The Velvet Underground: The Matrix Tapes 4CD Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 4, 2015.

1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Me three. I've been listening to it since 1974 and that's the way I've always heard it.

mr.datsun, asdf35 and stepeanut like this.
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

This got me curious, because the "born/doomed" lyric appears on genius.com (Yeah, not exactly the Encyclopedia Britannica, I know).

But both Matrix versions, and the studio version, are all clear as a bell ("one/two"). I just checked.

Could someone have a cloth ear this bad, or is there a version around (by the VU or someone else) with the "born/doomed" lyric?

asdf35 likes this.
  3. stepeanut

stepeanut Make sure that candy's in the original wrapper

I’ve never heard a live version with anything other than the one/two lyric.

So many bad Velvets lyric transcriptions online. I don’t trust them.

mr.datsun, RayS and asdf35 like this.
  4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Without access to the CD right now (at work) but the youtube version of the studio track is a little garbled at that spot. I'm experiencing a laurel/yanny effect...can hear both if I try. Mostly one/two though.

However, the live version is one/two clear as a bell up in the sky.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    stepeanut, RayS and ralphb like this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Listen to the 'closet mix' on Peel Slowly or the 45th box, it is clearly "one/two"... the standard album mix has the vocal track a bit more recessed but it's surely the same thing

RayS likes this.
  6. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

I wonder why lyrics where only included in the VU & Nico 45th and not in the next ones.

7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

According to Lou himself, as printed in Pass Thru Fire: The Collected Lyrics, it is "One minute one one minute two".

asdf35 and stepeanut like this.
  8. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Another RSD come and gone...still holding out hope for an LP release of Matrix Tapes someday

lightbulb likes this.
  9. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Sort of quiet on the VU front...
    After the great Matrix box, somehow I was expecting a nice issue of The End of Cole Ave by now. Was that so foolish of me? Or did I miss something?

10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

For both promotional and copyright reasons, I think it’s 50th anniversary next year is the most likely date for an End of Cole Ave set. If we don’t get it then, then I doubt we’ll ever get it officially. Which would be too bad, as it seems Universal has a better source tape than what currently circulates.

11. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

What evidence is that based on? The Live 1969 tracks being better quality than the bootlegs of both nights? I've not A-Bed them recently but my memory was that they weren't massively different? Great news if true

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The Live 1969 tracks are actually lesser quality than the best bootleg of the 2nd night. But Universal has since released a few stray tracks on a French CD EP which show they have (or had) a better tape than what was used on 1969 and the best bootleg. Not a world better than the best bootleg but better and has more between song content.

The first night recording has barely audible vocals and doesn't sound near as good as the 2nd night. There has never been official release from this night and I can't imagine they will.

13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I miss this, now scalpers ask for $100+ :thumbsdow

weirdoc and timnor like this.
  14. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

What do people think is left to be released of the Velvet Underground live?

I saw a stray comment that John Cale had more tapes of his tenure with the band but couldn't be bothered to look them out. I find that very hard to believe.

The other is the Joseph Freeman tapes. No news at all on that front. Is the guy even still with us? I could imagine it being thrown out with the trash in some circumstances there. More likely is that he didn't get offered what he was asked by the record label and sold to a collector.

1969 is pretty well covered for the VU. In 1970 they just weren't that active. Late Cale era would be the time of most interest. A "What Goes On" with Cale is my top wish.

15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

As you say, that period is well covered, I'd rather one tape of live Cale era than another box of Yule era.

hallucalation likes this.
  16. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

A high quality recording of an outdoor gig where they played a bit differently might reveal something new from the Yule era. I really do like them as a band then but it's very well documented. I listened to the samples from the Joseph Freeman tape relatively recently. I think this would be a very interesting show to hear in full.

But I think the most interesting time is the July to September 1968 period just before Cale left. In part to compare them with the period just afterwards. I'm not that interested in the early live VU, we have some recordings anyway. Another mid to late 1967 show would be nice. I'm really not that hopeful of anything more.

I regularly visit the Velvet Underground forum to see if there is Freeman tape news! They're still finding film and photos that are very nice but, new sound recordings, not so much. The most interesting sound recording they highlighted was a pre-VU version of Heroin by Lou Reed.

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Forum

17. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

OK, that's interesting.

I was a subscriber to "What Goes On" mag, which was fine if you were OK waiting two years for each new issue, and got a couple of those "After Hours Tapes", and do pop into "Electricity comes from other plaNETs" for updates and info.

steelinYaThighs and MarkTWIC like this.
  18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I agree with everyone, and for what it's worth, just sent an edit to genius.com - waiting for approval.

The other funny thing is that genius has the chorus down as 'lady be good...' I edited that too. Who could imagine Lou writing something as naff as that?

steelinYaThighs and RayS like this.
  19. DeeThomaz

Good question. I got the distinct feeling the subsequent SDE boxes were on tighter budgets than VU&N. Despite retaining the basic format, none of them had quite the same "wow" factor in the packaging (though part of that might also be there was so much more visual material to draw on from their Warhol days).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  20. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Is there a pix of this French CD EP somewhere ?

21. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Some of us still grasping for straws hoping that Owsley Stanley recorded the Velvets opening for the Dead in '69. According to Owsley, he recorded all openers during that time period, but his estate is very secretive with what's in their vault.

22. DeeThomaz

Whoa. I never made that connection, but it seems so obvious now that I think about it.

Does anyone happen to know how the Flying Burrito Brothers live set from his tapes was discovered/negotiated for release?

Chris M likes this.
  23. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

DeeThomaz and PhantomStranger like this.
  24. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

"Prinz (Amoeba co-founder) found the tapes among the 16,000 hours of material in the Dead's vault, and after considerable lobbying, convinced Owsley Stanley, who oversees the Dead's material, to license the Burritos material to Amoeba's record label. It was a coup because Stanley, a.k.a. the Bear, hadn't licensed anything from his personal vault since 1970."
    Parsons release a discovered trove

25. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm