The Walking Dead Season 6! Sunday October 11th 2015!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I've seen dumpsters on wheels a little guy could slide under as well as the kind that sit on the ground.

JimC likes this.
  2. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

All the fuss about Glen is amusing. As serious a moment as his death may or may not have been, the fact is it was simply just one of the oldest plot devices you can find in Hollywood; a cliffhanger. A car goes off a cliff with the hero in it, end of episode. The next episode shows the scene but has the hero jumping out of the car, and miraculously latches on to the only branch sticking out of the cliffside, hence, the term 'cliffhanger' was born. Discussing the plausibility or whether the show jumped the shark is fun in a purely 'fanboy' kind of way but it should be remembered that the premise of the show is based on a zombie apocalypse! Logic and realism has no place in a discussion about TWD.

PHILLYQ, JimC and Mr. H like this.
  3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I think one of the problems with the Glenn death thing, and what showed that it was manipulative, hack writing, is that they didn’t make it a cliffhanger. They did everything they could to make it seem as if Glenn had actually been killed, while retaining enough ambiguity to make it plausible he might survive.

Showing Glenn in the middle of falling into the zombie pit and fading, that’s a cliffhanger. Showing him fall off and completely encircled by zombies, along with a camera angle that, for some, made it seem initially that he was being eaten alive, that’s not exactly a 50/50 cliffhanger.

Additionally, even if it was meant to be a 50/50 cliffhanger, this show is just not set up to do that. Even beyond the already-available set photos of Glenn shooting with a *new* character (meaning little chance that it was a “flashback”), they have the whole ridiculous “Talking Dead” infrastructure where they immediately had to have a statement from the showrunner trying to get the fans to stop complaining about Glenn’s death, the “non-appearance” in the “In Memoriam” segment, etc. That they *then* removed Yeun’s name from the credits *after* they said he’d be back was extra evidence of laughably amateur showrunning and manipulation.

Despite Hardwick’s cherry-picked “that was awesome!” fan tweets and guest panelists that think everything the show ever does is “amazing”, there are a lot of viewers who stopped caring about Glenn’s fate, either because they put too many episodes after it, or they knew Glenn was going to survive due to the overwhelming evidence, or some other reason.

And I’m sorry, but stretching the first eight episodes out over the course of one day is like an even more elaborate version of when they cut the last Harry Potter or Hunger Games movies into two (or the entire “Hobbit” series for that matter). The first eight episodes should have filled two or three at the most. At *best*, they’re trying to get a delicate balance of not getting too far ahead of the comic book series, requiring the slow-down. At worst, they’re just creating filler because the show is lucrative. I’d argue they could have kept the overarching storyline relatively stagnant but still made these eight episodes more interesting. I’m amazed that there are fans that still complain about the “slow” second season at the farm, when this season is less interesting and moving at an immensely slower pace.

I predict Gimple will be dropped either at the end of this season or next; Gimple hasn’t won the show any Emmys or anything, and while he may take this show 100% seriously and work 20 hours-a-day on it, he certainly *seems* to be kind of “whatever” about the show. I’ve never heard an insightful thing from him about the show. It’s always obvious stuff (“this represents Rick’s struggle between good and evil”, etc.), and that only comes after the episodes air.

Gimple’s current formula for the show isn’t totally invalid, but it doesn’t work when the writing is so weak. Either speed it up and dispense with stuff like Enid and Glenn just sitting there on screen forever and not saying *anything*, or get better writers that can make these people say something interesting and original. There’s only so many ways to say “you have to fight to survive” or “the only way to live is to kill”, and so on. They’ve said it a hundred times on this show already.

trem two, bopdd, Mr. H and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Isn't the show getting terribly repetitive in a broad sense at this point? It's basically:
    1. Find a safe place.
    2. Something happens to make that place no longer safe.
    3. Flee.
    4. Repeat infinitely.
    So far we've had that with:
    • The CDC
    • The farm
    • The prison
    • Terminus (though to be fair, that was pretty much immediately unsafe)
    • Alexandria

Kyhl, Shawn, Pete Puma and 1 other person like this.
  5. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

U guys talking about jumping the Shark

Weren't they all trapped... Going to die and a tornado came and killed all of the Walkers ??

