The Wachowski's "Jupiter Ascending"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Jan 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I won't argue that Speed Racer is a good movie, but it is the greatest exercise in psychedelic eye-candy I have ever seen, and I watch the Blu Ray regularly.

Sounds like I'll enjoy Jupiter.

Olompali likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

In other words, it's just what I'd expect from those two.

I still can't forgive them for The Matrix sequels being so terrible.

3. It's probably great with the sound off while playing records loud. I can dig that.

Mark Nelson and brew ziggins like this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

saw the ads on TV yesterday...looks good to me!

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

You've got to be kidding me! Where did this film come from! Holy cow, did the producers immediately bury it upon completion or did Lucas sue it out of existence? Wow. Is that real Ray Harryhausen. What the heck, they stole the mask from Zardoz, the creature from Invaders from Mars and I won't even mention where the other 99.99 percent came from.

I was going to say the worst more of all time .... until Caroline Munro showed up. Now I have to watch it!

A funny Youtube comment:

"Still better than Star Wars Episode 1-3"

Bwahahhaaha

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  6. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

That commenter is not referring to the Luke Skywalker arc, which was Episodes 4-6, even though they came out first.

7. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

:laugh:

somnar likes this.
  8. Ghostworld

The hell with Marjoe Gortner...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bobby Buckshot and Mark Nelson like this.
  9. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Not ALL Europeans! :)
    The Matrix was the fluke, really. The movie that was there, telling the right story at the right time with some smart effects. The rest: a lot of Science Fiction Opera with equal parts George Lucas and Terry Gilliam with some storylines from Philip K. Dick thrown in. It looks great but for me (after seeing the Matrix Sequels, V for Vendetta, and Cloud Atlas) there's a huge lack of humour.

10. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Saw the film yesterday with my daughters (ages 17 and 20), and while we went with the intent to wisecrack our way through it (which we did), it didn't seem like it was that bad. Some goofy acting choices for sure, but it held together for me. The visuals were over-the-top, with some unique designs as you would expect from a Wachowskis film. The ships were especially cool, with a segmented look I don't think I've seen before. Good article on the visual design here. Why does this bomb, but Transformers/PacificRims make millions?

[​IMG]

11. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Part of my problem with ornate visual designs like the one above (and the even more elaborate mothership) is that they look great in stills or matte paintings, but when
    they're zipping around the screen among laserblasts and explosions, it's just a blur of moving metal parts. Ditto for the TRANSFORMERS films, actually, where the
    million-moving-parts robots get lost amongst the million-pieces-of-metal debris showering the screen.

CoachD and Rocker like this.
  12. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I just got back from seeing this (in 2D). I enjoyed it. Not a cinematic masterpiece by any stretch. Cheesy in parts (Starlight Express kept coming to mind) and very over the top, but I don't think it was trying for much. Just an entertaining action popcorn movie. For fans of not "high-minded" sci-fi action stuff. I liked it a heck of a lot better than Gravity, though Gravity was much better made.

13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Did they do Bound?
    I loved that movie - so much fun

Captain Groovy likes this.
  14. chacha

How is Eddie Redmayne in this?

15. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I almost felt that Redmayne was so bad in this that it might jeopardize his Oscar chances.

16. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Redmayne wasn't bad. The character (as all the siblings were) was very one-dimensional though. This was a very "broad-strokes" typle of movie. No thought required when viewing it.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's called "Doing a Norbit"! :D

I don't think Redmayne's work in "JA" will affect his Oscar status, though, mainly because he's not the lead here and so few people saw the movie.

We'll never really know if "Norbit" harpooned Eddie Murphy's shot at an Oscar, but it was a much higher profile blotch on his record. It was a big hit and featured Murphy in a very prominent way since he played multiple characters.

I wouldn't even have known Redmayne was in "JA" if I didn't read threads like this - Tatum and Kunis are the actors advertised the most for it...

18. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

When Andy Samberg was doing his Nicolas Cage impersonation on SNL, he said one of the requirements for a Nic Cage to be in a movie was that "all the dialogue is either whispered or screamed." That was Redmayne in this film. :D

19. Ghostworld

I'd be screaming if they made me wear outfits like this, too.

[​IMG]

He's like the male Slave Princess Leia.

benjaminhuf, Mazzy and Dudley Morris like this.
  20. chacha

He's usually a great actor. So that must be what the Bros wanted.

21. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

This is exactly what I thought.

As soon as I heard him speak in JP - in that vaguely husky, low-volume manner - I figured "Well, this must be one of the not-so-reputable characters in the story" because why would a person with good intentions & a sunny disposition ;) express himself in that manner?

Redmayne's costume: no surprises there, for me anyway ----> he's a member of an incredibly powerful royal family (e.g. they own dozens of planets, PLANETS!), they're swimming in money, they've been in power for ten of thousands of years, he's arrogant and I highly doubt he mixes with the dirty masses to see what's in style at the moment..........so yep, he's going to dress the part.

BTW: there's a short sci-fi story I read years ago about a race that was technologically advanced enough to build fully-operational stars, but when a group of humans encountered them, the latest generation had grown so arrogant about their race's previous accomplishments they had pretty much stopped advancing themselves technologically and culturally, and no longer even knew how to repair those sparkling/mind-blowing systems. And one of the results of this overall cultural stagnation was an obsession with fashion, footwear fashion to be precise, and using it to show others their status: the higher the heels were, the higher up they were on the social ladder. The author described a scene where many of the aliens could barely walk without wobbling and/or tipping over because of those high heels.......

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

come on they weren't that bad to hold a grudge...

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

We must be aliens then.

24. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

I've always suspected the author might be making some type of veiled commentary about our own society.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.