The VHS Revival Culture

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by paulisdead, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous Thread Starter

I couldn't find a thread covering this so I thought I'd post this. It may be of interest to the hi-fi boffins

Recently, there seems to be an underground nostalgia for VHS. There are two documentaries in production, a fan magazine, blogs and countless YouTube videos of VHS collectors showing off their collections. Most of it comes from the children of the 80's who have a love affair for the cover art and fuzzy image quality.

In Rewind This! one of the interviewees even says: "...I can see VHS having the same type of recusance that vinyl has now".

Documentaries

Adjust Your Tracking
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qes6RXbyCIU&feature=related

Rewind This!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgPIysM1m54

Magazines

Lunchmeat VHS
    http://www.lunchmeatvhs.com/index2.html

Blogs

VHS Wasteland
    http://serialkillercalendar.com/serialkillercalendar/VHSWASTELAND/

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Well, VHS IS analog, so there is much for the faithful here to admire about it.

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

You mean when you compare it side by side to HD you admire it more?:D

kanakaris likes this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

VHS collecting seems to be big particularly with certain kinds of people on YouTube. If you search "VHS collection" you'll come up with all sorts of videos. It's kind of fascinating how dedicated some people are to it. I'm not sure if some of them ever actually watch the tapes, they just seem to like collecting them, and sometimes filming the "previews" that come before the movies.

Of course, Disney tapes are big with collectors. There are all sorts of variations on the tapes and cover art. It's sort of interesting how the box art changes over the years.

paulisdead likes this.
  5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I recently needed to replace my "prosumer"-grade JVC VCR ... and it was HARD.

Try finding a comparable product in new condition. Not easy ... but do-able via eBay. (They stopped manufacturing standalone VCRs in 2008.) Not cheap, either. In short, I located a new, unused and still in-the-box model (manufactured in 2000) for $400 (and that's after I got the seller to lower the price by fifty bucks).

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'll never understand the extremists. It has to be ALL about a format, or trash, dump, and burn a format. Why ?

There's a middle ground. If you have a working player, and tapes, and you enjoy watching Beta, VHS, Laserdisc, or listening to an 8 track, enjoy. You don't need the approval of others.

7. paulisdead

Horror fans, I've noticed are some of the biggest of the new videotape fans. Who argue that see these 80's slasher films on VHS is the "best" way to enjoy them.

As for Disney, I'm sure anyone Disney buffs with a copy of this film can tell you how much they appreciate the format.

[​IMG]

8. shokhead

Already having it vs looking for it to use again is different and I don't know where this approval of others comes from.

9. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Mark my words, soon we'll be seeing Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs open its new UHQ VHS department.

"Now watch Terminator, in all its original analog glory!"

Master_It_Right and paulisdead like this.
  10. paulisdead

:laughup:

:edthumbs:

11. shokhead

Snow and all.:goodie:

Opps! Now that I think about it Ihave a few boxes full of VHS, mostly all the Disney movies. I smell retirement income.

12. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

:rolleyes:

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Most fans of the movie have upgraded to a pirated DVD of it by now. I sure wish Disney would just release the damn movie officially with some kind of disclaimer or documentary that puts the movie in context, and a boatload of extra features.

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Even I have a pirated DVD of Song of the South.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I always thought it was weird that they based an entire attraction (Splash Mountain) around this movie that they're so paranoid about actually releasing.

It's nowhere near my favorite Disney animated movie but it does have some pretty good songs and the animation is really beautiful. I've heard it's been restored and is just sitting in Disney's vault awaiting a release.

16. Myke

Waiting for the overly-sensitive phase to pass ?

17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I just dropped off 5 large boxes of VHS tapes at the dump.

18. Myke

Here, we have " Buy Backs " who pay cash for VHS tapes. :agree:

19. Dennis Metz

IE Not as much as the faithfull would have you believe!:cheers:

20. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

They should've released it as part of their movie club or one of their Disney Treasures in the tins.

21. Dennis Metz

I had to pay a $5 dumping fee:cheers:

22. butch

butch Senior Member

Beta and Laserdisc really put VHS to shame. There are still Laserdisc hounds who are hyperfantical when it comes to that format. You know where you could see movies in widescreen , with extras in a higher resolution unlike the cropped, lower rez/quality of VHS with nary an extra to be found. There was something great about the Laserdisc artwork, it's analogous to record album artwork in some way. And the size was LP size.....

23. Myke

I've never seen a Laserdisc's picture, or heard it's sound. Closest I ever got was holding the sealed ones they had at Mediaplay.

24. butch

butch Senior Member

It probably came from the Japanese(or maybe even the Hong Kong) Laserdisc. Laserdisc had no copy block, because it ruined the picture!

25. butch

butch Senior Member

Laserdisc has digital and analog soundtracks. The sound in analog was pretty good better than DVD's sound.It's a shame an analog CD(much like LD's analog track) was never made,it could have been an audiophile success..... At its best it had a filmic beauty that DVD didn't have because of the copy protection and digital artifacts. Though DVD is sharper, Laserdisc appears more real looking. In other words, the way a good print looks like at a movie theater as opposed to a hyper real/ cartoonish version on a digital format. I do like Blu-ray as the sound is more like LD!:winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.