The Voice season 13 -- Sept. 25, 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Monosterio, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident Thread Starter

It starts tomorrow! :pineapple:

Miley Cyrus is back, Alicia Keys is out and Jennifer Hudson is in.

2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I like Hudson a lot. Some interesting singers so far, especially last night.

I wish they'd stop forcing (at least it seems like forcing) any young, acoustic "folk" singer to wear that stupid brimmed hat all the time. That prop is a trope and even though the particular singer that has worn it so far this season (Monday I think) didn't make it through, it's guaranteed to pop up again. Let it go, Voice producers, let it go.

3. Monosterio

My favorites so far are the first and last contestants from Monday (Chris and Brooke) and last night's final singer (Ashland). And I'm hoping there are even better ones to come -- last season's winner, after all, was the very last contestant to audition.

4. Monosterio

Adam Cunningham ("Midnight Rider") should be around for a good LONG time. I really like this guy.

5. Monosterio

If you're not watching The Voice, you're missing the best season since I've been watching the show (since early 2014). Unlike the past few seasons, I have no idea who's going to win -- and it's not for lack of talent.

6. Bobby Buckshot

Getting into the live episodes and wow - that Maroon 5 performance was hot garbage. I've got no idea why there's any need beyond the digital instrument players and singer to even be on the stage (well, paycheck I guess). Marred what was overall a show of decent/good performances.

7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I'm not a huge Maroon 5 fan, but I do like several of their hits. I wasn't watching the show, but I heard the performance from the other room and really enjoyed it. Are you griping about the musical aspects of the performance being bad, or the "live" aspect of the performance not being any good (which I didn't see)?

8. Bobby Buckshot

Both. Although the actual performance was worse. Maybe they do that as to not upstage the amateurs who are competing, but it wasn't fun to watch or listen to for me.

9. Monosterio

Monday night’s performances were so good, I had no idea who would join Adam C. in the bottom two. And the only reason I knew Adam would be there is the flaw at the start of an otherwise excellent performance.

This has to be the best season I’ve seen of any TV singing competition. Everyone is really good — including Jon, he guy who went last night — and I can’t tell who’s going to win. (I do wish Moriah had made it to the final 12, though.)

10. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

As usual, now that they are at the live rounds things are starting to fall apart -- at least to my hears. I only heard a couple of performances that I thought were solid from beginning to end. Of course that didn't stop the judges from claiming that every performance was spectacular.

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  11. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Just noticed my typo -- "to my hears" instead of "to my ears." :laugh:

12. Bobby Buckshot

It's 2017 man, nobody minds :cool:

13. dude

dude Senior Member

Janice Freeman gets the boot after that performance? That was one of the best ever on that show. I don't know if a lot of people know a great rock performance when they hear one, anymore.

14. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Seems to me that the voting is definitely skewed in favor of younger people. The bottom two were definitely not the weakest performers, but they probably were the two oldest.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  15. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Looks like I'm wrong in that Red is actually older and Janice is only in her early thirties. Wow. She looks much older than that to me. I do think it's odd she was the one who went home given that hers was one of the few performances that was actually good this week. I guess I just hear things differently than the fans of this show who decide to tweet their opinions.

Speaking of which, one of the things I just don't get about this show is that instant save. Given the time difference, by the time the show airs anywhere but the eastern time zone the voting has obviously already been completed. What an odd idea to present to an audience that they have an impact on who ultimately leaves when, in fact, it's only people in the eastern part of the country and people in the studio audience who have actually seen and heard the bottom two perform. Sure, you can follow The Voice on Twitter and just read about who is in the bottom and start tweeting, but then you are deciding based on your already established preference between the bottom two, not based on the performances they just gave. In all, a very screwy way to decide who goes home. I don't personally care because I'm not inclined to vote anyway, but for fans who are more invested in the outcome of the show I cannot imagine that this sits well with them.

16. Bobby Buckshot

I'm pretty sure producers can veto any fan results they don't like, or even present phony results as the "voting" is being calculated. I don't trust a darn thing on these types of shows when it comes to fan votes, etc. I'm just here to enjoy the performances.

Alan G. likes this.
  17. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Same here. That's why I wrote that I'm not really invested in the outcome and wouldn't bother to vote in the instant save even if I did live somewhere where I could see the performances being judged.

18. Monosterio

Holy crap, Chloe Kohanski! WOW! She was the highlight of last week’s show on “Total Eclipse of the Heart,” and so far her “Call Me” is the best thing tonight.

At the moment my money’s on her to take this.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i was channel surfing and came upon 'the voice'.......there are no words to describe miley cyrus, seriously, no words.

20. Monosterio

With the exception of Red, the contestants headed for next week’s showdown constitute my ideal final this season: Brooke, Addison and Chloe. Whomever of those three wins, I’ll be happy; if it’s Red, not so much.

21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Some of my preferred contestants have already left. Of the remaining people, I would prefer to see Brooke win. I'm just relieved that Noah didn't make it through to the finals since it seemed to me that his popularity was more based on his looks and stage presence than singing ability.

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't think they'd dare to rig audience vote results. Too many consequences.

I'm amazed Red snuck in but oh well. I like the other three, I'd love to see Addison win.

I'd much rather see Noah than Red. I think he has real arranging and phrasing talent and is a focused performer.

And though he over-sang by ten Davon Fleming reminded me of Buddy Miles in so many ways! I wish him well.

PS: I still dislike this drummer.

23. Monosterio

Noah was good but needed to do something to break the sameness of his performances. Chloe, a similar (but savvier) contestant, found a way to shake things up week after week.

I agree with Lonson about Davon. And, yeah, Addison is my favorite too: But, again, I won’t mind one of the other ladies winning.

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't see Chloe being any different week after week than Noah to be honest. Noah actually IMO had a broader range of material. Lots of sameness to her delivery and phrasing. That's normal with singers. I like them both, but just don't see Noah the same way you do.

25. Monosterio

Well, whatever the reason, while I initially preferred Noah, in the end I’m glad Chloe is the one who made it to the final.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.