The VHS Revival Culture

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by paulisdead, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Sorry. Should've guessed as much from the part of your post that I didn't quote.

2. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The ones to get are the machines with built-in TBC's. Even the inexpensive Panasonic AG-1980, which is a very rudimentary TBC, can do an OK job.

4. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

One of mine is the Panasonic AG-1970

5. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

The comparison doesn't work for me. I can still see the appeal of vinyl, particularly the 180g reissues, but VHS? I was glad to get rid of the format and would never go back to it. I'm even pleased to replace DVD with bluray. Vinyl, however, still holds an attraction, and I can never envisage completely replacing it with CD.

6. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

I was taking the piss Johny!

7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I'm glad. What a crazy idea! ;)

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

VHS was the worst video format ever!

murphywmm, yasujiro and McLover like this.
  9. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

God, I've still got five drawers full of stuff to transfer to DVD one day. I used to record a LOT of TV from the mid-'80s to around 2005 when I got my first DVD recorder. Bought a decent Panasonic VHS machine for £5 around a year ago, but still haven't started transferring yet. One day.....................

10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Helping a friend of mine move and going through his VHS tapes.
    He was constantly recording TV shows & movies (majority of which is available on DVD now).
    Some stuff he wants to save like news events (2003 space shuttle disaster & 9-11) & home movies.

Darryl

11. SonOfAlerik

Ditto. Got my first VCR in '85. Bunches of tapes I have yet to transfer.

12. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Oh come on now. The only thing it could possibly have in common is:

- sparks instant nostalgia for some
    - you once could find them everywhere used for dirt cheap. Only difference is that there is a big group of people who collect used vinyl while only a small group now collects VHS (like others have said previously, many of which are horror, Disney fans, or those who are gripping on to releases of their favorite film because it is not available on any other format yet).

A more apt comparison is VHS to audio cassette as they share so much more in terms of characteristics (recordable format, lower in quality to its brothers, smaller artwork, more likely destined for the dump, etc.).

13. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

What software is recommended for transferring the tapes to digital?

14. DragonQ

DragonQ Forum Resident

They're both older analogue versions of newer digital technology and are inferior in every measurable metric. Sounds a good analogy to me. Just because vinyl is more popular doesn't mean it's any better.

15. I have a fairly new (when I got it) Panasonic VCR. I haven't used it in a couple of years. I hope the dust doesn't warp the insides. I'll have nothing to watch my 100 or so VHS tapes on.

16. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I still buy them. I'm suprised at the number of still sealed vhs tapes I find for a buck or 2. My VCR's still work so why not?

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I gotta say, it's very, very hard to watch VHS in 2014 without wincing.

18. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Remember when new VHS tapes were sold for more than $50 dollars in the '80s?

Vidiot likes this.
  19. SonOfAlerik

I remember seen a copy of ALIEN on VHS for something like $80 back in the early 80's and wanting it so bad. Even though I didn't even have a VCR yet.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, $70-$80 for certain new releases, circa 1980-1984. I believe the industry parlance was "Priced for Rental," meaning they gouged the retail price so that dealers would have to pay through the nose for rental copies. Maybe six months later, a new version would come out "Priced for Sale," and it'd be $29.95 or something reasonable.

Sad when you consider that even back then, it cost under $1 to make a VHS tape and under $1 to duplicate a movie onto it. So there was huge, huge profit in the VHS business... for a time.

21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

This was definitely $50+ when it came out.

22. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

The "rental pricing" scheme went on well into the early '90s too, but I think it definitely declined sometime around 1992-ish when most "big" movies started being released at "sell" prices right off the bat. It still went on to some degree at least til the late '90s, as I was working at a library with a large video collection at the time and some titles would still be $50-90 bucks upon new release (we generally didn't order them and just waited for the price drop). I think DVD really killed rental pricing off for good, but they kept on gouging the remaining market for VHS as long as they could.

Vidiot likes this.
  23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The first commercial video tapes I bought were the Star Wars trilogy, around 1986. I think I paid $29.95 for each ($65 each in today's dollars!), which was a fortune at the time.

I love the cover artwork on these releases:

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure these were the first (Jedi) or second time (Star Wars and maybe Empire) around for these titles, and the first time the price was somewhat affordable.

24. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

This guy has an interesting overview of the different releases:

25. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

Hahaha I knew I was making the right decision keeping all my old tapes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.