside the box.

Hep Alien and zobalob like this.
  13. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

still does not justify not thinking about your action.......you are stealing......

14. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

The unpunctured edition is worth more, kind of like a second state butcher cover.

Edgard Varese likes this.
  15. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I love my new box set.
    Everything has never sounded better.

The 3rd album (the Valentin mix for me, thank you) is one of the most intense and personal records ever.
    Lou was so great as a songwriter. He could write in every genre and succed. He was fantastic and he had a band with playing styles that were very idiosyncratic.

And maybe credit should finally be given to Doug Yule, with great bass-playing, great vocals and harmonies. He has for all too long been seen as a villain. Doug's vocals and bass-playing are top-notch everywere on this box.

The 1969 sessions are a great revelation. I love the new and vintage mixes all the way. It will never (a bit like The Beach Boys' SMiLE) never be a finished album not matter how one try. Let's instead enjoy these great recordings. They clearly wouldn't have seen the light of the day all of them. 14 songs are too many for an lp. Maybe 10-11 songs. I'm glad to have them all.

The Matrix tapes has blown me away. They were a GREAT live band. Finally (after all these years), I seem to have 'gotten' Sister Ray!

The only thing I find annoying is David Fricke's essay, which looks like something he has written over a weekend in his parlour, or something. It's well-researched, but not very in-depth at all and he tells about the 1969 sessions and Matrix tapes in just to pages. That said, he must have a hard time coming up with something new to tell, anyway.

16. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Cool. Still waiting for my box to come from the UK. Meanwhile, for anyone else jonesing, Spotify now has the 2CD set with some of the Matrix stuff. Listening now.

17. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Is it just me (and yes this may have been addressed somewhere earlier in the thread), but it looks like to me this could have easily been released with only four CDs...(65 tracks, if there were five live Sister Rays, well 6 CDs would make more sense)
    I am a big VU fan, but will probably pass because of the value/cost...

18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The notes do seem kind of like a gloss/fly over. Whatever needs to be known is probably already available in other books, however.

MHP likes this.
  19. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Five would have sufficed (no mono). But it's priceless.

20. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Actually, if he does a hot potato transfer of the unbought goods to someone else, for free as a gift, won't that make things okay? I mean, the longer he holds it, the more guilty under the skies of the universe he becomes. And if the gift recipient has no knowledge whatsoever of the unbought nature of the gift (and, perhaps, couldn't afford it in the first place), then there really is not guilt or shame involved anymore here, the way I see it. It just becomes a case of the Warholesque reproduction that accidentally got reproduced and stuck like glue to the set on top of or under it (if he got two separate shipments of the box, however, he's in big trouble). Such is the life of machines.

21. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I seemed to remember that it felt as if they were talking about their own Sundazed fold-down when they said it was a 'a unique and essential listen' and 'work was done...' I really thought that they had created a mono mix because even if one had existed they no longer had it.

But is there a photo of the mono mix tape in the new booklet? That would be the proof.

"The mono was issued to radio stations upon release..."

And yet, not one copy has ever surfaced. I'm sure the serious collectors on the Velvet forum would know of one. And it remains unlisted on discogs.

But having said all that, I'm not sure I really mind one way or the other about its authenticity any more. I don't especially agree with Sundazed's dubious mono obsessions, but it's the sound that counts and if this one improves on the sound of Reed's mix (which I don't like) then it's a good thing.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  22. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I really think its time to lay your theory to permanent rest -

1. They wouldn't have bothered to replicate an edit for the new release and mix from the multis.

2. If it had been an edit, it would have had to have been a custom job done sometime between 1969 and 1974, trapped in its original mixdown. One that would've been impossible to replicate in 2014 without the sound quality being compromised or it being blatantly obvious (ala the "restored" "heavenly wine & roses" 'Loaded' studio version of "Sweet Jane"). And, as you can hear from the new disc, everything sounds exactly like it did before, except clearer/better.

Set yourself free my son...

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I've never really ventured into the world of the 1969/70 VU live recordings, but I listened to some of the live stuff from this set today. The way they turn "Waiting for My Man" into an out-take from the third album is pretty funny, but not something I'd want to listen to over and over, even though the third album is my favorite VU album.

mr.datsun likes this.
  24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I prefer the Yule era band playing the Yule era material. I cannot listen to them playing anything like Man, WLWH or Sister Ray. I'm afraid that 37 minutes of Sister Ray with Doug Yule's organ isn't something I will ever visit.

Fullbug likes this.
  25. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I love the 3rd album. I'm one of the few people who think that getting Doug Yule in the band was an improvement over John Cale. Should I get this set?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.