"The Velvet Underground": Speculative 3rd LP 45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Box

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvissinatra

elvissinatra Forum Resident

For those interested, the 6-disc super deluxe box is available on Apple Music.

2. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

So: Any rumors floating around among the well-informed concerning a Fall 2015 release (a Loaded reissue or a live 1969 set)? The first three album reissues have been fantastic (love the books!)...

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Not that I've heard. And with the rhino 2 disc set, not sure what else would be in it to entice me Unless it has the rest of the live 1969 tracks not used on the 3d album set.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  4. dee

dee Senior Member

What I like about hearing the album in mono even as a folddown is it offers an absolutely central focus to the kind of introspective, quiet, and gentle performances (esp. vocals) that make up the album. There are no 'horizontal spatial distractions' so to speak of and as a result there are times I feel like it creates an even more direct line of communication between the singer, song, and listener.

I think that That's The Story of My Life benefits from the mono folddown. Just seems more melancholy and resigned to me. It doesn't seem as slightly jumpy, giddy, quirky, or bouncy, as in stereo. Of course I like them all. Just thinking out loud about the folddown mono mix.

5. MatthewK

MatthewK Forum Resident

Sounds like 33:32 to me - so it took 50 seconds to change reels. Or maybe they chose a transition point slightly before the cutoff, I think it's when the rhythm guitar drops to solo. So nicely done it sounds like they switched to a distortion channel on the amp or something.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

So is this purchase a no brainier ?

7. MatthewK

MatthewK Forum Resident

In my opinion it's equal best of the 45th anniversary sets (though I don't have Loaded) but you should be aware that a 4 CD complete Matrix tapes is about to be released, which kind of negates this set's fantastic new-source discs of those recordings. So the Closet and Valentin stereos sound great, the mono has limited curio value, the remastered and remixed 1969 outtakes are wonderful, and the live discs were too, except now not exclusive to this set. If you have a good version(s) of the original album, and plan to get the Matrix box (what VU fan wouldn't?) then the outtakes disc is the remaining reason to get this. If you have VU and Another View, it may not be worthwhile if you are OK with the 80s mixes. Having already bought this, and owning the Live 1969 and Quine Tapes sets, I now have to convince myself that a 4th set of Matrix recordings is worthwhile. Which of course it will be.

dee, DeeThomaz and alexpop like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

70/30 in favour?

9. MatthewK

MatthewK Forum Resident

Depends what you already own, and how likely you are to buy the Matrix box, which is about 1/2 the cost of this set.

10. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

here is the best/economical way to get the closet mix:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Velvet-...254851?hash=item43e5259743:g:gesAAOSwQoFWOPsS
    I think German or UK of the Polydor deluxe series (or probably any EU pressing of these) are great!
    I got the UK and it's excellent sounding, I believe the deal is that original UK, German, Australian or any European or Canadian originals had the Valentin mix originally and then after about 5 years all the reissues used the closet mix.
    Switch that around for the US.
    The 'Deluxe' 45th vinyl for this title sounds exactly like the CD, I think you can get a Back in Black version from EU that at least guarantees a better pressing (my US was warped), and yes it's a travesty that the vinyl was just an exact iteration of the current 'mastering' of the Valentin mix. At least it does sound like a flat transfer (or what I imagine that would sound like) but I would really like to hear the Valentin mix from the first UK cut -that would be interesting to hear.
    Regarding the Loaded thing, I don't even have a DVD player anymore and I really don't get them loading interesting mixes onto a format like that, unless maybe they want to keep it somewhat proprietary and hard to share until they do a vinyl cut. These people have a lot to make up for after the 3rd 'deluxe' treatment and owe us all a nice double or triple all analog cut on vinyl by a KG or BG or someone in that league. I think this title deserves it.

Dino likes this.
  11. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

MGM SELECT 2353 022 would be the actual cat. #

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.