"The Venture Bros." Ongoing Discussion (The Thread of Calamitous Intent)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by vince, May 29, 2008.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law Thread Starter

So.... since no one else seems to care:
    I watch this latest episode a second time, and first......
    WOW! Jeffrey Wright was the voice of THINK TANK!!!!!
    Second:
    The show seems to be moving away from the main character's 'personal problems', and dealing with a whole SLEW of new characters!
    Don't get me wrong... I'm still in, but, this IS a new direction for the show....
    Who knows..... maybe this will widen the audience...... maybe?

charlie W and Vidiot like this.
  2. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I think there is one more episode in this season. I'm not liking the new direction the show has taken: much less humor and favorite past characters not present this season. But I do like some of the new villains inside the Guild.

3. vince

Gonna watch it 'On-Demand' in a few hours...

4. vince

Not bad!
    Not the biggest Warhol guy... I got most of the references, but, I'm sure a few went over my head.
    They played the Hank story with a lot of heart... definate move away from the norm, but, Monarch and 21, bumbling their way through things.... classic "Venture Bros."!

I'd love to hear a Warhol fan's take on it!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  5. vince

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Two more episodes, one on 3/13/2016 and one on 3/20/2016. I really love the show and it'll be sad to live without it for another year.

7. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Over the recent seasons, there is always one stand-out episode that rises above the others. "A Party For Tarzan" is it. Great narrative and writing! Why wasn't someone in Hollywood tasked Hammer and Publick to write the next James Bond, Star Wars, Mission Impossible or big budget spectacle is beyond me. I thought we would finally learn who or what killed Dr. Jonas Sr in this one.

8. vince

uuuuhh....... Should I know who Christopher Lambert is?
    I know they said "The Highlander", & "Lord Of The Apes"... but....
    Is he THAT special?
    AND.... AND....
    The REAL Kano (I mean, real from the show, NOT real life) is still alive..... isn't he?

9. vince

OH.....
    and, were those 'voice-over' narrations supposed to be a 'Martin Scorsese-film-refrence-a-thon'?
    Was that a real song, at the end?

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I dunno, but I burst out laughing at the Taxi Driver references, particularly the solo jazz piano thing and the narration through the cab window. I think I had a dozen laugh-out-loud moments where I had to pause the DVR to catch my breath. This is a damned funny show. And the animation has never looked better.

vince likes this.
  11. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Tonight is the season finale. Any guesses on possible cliff-hangers? I miss Dermont, Dr. Orpheus, Al and Jefferson Twilight.

vince likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, and don't forget we had a brief appearance by Henchman 24, who's been out of the show for years.

Since the show is mostly about failure, maybe Dr. Venture will do something to lose all the money yet again, forcing them all out into the street...

13. vince

I saw commercial for it! (I watch the 'back-to-back' episodes of "Bob's Burgers" during the week)
    Some 'red-skull' guy's coming for the Dr.
    I haven't a clue how it's gonna end, but, it seems like The Guild and the O.S.I. have to 'team-up'....!

14. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I saw that, too. But my cliff-hanger guess is Dr.Mrs.The Monarch finally learns the Monarch is actually Blue Morpho and must decide whether to expose him to the Council of 13 or keep it secret.

15. vince

I gonna have to watch that again!

16. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Amazon has a deal on for some Adult Swim dvds including the Venture Brothers.I ordered seasons 3-5 on blu-Ray myself.Reading a few reviews,I had no idea the episodes are 'edited for television'.Here's the link if any one is interested...
    Amazon.com: Deal of the Week: Video »

17. vince

18. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I got the first soundtrack CD when I got Season 4 on blu-ray. I love the music though the tracks are not very long. I'm surprised no one tapped him to do a feature motion picture. He would do a fantastic James Bond soundtrack.

19. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Do they not offer seasons 1 and 2 on Blu-ray? Amazon has 3-5, but that appears to be it.

20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

No, seasons one and two are DVD-only. (Also, I think they're the only ones "edited for TV", which is kind of misnomer. The censorship (back bars over nudity and bleeps over profanity) was put there by the creators themselves. To uncensor them, they'd have to re-animate and re-record to get them to match later uncensored seasons. I'm not sure it would be worth the effort, honestly.)

21. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

22. vince

Ken_McAlinden, 93curr and dbsea like this.
  23. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I can't wait for season 7. This is one of the very few shows I rewatch from all the way through at least annually. I'm currently finishing up season one. I really should watch with commentary on one of these days, but the episodes are so good I just want to watch the character development and world building.

vince likes this.
  24. vince

The commentaries are 'hit & miss', but sometimes... when Doc 'goes off' on one of his 'music tears'....
    comic GENIUS ensues!

dbsea likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

dbsea likes this.