"The Velvet Underground": Speculative 3rd LP 45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Isn't it the same take of Satellite on PSAS as on Fully Loaded except with an overdubbed bass and remix? Again, we've already been privileged to get a Super Deluxe Loaded, just without the big book and matching box to hold the contents.

2. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Nope.

Two completely different takes.

Which is probably why most prefer the one from PSAS.

It's just, subjectively, "better"...

Hep Alien and Raf like this.
  3. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

I have always held the original Live 69 album in this way, sounded incredible then (in the mid 70s) and now. But then the two cds on the box set sends it through the roof! My favourite Velvets music.

4. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I agree. I guess without checking then that the bassless one was cut in the early two day demo date and the PSAS one during the actual album sessions?

5. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Both demos were cut the same day.

Hep Alien likes this.
  6. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I think most of the "Loaded" demos on Fully Loaded and PSAS are very rough. Lou's voice is in a bad condition, perhaps from playing gigs, and it's almost painful to hear him pushing to reach the notes. And Dougie or whoever it is on drums can barely keep the beat.
    "Sad Song" is an exception.

mr.datsun likes this.
  7. MHP

Both the 'outtake' and the 'demo' of 'I Love You' appears on the 'Fully Loaded Edition'.

Raf likes this.
  8. Mike D'Aversa

Good catch.

Thanks for the correction...

Hep Alien and MHP like this.
  9. Mike D'Aversa

I don't hear any of this anywhere.

Examples?

10. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Most of that demo stuff is unbearable. Would have been better binned instead of released.

dino77 likes this.
  11. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

It's such an unexpected improvement and the extra songs are a treat! I can't stop listening to it. :D

Maybe a Loaded 45th could include the remaining songs/versions from the 1969 live albums not repeated here and any remaining unreleased songs/versions.

12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The Live 69 2xLP album was a nice sequence of songs. Personally, I'd like to see a straight-foward re-release of the historic album using the best quality material there is. Assuming they have the remaining songs in the same quality. And, to be honest, I find the story of the tapes and versions, concerts and tracks behind that album hard to follow.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Playing disc one right now. Magical. Candy Says is such a heart breaker.

MHP likes this.
  14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Sadly, that doesn't seem very plausible. It SEEMS all 1969 recordings (and earlier) fall into their Universal contract, while the 1970 work (including Loaded and Max's Kansas City) is handled by Warners (I'm sure it's actually a bit more complicated than that, but it seems like that's how it has worked on a practical level). If we get the remaining Matrix material (which seems quite likely), it will almostly certainly be a Universal release.

Besides, I can't imagine another label embracing the odd "45th Anniversary" theme. Not that I object to any marketing tag if it facilitates the release of more Velvets material.

Grampire and Hep Alien like this.
  15. DeeThomaz

I love that idea too. It seems possible that a few of the Matrix recordings on Live 1969 are NOT preserved on the Abrams tapes (though Alfredovu's comments on the subject leave room for optimism) but even if they have to resort to a fresh remaster of lesser quality tapes for a few tracks, well, that might not be the end of the world.

Speaking of the complexity of The Matrix story, I've been considering starting a new thread on just that subject. In part, it would be a place to discuss the various Matrix VU releases from over the years & to speculate about any potential upcoming release of the remaining Abrams material, but ultimately my hope would be that such a thread would help make sense of "the story of the tapes and versions, concerts and tracks behind that album" because there is a true wealth of information out there, even if huge gaps remain in the public record.

Not sure how much interest there would be in that sort of deep dive, though.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    Hep Alien, jay.dee, TeddyB and 3 others like this.
  16. MHP

There would be enough interest on this board, to start a "VU at Matrix" or "Rumored 'Live 1969' Re-release".
    I, for one, have just discovered the treasure-throve of these recordings. :)

DeeThomaz likes this.
  17. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

VU live in general is a fascinating and complicated story, so a thread where all of that information can be found in one place (centred on the Matrix tapes as the 'jewel in the crown') would be a godsend.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. MattH

MattH New Member

Speaking of the complexity of The Matrix story, I've been considering starting a new thread on just that subject.

Not sure how much interest there would be in that sort of deep dive, though.[/QUOTE]

That would be awesome if you made a Matrix thread :)

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. thierry

thierry New Member

Father Xmas was kind evough to get me the Super deluxe edition. I am loving it! Speaking of the Matrix CDs here (and also about the 'Live 69' double lp), would anyone know when exactly the songs were recorded? The booklet says 26 & 27th of November 1969 but doesn't go specific.
    I played the Closet mix this morning for the first time, although I think I still prefer the Valentin mix, it was a memorable experience ;)

20. DeeThomaz

I hadn't really been a big fan of "She's My Best Friend" before. But I don't know if it's due to the previously unreleased mix or just the fact that I'm hearing it with fresh ears, but I have to say I'm really enjoying the track/song. I had the thought that if it was released in a Nuggets set by an unknown band it might be much better regarded, perhaps?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Hep Alien and pobbard like this.
  21. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Always loved this track, and perhaps my only criticism of the otherwise flawless PSAS (which, BTW, turns 20 in September) is that they excluded "She's My Best Friend"!

mr.datsun likes this.
  22. voxstarstream

voxstarstream Forum Resident

I have the white label promo (stereo). It is a west coast pressing, for record stores & industry folks. The yellow label promo (which I also have) was done for radio stations ("disc jockey record") and pressed on the east coast. Both are stereo, and both use the "closet" mix; just two different masterings (and different dead wax etchings). I have yet to see this supposed "mono promo" LP.

stepeanut likes this.
  23. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

finally received this and have begun to spin -- mentally, I tend toward the Valentin mix, but it's sure hard to resist the closet mix once it starts playing. Glad I don't have to choose...

24. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

It seems they have finally readied an LP counterpart to the cd box. Acoustic Sounds even claims to have them in. But no details at all, including which mix they used. Anyone know anything?

25. Brett Stampley

Brett Stampley Well-Known Member

Hey guys first time poster, Ive just received the 45 anniversary LP as seen here on amazon, I pre ordered this a month ago.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P11J7BG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I'm a big VU fan and have already bought the super deluxe CD box set. I'm also a huge vinyl fan so I had to get the vinyl version hoping to get some bonus track and/or matrix tracks on the 2nd LP.
    Guess what ? I paid $29.99 for a single Val mix of the album and that's it, no double LP like the other anniversary albums, no liner notes, nothing but a cover and a single LP in a paper sleeve. The only thing that proves that I got the intended album is a 2014 copy write marking. What a rip off! There is a record store 5 min from my house that has the new single lp for $16 and here I am paying almost double that for pretty much the same product. Im not saying this is a bad product, but the price point is obviously from when this was planned to be a double.

I know that I saw a earlier site from Universal saying that this was to be a double LP, so I will have to find that web link and try to return the record. So disappointment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.