The Velvet Underground: The Matrix Tapes 4CD Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 4, 2015.

1. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

If one is just recreating the 1969 Live Album wouldn't the Dallas tracks on that album sound better than a boot? For my money I will be hard pressed to spend much time with 1969 anymore now having the Matrix box; but then I always did struggle with the sound on 1969.

Edit: It looks like I would be missing "Femme Fatal" and "I'll Be Your Mirror" by listening only to the Matrix box.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Weird, when I searched, I only found a listing for $92 3rd party seller. Still, I wonder if they screwed with the sound of the original boot.

4. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I think the original 2CD boot sounds better to my ears. For one, the Dallas tracks run fast on Live 1969. Also, they have more hiss and distortion from what I assume is an extra analog gen or two. There's compression, but is analog and probably helps in this case. The original 2CD boot is a DAT transfer of the master. It has its problems like low volume and overall weak sound, but quite clean. "Pale Blue Eyes" starts out very low volume and increases a couple times. This was fixed on Live 1969. I think some would find the sound on the boot better and some might like Live 1969 better. But anyone who is bothered by incorrect speed is going to want the boot or to at least fix the Live 1969 tracks. And anyone wanting more tracks is going to want the boot anyway.

pobbard and bmoregnr like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Great version of Femme Fatale, too, but yeah, I'll be mostly listening to the Matrix box from here on out.

dbsea, JoeRockhead and bmoregnr like this.
  6. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

Heavily noise reduced crap. Not worth one dollar let alone 92 of them.

"Oceans" is definitely a dub. Not only is it more hissy and unstable, but the mix hasn't changed at all since the original LP, while just about everything else exists in three mixes (1969 Live, Abrams Sampler, Matrix Box). There are deductive ways to conclude what was done here.

There are definitely some spliced-on intros, but none during the songs themselves that I can hear...except for the reel running out in "Sister Ray". Even the odd splice in "Lisa Says" on the Live 1969 album is not present here.

I think the problem was that nobody had a clue what this set even was until it came out. Promotion was very poor and vague. Amazon advertsised it as an expanded version of the Quine Tapes, and I even had heated arguments with people who insisted it was going to sound like crap and called me an "uninformed idiot" and so-forth. Of course I had the last laugh, but it probably would have been wise for them to push the "only professional stereo soundboard tapes available of the original VU" angle rather than tossing it out there as an afterthought, especially since bad quality audience tapes of these same performances were previously released. Somebody at Universal didn't do their homework, that's for sure.

7. HarrySmith

HarrySmith Forum Resident

Not sure, but I think you might have misunderstood my meaning. I wasn't referring to cuts or splices in the audio recorded on it but to the physical tape itself that may be audible.

8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

"Ocean" seems fine to me, I have not listened to the whole box looking for the dub, but there is a good bit more hiss on "Over You" Version 1 than "Ocean", and "Over You" has some additional compression/thickness to it and duller highs leading me to think it is a dub. I would have to dig out "Ocean" on 1969 again, but listening to it on youtube it seems a good bit different than on this box; the box having much better balance top to bottom with better low end and middle now, and while that could have been eq I suppose it is seemingly from the good mix same as the other tracks, the question for me is was the dub a 4track as well. I have to think it was or the Tape Op article probably would have pointed out any tracks that were not mixed for the box. I am just speculating on any of this of course and I am certainly not claiming any expert knowledge.

9. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

The original VU had John Cale in it. I think if anything the Gymnasium tape would deserve that plug line (if it's soundboard - I forget, but it's certainly good enough). The Matrix tapes are certainly the largest group of previously unheard VU recordings ever to emerge.

mr.datsun likes this.
  10. BigDanT

BigDanT Forum Resident

If anyones interested Amazon UK have this set for £20.63

11. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

Ordered - you made my day!

12. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

Now that this INCREDIBLE release is a year old maybe we can start to hope for another live set soon(ish)?? Pretty please...

13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

You are not operating on VUST (Velvet Underground Standard Time). The last time we had a dedicated live release was The Quine Tapes, 15 years ago. There have been a few other shows released on various box-sets, but TQT was the last stand-alone one.

Not that I'd complain. But we probably shouldn't expect a newly released show until 2019, when EU Copyright laws make it an imperative. And even then, it isn't guaranteed, based on the actions of some of the other iconic 60's artists.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  14. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Still waiting for vinyl.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  15. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

Yes, I'm aware of that, but we've had a nice VU box every year since 2012. Two in 2015 even!
    They are aware of the interest or else all those wouldn't have been released - so why stop now if there's money to be made?
    Take my money, VU!

But, yeah, nothing is guaranteed of course... I'm just "hoping out loud".

16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

What are you hoping for? I'm pretty sure that there is nothing known to exist. I'd love another Cale-era live album but this is wishful thinking.

It's the 50th anniversary of the 1 st album soon, I do wish there was some small thing released to commemorate that but it's unlikely, I feel.

DTK likes this.
  17. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Yeah there seems to be not much left for another full release. Hopefully there's some tidbits still out there. I would like to see the Joseph Freeman tape be released one day.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  18. There's always Sweet Sister Ray, if a major label is willing to go there...

19. Fill Your Head

Fill Your Head Forum Resident

You're spoiled.
    Back in the seventies we was so desperate for VU material that we even bought Live at Max's.

I don't remember how much of my unemployment benefit I had to spend on an EP of Foggy Notion.

You young people today don't know you're born.

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

£1.25p ?

I bought the Foggy EP the year I started art-school, but can't quite remember the price. There was three boots at that time. Evil Mothers, Live 1966 and then Foggy. I still want more. :)

I think Lou would've banned that one. Personally I find it boring compared to their other improvisations. If it still had Sister Ray at the end it would've been worth it. I also doubt that UMG could make it sound any better than the boot, judging by the other early live material they put out.

Fill Your Head likes this.
  21. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

Well, I've never bought any VU boots, so just hoping for any live material really. End of Cole Avenue etc...

Spoiled big time, I know. It's a great time to be a fan of music with all the deluxe editions and what not!

"You young people today don't know you're born."
    I not sure what that means? I'm pretty sure I was born... And you don't know my age, young or old.

Jimmy B., mr.datsun and DeeThomaz like this.
  22. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

But Live at Max's Kansas City is a great live album. :love: The sound quality isn't the best but I love the atmosphere of the recording.

It makes me feel like I'm in a dark, smoke filled, nightclub packed with a crowd of people too cool to care. :cool:

23. Fill Your Head

Fill Your Head Forum Resident

Yeah.Go get me a double pernod.

That record must've done wonders for the sale of pernod among decadent rock fans in the seventies.

mjt5282 and ralphb like this.
  24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

RIP Jim Carroll.
    I don't know, I bought that when it came out and at eighteen I was more into double scotches.:)

Fill Your Head likes this.
  25. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I love Max's. It's even better when it runs at the correct speed (a bit slower). IIRC, it was @rnranimal who hipped me to that.