"The Velvet Underground": Speculative 3rd LP 45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Agree with that. What they did to "Waiting on My Man" in 1969 was just wrong. And, again, I love the third album and what Yule brought to the band in the studio.

2. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

:)

I'm a bigger fan of John Cale 1970-1984 over any VU, and yet I prefer 3rd and Loaded to VU & Nico & WL/WH. I know the first two are far more original & important, but I just LOVE songs like What Goes On, I'm Set Free, The Murder Mystery, Rock & Roll, Sweet Jane, Who Loves the Sun...

3. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

And Foggy Notion !

"Do it again !..."

Hep Alien and Fullbug like this.
  4. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Sounds like it was made for you!

malco49 and Fullbug like this.
  5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You, Sir, are insane!

:)

6. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Doug Yule in the band was not an improvement over John Cale. It was just different. Both were talented musicians who bought their forces into the group and made great contributions. That Doug Yule was part of the more 'conventional' sound, doesn't make him less important than John Cale. It was Lou Reed who decided they should make more accessible music.

7. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I'm also one of those few! I'm not bashing Cale, I love those first two albums, but I much prefer the 3rd album, Live 1969, and Loaded. I'll definitely be picking this up!

Fullbug likes this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Loaded" was my entry point. I bought the VU & Nico album but, aside from "Sunday Morning", didn't get it. It took "Loaded" to ease me gently into the world of VU. Then I learned to love everything. I will say that I still listen to the 3rd and "Loaded" albums more often than the first two.

My set should be here on Friday. Rubbing hands together with excitement.

BlueSpeedway, gsmile and MHP like this.
  9. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

that live version of ' I can't stand it anymore ' is driving me nuts ,
    it has the clear "Pa Pa Pa" riff on top of the the classic Velvet staccato strumming that is absent from the studio version and was barely audible on the " Live 1969 " version
    It gives the song a very powerful garagey vibe , its fantastic
    and another thing , Moe Tucker rules

Hep Alien, BlueSpeedway, MHP and 4 others like this.
  10. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

VU w/Cale > Roxy Music w/Eno
    VU with Yule > Roxy Music w/o Eno

Musicisthebest likes this.
  11. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

Except that the mono sounds FANTASTIC...

BlueSpeedway and ralphb like this.
  12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I heavily disagree - the VU never did a bad version of this song. The live outtake on the new set is a little mellower than even the live version on the original Live 1969 album (that version is a classic, with Lou's Dallas Cowboys/longset/shortset Q&A preamble spiel and surprising leisurely take on an old chestnut); some say it sounds cowboyish like the Byrds or something, compared to the subway train rhythm on the & Nico album, but in the live club context they worked.

Mike D'Aversa likes this.
  13. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

I think that's about the one thing that every Velvets fan can agree on!

dino77, MHP, LandHorses and 1 other person like this.
  14. dee

dee Senior Member

This has always been my sentimental favorite VU album. So much new old music right now competing for time and money, so am finally getting around to hearing the audio samples of this mammoth set.

15. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

My set just landed. Great service from Bull Moose.

16. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Collected my set from the Royal Mail depot at 07:15 this morning, and it's been a long day's wait, but I'm finally home from work and straight into the 1969 sessions. Wow! I'm loving what I'm hearing so far.

Where next, mono or Matrix?

17. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Ok, I should be receiving my set soon.

18. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I love the laid back Waiting for My Man personally. Listened to discs 4-5 and very happy so far.

gsmile, Mike D'Aversa and MHP like this.
  19. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Oh you make a very good argument, no doubt. Nonetheless, I'm not completely ready to embrace that position just yet(though I'll admit I'm wavering a bit now). But in the end, it doesn't really matter. Regardless of *how* it came to be, The Matrix version is incredible, probably definitive. Getting it in this quality is such a joy.

Mike D'Aversa likes this.
  20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Have you heard the slow "Waiting For My Man" yet? An excerpt of it is on the Matrix sampler (and a different Matrix performance with that arrangement can be heard on The Quine Tapes, albeit in much lower fidelity). That one blows me away. Kills me we have to wait until next year (at least if rumors hold true) to get the complete version of it in this quality.

21. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Jesus, "Sister Ray" is incredible here. That long, slow solo taking us up to the 20-minute mark sounds so alive and overwrought in a way it never did on The Quine Tapes.

22. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

No love for "Artificial Intelligence"? :)

23. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

the new version is a revelation for me , what a great pop song it is actually , ( gone are the 80 's drums !)
    and did you guys notice the 30 seconds of maniac "falling down" screaming at the end of "she is my best friend" ?
    this is new as well , is it Doug or Moe ?

DeeThomaz likes this.
  24. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

It's also on VU if you listen carefully...It's Doug.

I'm going to stand up for the "80s drums" here that some have moaned about. I know they remixed the sound to make it more contemporary but it's not as if they added new drums & percussion effects etc. (a la Zappa). I certainly wouldn't have touched the albums with a barge pole had they done that. Let's be clear: it was a new, modern mix of unheard songs, not some Frankenstein jobbie to sound 'cool' & hip in the 80s.

mooseman, Barry Vaughan and TeddyB like this.
  25. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Matrix!!!

Yeah, it's Doug. He is driving it out pretty wild. It was on the 80's mix, though not as up-front. By the way, 'She's My Best Friend' are the only song on the 1969 Sessions, were I find the 80's version superior. The '69 version sounds a bit rough and not like a finished mix, were I like the smoothness of the 80's mix better.

Coney Island Steplechase has grown very much on me after it has gotten a new mix. Yes, it's a great pop song all the way.
    Though some of the 80's mixes are a bit dated today, they are not without merits. Some of them are quite good and many people came to love the Velvets through the VU compilation, which were and still is, a great record on it's own terms.

extravaganza and TeddyB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.