The Verve Vinyl Reissues....Universal Music Catalogue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rst72, Jul 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rst72

rst72 New Member Thread Starter

What is the consensus on UMC reissues?

On 9/9/16 they are releasing reissues of The Verve's A Storm in Heaven and A Northern Soul.

Originals are very rare and $$$, so this is AWESOME news, but I have no idea on UMC's quality of vinyl reissues.

Would love to hear from people who know.

2. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I saw this, and it looks like "A Storm in Heaven" is remastered by Chris Potter, using the original 1/2" analog tapes.
    I have the original vinyl, but won't mind plunking-down the dough to have the new re-issue.

The Verve - A Storm in Heaven (Vinyl LP) »

Looking forward to having "A Northern Soul" on vinyl, as well.

3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I'll pick up A Northern Soul. I wore that album out in high school.

4. wowiezowie

wowiezowie Forum Resident

Shame they aren't offering 24bit downloads, I'd be all over that. It'll be interesting to hear how A Storm In Heaven sounds, I've always though it was rather light on bottom end.

5. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

I just got an email from Amazon UK that my ASIN lp has been dispatched. It's weird though since I preordered both lps including A Northern Soul. I wonder what's up with the delay for ANS.

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Must be the silver foil cover:wave:

7. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

I have mint originals of both. The sleeve for Northern Soul is a thing of beauty, I'm curious how well the reproduction will look.

8. ianbrown21

ianbrown21 Forum Resident

Does anyone know yet whether the North American version will be Optimal as well?

9. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Just been comparing the ASIH reissue with my orginal copy. The original has more life in it, maybe because the higher freqencies are more pronounced. The reissue doesn't sound bad, but a little dull in comparison, there's definitely some compression going on there. It is a lot quiter than my rather beat up original issue, so there is that. But overall, I think I will be playing the original pressing, crackle and all.

Neonbeam likes this.
  10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Any more reviews?

11. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

Received my LPs today. "A Northern Soul" is a superb pressing. Nice and clean soundstage, no pops or hiss. I only have my old CD to compare to, but this reissue definitely wins in terms of sonic fidelity.
    Unluckily, I cant say the same for "A Storm In Heaven". What a wasted opportunity! Plenty of clicks and pops throughout play and a somehow dull/digital lifeless soundstage. The music seems to come through thick curtains. My old cd (hut) sounds so much cleaner and better in direct comparison. I will have to look for a replacement copy of the reissue vinyl to see if I only got unlucky with this very pressing.

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I just got A Northern Soul. The records are flat and blemish free and the packaging, as mentioned, is about as good as i could have expected...it really caught my eye instore.

Anyway, i need to set some time aside to listen....bought so much lately!

Im interested to hear from anyone who has the new Urban Hymns cut...and especially how it compares to the Capitol one.

13. Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons ___________________

There is a new cut of Urban Hymns?

14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yes there is a new 2016 Urban Hymns pressing? Its also done at Alchemy by Matt Colton.

Good chance it could be better than the Capitol, as i heard a digital recording anyway (cannot be certain though!) and the Capitol was cut by Ron McMaster!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just playing 'A Northern Soul' reissue and i think it sounds pretty damn good....very full, smooth sound to it....certainly doesnt exhbit some of the traits i dislike of modern vinyl reissues. Quite suprised as my expectations werent huge and it has exceeded them a little. Tempted to pick up the new cut of 'Urban Hymns' tomorrow....

16. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

A Northern Soul reissue spinning atm- nice reissue. Clean, flat vinyl. Never heard the original but this one sounds good to my ears. Will definitely look for the new reissue of Urban Hymns to replace my lackluster Capital Vaults copy.
    ATB,
    Mark

17. Neonbeam

Bought an original "UH" Hut pressing at the completely ridiculous Discogs fair in Berlin yesterday. They are neither rare nor expensive. And they sound great.

18. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

That sounds like bootleg ... How many copies did you see and for what price?
    Discogs has quite a few "originals " , still sealed for about 20 euros, I don't think that many elpees were pressed in 1997.

19. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey Forum Resident

With UH I would suggest the low price is less about volume of supply and more about demand. Subjective I know, but UH is the low point creatively (but not commercially) for Verve. It's an album I never listen to and would certainly not covet a copy on vinyl.

20. Neonbeam

So you think I'm not able to identify an original pressing? And what in my post implied that it was a counterfeit? All I said is that I bought it at a record fair. I didn't even mention the price. Strange reply that:help::help:

With a little bit of homework you would have found out that "Urban Hyms" isn't very attractive for the forger because it was in print for a very long time on Hut Records. Always with the same or very similar matrix so the devil to identify a 1997 original - without having to rely on the limited envelope sleeve - is in the detail.

21. Neonbeam

Agreed that this is not "A Northern Soul" but it's a healthy seller. Maybe this is one reason why it has been in print on vinyl more or less constantly since 1997. If this had gone oop around 1999 - like so many albums from that era - we would easily be looking at a £100 record. But like "OK Computer" the record company repressed it frequently.

22. Neonbeam

BTW: I wasn't talking about the Discogs website, I was talking about Discogs very first record fair that took place in Berlin yesterday from noon.

23. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Hey relax, I was only asking you about the price of these originals because you didn't mention it and how many you saw. If you count represses as originals as you seem to do, that will explain the price.

I want to replace my 2008 copy for a reasonable price because it sounds rather dull.

Enjoy the music!

24. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I wouldnt personally call Urban Hymns a lot point in creativity...it was a hugely successful album and almost universally praised by critics.

25. Bubbabob

Bubbabob Active Member

Just ordered both in the Deluxe Boxset CD format.I'll report back when received.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.