Couple years back. ???

GentleSenator, EVOLVIST and JimC like this.
  6. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

The whole premise of Home Improvement....Tim Allen screws up on his TV show, gets into an argument with his wife, talks to Wilson about it, screws up the advice, but the wife forgives him anyway. And that show went for like 10 years!

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

no matter what BullS#@t they pull It's still the one of the best shows on TV!

Rufus McDufus, MikeInFla and JimC like this.
  8. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I enjoy it, but it really depends upon how long you want to make that list. There are a LOT of great TV shows on right now.

HadgeTunes likes this.
  9. I don't feel the Glen thing was jump the shark. Totally plausible. First I never felt those inside body parts were his. He wasn't screaming in vain. No loss of facial color and he had room to slide under the dumpster. The parts were obviously on top of him. That worked for me.

My problem is the lazy writing leading to mediocre acting.

Rufus McDufus and JimC like this.
  10. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

I wonder how Daryl, Abraham and Sasha are going to fit in next week's episode. I presume they're driving towards Alexandria.

Michael likes this.
  11. Are you watching Fargo and/or The Knick?

These make TWD look like a Pop Warner team playing against the 1966 Green Bay Packers. Score 99-0, Packers.

Though TWD, I just can't quit watching. My kids love it! It's become a family thing.

12. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I would bet we will see those rocket launchers used quite a bit.

Nothing against Rick, but do you know how easy it would be to get those walkers to leave? Just cover yourself in guts, walk past them, then fire up a car and make them follow you. #HELLO

Rubber65 likes this.
  13. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I believe this particular literary device is known as "Chekhov's Bazooka."

JimC likes this.
  14. Yeah Fargo and the Knick really show what great writing, directing and acting is really all about. Both Amazing shows.

chrischerm and EVOLVIST like this.
  15. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

You bring up a important point and the true jump the shark of the show.
    Rick and Glen and then Carol have both used this method as well as Michone in a round about way.
    I can't recall right now how things went down but didn't they can the original
    director and writers as well as half the budget after the first season ?

16. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Don't know about that but I read somewhere that a reason the whole ensemble has barely been seen together this season (like they used to) is that the actors have a paid-by-the-episode contract, so the show's keeping its costs down by doing what they've done this season. Here's the thing, isn't this show like the biggest draw on TV? I was under the impression that it's massively successful. So where's the money? Game Of Thrones has been a huge hit since it's inception and each season has gotten bigger and more extravagant in every way. Why does TWD always seem to be getting done on the cheap?

17. The got rid of the auteur Frznk Darabont someone who really knows how to tell a story.

18. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

the Glenn cliffhanger was a cheap ploy for ratings

Hawklord and mattdm11 like this.
  19. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Game of Thrones doesn't use its whole ensemble or even all the major players in every episode either. Peter Dinklage was the only actor to appear in every episode last season.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Starring_cast_appearances#Appearances

Rufus McDufus and DeeThomaz like this.
  20. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

There's not much evidence of anything about the dumpster, so it can be anything the writers wanted it to be.

John K.

jriems and JimC like this.
  21. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I'd add The Leftovers to those two as well for the holy trinity of current TV..

EVOLVIST likes this.
  22. Michael

of all the seasons so far the last 2 have more annoying characters by far...

23. Michael

of which they really do not need! it only accomplished to piss the dedicate fan off...IMO.

24. Michael

dumpster on wheels is the only logical answer...they really did not need to show the wheels as Glen has a backbone...

JimC likes this.
  25. Michael

sounds about right, but there will be obstacles!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.