The Verve - Urban Hymns (2017 Box Set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raimiz1991inc, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It’s certainly possible.

2. veon

veon Forum Resident

Has he used ideas from Verve demos on solo records before? If so, wouldn’t he have to credit the band? I’m not sure how they split writing and publishing credits.

James Bennett likes this.
  3. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I noticed when the demos meant for the box set popped up on YouTube back when but haven't kept track of them, really. Does anyone know if they are around in decent quality?

4. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

That’s a very astute hypothesis — never thought of it. Noel G certainly does it; why not Dick Ashcroft?

5. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Not if he wrote them. There was a Verve demo of “New York” — can’t think of any others.

PhantomStranger and Rupe33 like this.
  6. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

As to splitting credits and how the policy changed towards the end of the band's original run, the guitarist Nick McCabe discusses this very point in this interview: Urban Hymns At 20: DiS Meets Nick McCabe / In Depth // Drowned In Sound

Search for "contentious point" for that part. It is worth reading the whole thing too.

meandafoe and James Bennett like this.
  7. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

There's a set of eleven flacs out there that sound excellent. They're up on DIME if you're familiar with that torrent site.

Buda and Saintbert like this.
  8. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Forum Resident

It seems likely that Ashcroft nixed those tracks from the box set as a way to protect the story he's been telling about UH for over 20 years now.
    That story being that UH is a solo Richard album and that McCabe was just there at the end to add to what Ashcroft has already written. Like much of his post and in-between Verve life, it was a move that was self serving. The 'leaked' tracks prove that the history he has been peddling is false.

Buda and A Man Called Sun like this.
  9. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Eh...Verve are one of my very favourite bands ever, have been collecting their singles for b-sides which are often as good as album tracks and quite often even better.
    But I simply couldn't care less for new Ashcroft album, no matter if he uses some old Verve ideas or invent some songs himself.
    His solo career is in fact my biggest music disappointment: first album quite decent with "Song For The Lovers" really great and then just downhill.
    His last solo album is so bad, I had to double check if it's not some kind of a prank.

How I'd love to see a Verve reunion, those 4 guys just forgetting all regrets, smoking some good weed and making an mindblowing album again...

jamesc, Hallogallo and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  10. Hallogallo

Agreed.
    They tried to do a 20th Anniversary tour for A Northern Soul but that got nixed by Richard.
    I will probably hold that against him the rest of my life!

11. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Well, Richard...
    [​IMG]

Hallogallo likes this.
  12. A Man Called Sun

A Man Called Sun Forum Resident

A Song For The Lovers, C’mon People, Lord I’ve Been Trying were all recorded as Verve demos in 1996 and were released by Richard on a subsequent solo album

His latest record has a song called Bird’s Fly which was also a demo.

The Verve-Don't You Want Me (Remastered+Lyrics)

The Verve - One more for the lovers (A song for the lovers DEMO)

These were all written in 1996 before Nick came back to the band. As a little anecdote, Nick never played on A Song For The Lovers but has lamented how disappointed he was to hear the studio version Richard released because it was nowhere near as good as the “wistful” demo recording the Verve had put down prior to his return.

Another demo and one of the last things they recorded before they split after UH, All Ways are Maybes was apparently attempted by Richard for one of his solo albums, but he couldn’t “get it to work” (or words to have effect).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    jamesc and Rupe33 like this.
  13. A Man Called Sun

Nick mentioned on Twitter that there might be another live compilation being released, so maybe some of the other radio sessions that haven’t already been released will be on that.

Hallogallo and jamesc like this.
  14. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Incredible these days how they can make a whole picnic out of a sandwich.

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I am 100% here for that, since hopefully it'd cover pre-UH material.

16. walrus

I feel that way about some of these expanded box sets, but really Urban Hymns could've been a double album, some of the b-sides are that good (and the unreleased tracks that surfaced after the set came out are pretty interesting as well). And the live set is a really historic moment in the band's history. This one is one of the few worthy of it's heft.

17. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Fair enough. I had it on CD, liked about three songs and can't bear Bitter Sweet Symphony. Let's hope those b-sides are worth it!

18. Hallogallo

That would be incredible.
    There's still some tracks that I suspect are hidden in the vault, so to speak.

I'm not on Twatter. When did Nick mention this?

19. Hallogallo

Honestly, every album except maybe Storm, could have been a double album. The Verve have B-sides that are so much better than the songs their contemporaries put on their albums.

Tokyo Ghost and Rigsby like this.
  20. A Man Called Sun

A couple of months back

Nick McCabe on Twitter

It’s good scrolling through Nick’s timeline, he responds to loads of Verve related tweet and gives a lot of interesting insight into the band, from the formation of tracks, to unreleased material and band politics.

Hallogallo likes this.
  21. walrus

I never thought much of the Northern Soul b-sides, honestly. And there's already 10+ minutes of pure filler on the album proper ("Brainstorm Interlude" and the Stormy Clouds reprise)...everything else on that record is pure brilliance, but there wasn't much leftover, IMO. The pre-Storm singles and some of that record's b-sides were great though. What a catalog.

22. A Man Called Sun

I’m not massive on the ANS b-sides, there’s a couple of really good ones, but the best tracks made the album. I prefer the studio outtakes that were on the deluxe boxset, but they made the right decision to hold off with things like Come On, Echo Bass and Rolling People and saving them for UH, they sound much more dynamic and energetic than their Northern Soul counterparts, even though those versions are still really good.

I’m not sure ASIH could have been a double album, as they were short of material going into recording that record. They had to thrash out tracks like Butterfly in a matter of days to make up enough tracks. Most of the b-sides like 6 OClock were recorded months later as they didn’t have anything left over from recording the album that they wanted to release.

walrus likes this.
  23. A Man Called Sun

But as for Stormy Clouds and Reprise being filler. I have to strongly disagree, they’re probably the best album closers out of all their other albums.

This version makes the hairs on your neck standup

BadJack, Hallogallo and Beaker73 like this.
  24. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

I couldn’t agree more!! I wish that they would release that complete gig.

A Man Called Sun likes this.
  25. walrus

Yeah, I was just thinking if the pre-ASIH singles hadn't happened and instead ended up considered for the LP. The singles + b-sides for "All In The Mind," "Superstar" & "Gravity Grave" are basically a full album's worth of quality Verve.

jamesc, mcwlod and A Man Called Sun like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.