The Verve - Urban Hymns (2017 Box Set)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raimiz1991inc, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Forum Resident

There were some songs on The Java Heat soundtrack.

1. See Through You
    2. Give Us Back
    3. Living In This City
    4. Sunset Red Light
    They cover Talk Talk's 'Renee' on the TT tribute.

And a song called 'Rope'd Soul', I think, which is another cover...... can't remember who. Last name is Martin?

There's also the original Kurofone EP from when they were called The Black Ships.

walrus likes this.
  2. Hallogallo

John Martyn

Revolver likes this.
  3. Hallogallo

4. Hallogallo

Sunset Red Light

5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Thanks! Found the soundtrack too. Adding all this stuff to my library ASAP.

Hallogallo likes this.
  6. Dave_B80

Dave_B80 Forum Resident

amazon.co.uk link for deluxe vinyl box is missing. Can someone please post here? Thank you.

7. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Urban Hymns [VINYL]: Amazon.co.uk: Music

If this points to the us site, go to amazon.co.uk first, then search by the asin number B071K15BC6

Dave_B80 likes this.
  8. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up on them. I wasn't aware of Black Submarine but did like the cover they did of Renee. Will have to check out their album!

JeffMo and Hallogallo like this.
  9. Hallogallo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nick McCabe added 2 new photos.
    23 hrs ·
    So as you know due to some leaked CCTV footage, since removed, Pete Salisbury and myself have been playing together for the first time in 9 years. We got an 11th hour invite to play Tim Peaks at Kendal Calling this Sunday at 17:00. We're going to do a little instrumental something with one Martin Blunt (Charlatans) on bass.
    Maybe see you there

10. Hallogallo

[​IMG]

Nick McCabe added 4 new photos — at Tim Peaks Diner, Kendal Calling.
    17 hrs ·
    unate to have several nice chats with.
    The amazingly talented, beautiful and all round superb character Denise Johnson joined us after a 11th hour 59th minute invite, another fulfilled ambition (or at least initially [​IMG];-) )
    Martin Blunt, Pete Salisbury and myself would like to say a hearty thank you to Denise and not least all the superb people that risked the (thankfully delayed) downpour to see our set.
    I have clean kecks and socks on now, enjoying post gig plateau... heaven. X

11. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

Huh, I looked for a thread on this a week or so ago and couldn't find one but then it popped up today when I was trying to find the tracklist.

I pre-ordered this and am very much anticipating it. I only had the three original albums and the early b-sides disc so quite a bit of this will be new to me.

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Anyone bought it?

Today's out there!

I'll be waiting for your reviews

:wave:

Hallogallo likes this.
  13. Hallogallo

There's a recent McCabe interview on drownedinsound.com.

Can't link to it as it is blocked at work.

faz09 and Defrance like this.
  14. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

faz09, Defrance and Hallogallo like this.
  15. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Ordered from the UK to Canada as it works out to just under CDN$80 shipped, hope to get it next week sometime. Can't pass up getting that DVD even if it's just for a couple watches and then resell it. Looking forward to hearing how the sound is compared to the original CD but not holding my breath for good news! lol

16. Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons ___________________

My vinyl box is set to be delivered this afternoon. I don't think the regular album will sound better than my OP, but I'm looking forward to live show and the b-sides/Singles bonus tracks to be on 2LPs, instead of across 4 12".

17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Anyone know if there will be a Vinyl Reissue of just the album itself without having buy the Box Set?
    I am getting the CD Box Set, so that is good enough for me to have the extra Music, but would like to add the album to my start up Vinyl Collection.

18. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I wanted to love Black Submarine. I followed them for what felt like years leading up to the album release. I dropped something like $60 on the vinyl version of the album via their Kickstarter. It was a huge disappointment. The album is mostly a mess of ideas that don't fit together at all. I wish I had better things to say about it. The band promptly fell apart after their support slot with Echo & The Bunnymen didn't work out (due to Ian M. pulling dates, I believe). I hope McCabe is eventually able to pull together a project that gels. I'm a huge fan of his.

AlienRendel likes this.
  19. Further

Further Forum Resident

Yup. I ordered from there, too. Shipped UPS and should be here by Wednesday. If you like the band and the transfer was done well to DVD, I can't see you wanting to get rid of it. In fact, it's the only reason I ordered the set. As far as I know, it's the first release on DVD of the documentary, which is fantastic. I've had the VHS since release but it's been buried in a closet somewhere for years and I jumped at this chance to get a new copy. The extra concert footage and videos, etc. are icing on the cake. You'll love it.

dobyblue likes this.
  20. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I have the VHS and got it when it first came out, I ended up around 2006 or so buying a DVD-VHS combo deck, a good one, so I could back up primarily that VHS as well as Mother Love Bone's Earth Affair and one or two home vids.

Yeah if the DVD is really good quality, it's highly unlikely I'll sell it. Really hope the 1996-1998 film has a 2.0 PCM track.

Further likes this.
  21. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Looks like they didn't go to town on the remastering which is good news, here's a look at the amplitute statistics in Audition for Sonnet:

1997 CD:

[​IMG]

2017 CD:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ever so slightly more pumped and brickwalled but in terms of levels should sound pretty similar to the 1997 CD.

22. A Man Called Sun

A Man Called Sun Forum Resident

Here you go: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Urban-Hymns-VINYL-Verve/dp/B01HCFGO32

That was reissued last September along with the Northern Soul and Storm in Heaven reissue

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  23. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

There already was. It came out last year and has a "Remastered on 2x180g vinyl" sticker on the front.

I have it and think it sounds good. I'm betting most people around here hate it :)

24. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Got my cd set today. Just starting to work through the 5 cds and 1 DVD. Ripped it all to my computer. Sounds good so far, but I need give a listen on the big system.

ccbarr likes this.
  25. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Ditto this. I just got the whole box set ripped to FLAC, am listening to the remastered album on my Pono with an A20 Beyerdynamic headphone amp and Sennheiser 700 cans and so far it sounds really good. Crisp and clear, but with punch.

JeffMo and eelkiller like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.